What's your bike weigh?

Ian F

Spot Ryve 115 (basically stock 6 star XTR build): 26 lbs. w/ CB Candy pedals.
Santa Cruz Chameleon in 27.5+ mode: 31 lbs.
Santa Cruz Megatower in normal DH mode: 36 lbs. Trail mode "Enve wheels from the Ryve w/ trail tires): 34 lbs. It may gain a bit when I swap out the rear shock for a CC DB Air.

The SC bikes are custom builds from bare frames. Shimano/GX AXS drive train; I9 wheels (but not light versions); AXS dropper; both have CC Helm 1 forks.

Yeah... 30 lbs. give or take is pretty normal for the average trail bike these days. Pure XC-race FS bikes can be down in the low 20s, but they can often be less than pleasant to ride when not racing. Race hardtails can be under 20 lbs. without too much trouble. Tire choice can make a big difference.

xc62701

Lightest bike I own is my Specialized Epic Hardtail 18.0 lbs. My road, cross, gravel bikes are a touch above that. FS bikes are all around 25 lbs. Heaviest bike I own is a Aluminum Specialized Fuse at 29 lbs. I'm definitely a weight weenie. I won't own a bike if it's 30+ lbs.

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Mountain bikes have definitely gotten heavier, because of the new expected travel and performance set ups. Depends on how critical you are about your set up. Longer travel and a performance oriented fork will weigh more, but if you ride a lot of rocks, you will most likely want it. I have found that 25# is my magic number for what I can give up riding at Ringwood or ant rocky place. I usually go XX1 and lightest everything, but still ride 2.3 - 2.6 tires, Fox Factory 120mm and oury grips, all which ease neck and hand arthritis. I tried out a DVO 130mm fork for a while and while the the longer travel and big hit compliance was fantastic, the small bump was not better and I wondered if it was worth the extra weight for me. Anyone else, I would say yes.

I can see why some people have gone e-bike when the bikes weigh more, but to me the whole purpose of mountain biking is to reap the health benefits.

one piece crank

I have no idea what any of my bikes weigh. I took the jump to big tires in 2008, repurposing DH stuff to burly SS action. As long as I can pedal it up a hill, I don't really care about weight. Now on a steel framed, 5-inch-tired fat bike, and I'm kind of amazed there is no significant affect on my ability cover miles.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Mountain bikes have definitely gotten heavier, because of the new expected travel and performance set ups. Depends on how critical you are about your set up. Longer travel and a performance oriented fork will weigh more, but if you ride a lot of rocks, you will most likely want it. I have found that 25# is my magic number for what I can give up riding at Ringwood or ant rocky place. I usually go XX1 and lightest everything, but still ride 2.3 - 2.6 tires, Fox Factory 120mm and oury grips, all which ease neck and hand arthritis. I tried out a DVO 130mm fork for a while and while the the longer travel and big hit compliance was fantastic, the small bump was not better and I wondered if it was worth the extra weight for me. Anyone else, I would say yes.

I can see why some people have gone e-bike when the bikes weigh more, but to me the whole purpose of mountain biking is to reap the health benefits.
Interesting you say that. I went specifically with a DVO because of small-bump compliance as I have a lot of hand issues. Blown away how much better it is than my Fox that I struggled with.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
My new Switchblade (160/142), without pedals, came in at 31.25 pounds.

XX1 build with Code brakes; Reynolds Black Label Enduro carbon wheels; DHF 2.5/DFR 2.3; Fox Factory suspension.

We didn’t weigh my prior bike (Trail 429 V2 w/Fox 36) but I‘m quite sure it wasn’t any lighter.
Pretty sure the Trail429 (size L) is heavier. I think mine is like 33 pounds.
My hardtail is about 23.5 pounds.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Pretty sure the Trail429 (size L) is heavier. I think mine is like 33 pounds.
My hardtail is about 23.5 pounds.
Yes, I was recalling the photo of your bike on the scale from the prior thread. My bike was essentially the same as yours.

Pedals add somewhere in the vicinity of .75lb., so I'm figuring 32 pounds, give or take, for the Switchblade, also size Large, which is plenty good for my current purposes.

tonyride

Don't piss off the red guy
Interesting you say that. I went specifically with a DVO because of small-bump compliance as I have a lot of hand issues. Blown away how much better it is than my Fox that I struggled with.
Maybe the OTT setting wasn't dialed in.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Holy crap. I thought that was supposed to be their light trail bike.
The primary criticism of the Trail 429 V2 was that it was over-built. Like super-burly and laterally stiff, but too heavy for a 120mm trail bike. The “enduro” build with Fox 36, burly wheels and Minions just amplified this. But the weight of mine never bothered me, because the DW Link works so well (as you know from your Ripmo) and I loved how I could stuff the 36 into any situation and it would readily handle it.

Pivot addressed this with the V3 (current) iteration. We weighed a V3 with a 140mm Lyrik, and it was 30.75lb. with pedals. Put a Fox 34 or a Pike on there, and it’s lighter yet, I imagine.

serviceguy

Aluminum Fugitive LT on 2.6" tires, 35+ lbs 'light'. I replaced the Fox 36 with a Fox 38 and the Fox DPX2 with a Fox X2, both I'm sure added to the original 34sh lbs but the feel has improved (at least going downhill, I suck at climbing anyway).

I don't have the guts to weight the Honzo ST with a Fox 36 and 2.6" tires, looks burly though...

CNJRider

Joker
In order of lightest to heaviest all with pedals, tools and bottle cages and size M…

Epic Evo w carbon wheels 26#
Vitus Nucleus hardtail 30#
Vitus Mythique w alloy I9 wheels 33#

Evo feels like a featherweight after riding the Mythique.

Cassinonorth

The primary criticism of the Trail 429 V2 was that it was over-built. Like super-burly and laterally stiff, but too heavy for a 120mm trail bike. The “enduro” build with Fox 36, burly wheels and Minions just amplified this. But the weight of mine never bothered me, because the DW Link works so well (as you know from your Ripmo) and I loved how I could stuff the 36 into any situation and it would readily handle it.

Pivot addressed this with the V3 (current) iteration. We weighed a V3 with a 140mm Lyrik, and it was 30.75lb. with pedals. Put a Fox 34 or a Pike on there, and it’s lighter yet, I imagine.

Good stuff, thanks for the rundown. And absolutely. 32 lbs with DW Link is like 29 lbs otherwise...it climbs so well.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
Ok, you guy’s er…people, got me curious. Now I’m not gonna weigh all of them, but…..I’ll do it for the two newest ones.

Now, as a disclaimer. I’m weighing them “As I ride them” (excluding water). This means with pedals, bottle cages, repair kits, bells, Garmin/light mounts and any “trail” they came home with.

The 5010 is 32.87 and the Maniak is 28.73.

JDurk

Holy crap. I thought that was supposed to be their light trail bike.

Good stuff, thanks for the rundown. And absolutely. 32 lbs with DW Link is like 29 lbs otherwise...it climbs so well.
All this talk about weight had me thinking that it's been awhile since I weighed something on the bathroom scale other than myself. 2 bikes in the garage that see most of the action, the other 2 are at the LBS.

Rigid SS, Indy Fab Steel Deluxe with Enve carbon fork and Stan's Flow EX/Hope wheels, Forekaster 2.6/2.35 tires = 23.2#

'21 Pivot T429v3 XT Race build, One Up carbon bar/RF Turbine 32mm stem, OEM wheels, Rekon 2.6/2.4 tires = 30.8#. Climbs and descends better than any bike I've owned. The '16 Scalpel that this took over for is a fast but scary bike and around 25# with a Thomson dropper, Hope brakes, Stan's Arch MK3s and Rekon 2.6/2.4 tires. Haven't ridden it in over a year and before my fitness and weight loss over the last year. Kinda curious to see what I can do on it now before I sell it.

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
my scalpel was 22.9...then I added a 150 dropper, tire inserts and better tires, now its 24.5 or so....but god, it 1000 times more functional with those mods.

My tallboy 3 was about 28-29, then I added cushcore and big tires, its probably 30 or so now....

My bronson was 30 when i got it, 31 or so now with the inserts

My firebird is ~35 with inserts.....

Top Bottom