What's the going rate for a......

rlb

car detailing? 2017 Subaru Outback to be exact. I'm planning to trade it in soon and weighing the cost/benefit to making it look a little nicer. It's got some bugs and sap to be taken care of and 1 or 2 bird poop stains that will hopefully come out. Any recommendations on places?

jackx

car detailing? 2017 Subaru Outback to be exact. I'm planning to trade it in soon and weighing the cost/benefit to making it look a little nicer. It's got some bugs and sap to be taken care of and 1 or 2 bird poop stains that will hopefully come out. Any recommendations on places?
Are you inquiring about exterior vehicle detailing only, or interior too?

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
I think it’s around 200-ish. Unless the car is exemplary they’ll often auction it off. Getting it detailed vs car wash will improve appearance as they’ll buff it, but I can’t say how much (if any) it’ll improve trade in value. You could get it washed then spend a little time with some goo-gone for the stains.

Reactions: rlb

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
meh. Don’t waste your money if trading in. Just wash it. They’re going to full detail it again before sale.
this, the last time i traded in a car they didnt even look at it when i told them what i wanted for it and I got well over KBB/NADA shit

Mathers

Don’t bother. It won’t help your trade in value.
If you want a real detail and not just a wash and wax it will be north of $500.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I concur with thoughts here. Etching from bird droppings will likely not come out without a multi-stage compound/polish. Wash and vaccuum the car and trade it in after dark (easier in the winter) and on a cloudy, rainy day. Also check Carvana. It gives you a better idea of what it may be worth in the inflated market we are in right now. For example, my GLI is worth $23,200 on Carvana and I paid $20,700 for it new a year and 8500 miles ago.

If you want, swing by my place and I have a few products we can try on the spots, if there are really only a few spots. If you are set on getting a full exterior detail, I have a guy. He worked on Manny and Tim's cars and I believe they were happy for the relatively low cost.

EDIT: Buy this and soak everything. It will not hurt paint or clear coat and may soften the stuff up enough to remove it safely.

xc62701

I agree with the sentiments above. I recently bought a car and they gave me a price for my trade in without seeing it. I worked my butt off to clean it and hoped they would give me more when they saw it. Nope. Just wasted my time.

rlb

Thanks, so I'm going with the "fuck it" approach. I may try to get the biggest stain out if I can find some time. I do have some idea of what I'm doing (from the pre-kids days) though I'm betting all my stuff is shot now, hasn't been touched in ~4 years.

w_b

F it. Detail it if you keeping it, or private sale.

Or, teach the kids to detail it and eat bonbons.

Top Bottom