Whats your current "goto" exercising drink?

walter

Fourth Party
I've been using NutraBio Intra Blast for a few years now on the bikes, for running and for overall hydration at work during the summer. Looks like they may have discontinued my favorite flavor, so i may be looking to try something new. I usually have a bottle of "fuel" on the bike and water in my camelbak. What do you all like to drink while on rides/runs/general work outs?

Typically only water, but on long road rides when I'll stop at a store to refill, I'll often get a Gatorade G2 (lower sugar version); preferably in the grape flavor. This is usually what I keep at home as well. I'll also have one in my cooler for a post-ride drink - especially if I'm riding with my teammates and a post-ride a "PLB" or two will be part of the equation.

I’ve been using Gatorade G2 for years now and it seems to be just the right balance of sugar and energy (G2 is the low sugar version). For long rides I fill both bottles and then add a few heavy shakes of table salt to each bottle to add a little extra sodium cause I sweat In general so much even in the winter.

I also take along the NuuN tablets they are light and not too sweet just note you need 2 tabs for a 24+ bottle of water.

After a ride I will have a small bottle
Of regular Gatorade in the car as a recharge and then I just drink as much water as I can the rest of the day to rehydrate and avoid cramps.

For short rides under 2 hours just plain water.

Usually "Zero", better than Gatorade, but Training for what?
Fireball07.jpg

I use water with a few dashes of Morton's Lite Salt. It contains both salt and potassium. It's like swimming west of the Route 70 bridge on the Manasquan.

GU tabs. Extra concentrated when I mountain bike. Normal otherwise. Water in camelback. Calories from actual chew-like food.

Long rides (hot, over ~3 hours): will either pack/prepare a bottle of flat soda, then mix half-half with water. I'll buy it and shake it up if I'm desperate, but I really don't like carbonation when working out. The whistling bottles also drive me crazy. Never noticed a particular difference with regards to fancy hydration products personally, and it suits me just fine not needing to clean salty sweat off everything.

Short rides: water. Sometimes I'll drop a pinch of sea salt in the bottles if it's particularly hot.

If I need calories, I eat them, can't tolerate Gu, and only barely tolerate shot bloks. In order of preference: cow tails, peanut/peanut butter m&ms, trail mix, swedish fish. LONG long rides, I'll pack 2 PB-and-generous-tablespoon-of-honey sandwiches. The honey crystalizes the bread, and keeps it from leaking as much as jam/jelly. If I could figure out how to 'candy' the bread with honey and make it not sticky, it would be perfect for me. And also make me gain back all 45 pounds I lost over that last 10 years.

The cold dictates how much fireball I mix with redbull . Unless I feel like getting rowdy then I usually grab a big can of monster

F Bomb!
one of the better drink names that doesn't include peach schnapps.

If I’m trying to fuel a workout i go heavy on the carbs. 80g an hour for hard trainer workouts. I’d rather over fuel and nail a workout than under fuel and not succeed.
i think water and something light is ok for endurance paced workouts but when you get to tempo or higher, get that sugar.

Here’s is a recipe for something with the same amount of carbs as beta fuel, Maurten, carborocket, or the new skratch superfuel. And they are all $2-$4 per serving where this is like 50 cents.

52g Glucose
26g fructose or maltodextrin
1g sodium alginate
1g salt

Last edited:
Skratch Labs for long rides, for really long rides when I stop, I normally do G2 or split regular Gatorade into two bottles. Short rides H20.

Back
Top Bottom