What's old is what's new

F

fighting_40

Ok I am not feeling THAT OLD, but I thought in keeping with my ID I would start my hello accordingly.

My name is Larry. Any of you who have been racing XC in NJ for more than a few years have probably at least seen me in passing. I used to film alot of the local races. JORBA, RVCC, Adventure races, triathlons etc..

I stopped taping for DVD around the time the 24 hours of Allamuchy changed owners. (can't recall how long it has been)

So I like to ride at the Tourne park fairly often because of it's convienence.
Also like Ringwood and my newly discovered Hartshorne.

Who knew the shore had hills??

Luckily, it is also close to Gunnison beach so I can make a day of it soon :D
Hope to see you all on the trails...and some of you at the beach.. (I hope you know which category you fit in.)

mike_243

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
welcome aboard....
my wife tells me life starts at 40 but that means I just turned 10...
I hope to get up to Hartshome this year for the first time it is supposed to be a great place to ride.maybe see you up there or if you get down a little south allaire.

walter

Fourth Party
Luckily, it is also close to Gunnison beach so I can make a day of it soon :D
Hope to see you all on the trails...and some of you at the beach.. (I hope you know which category you fit in.)

Awesome! Im old, flabby and shriveled up, see you at Gunnisons!!!:D

NJ Jess

NO way

No way you are 40,.....you can't be the guy I was talking to in the parking lot when I was looking for Mr Chainsaw. Hummmm, me thinks you are really Mr Hatchet? Still training for the extreme race,....to take the money shots? Welcome to the mtb funhouse,....lots of money shots here,....usually face plants and road rash. hee hee hee

F

fighting_40

Hey Mike_243, thanks for the welcome.
I am about 10 miles from Hartshorne now. I work in Wayne, so I also hit Ringwood and the Tourne weeknights. Tourne more often since it is 287 south rather than ringwood which is a bit north

F

fighting_40

Shaggz,
I am curious about that nickname. Afraid, but curious.
What did you mean by "on my heels? You aren't new here, so I am guessing you mean you ride the same places yes?
Larry

F

fighting_40

NJ_Jess,
It is me, don't let the tight bod and the beautiful face fool ya. :) ..and you are right, not quite 40 yet but fighting it tooth and nail.

I am shooting the interviews for the Untamed New England with some teams at the NYARA race location tonight in the rain. Not quite the money shots. Actually I should figure out a way to shoot my own stupidity as most of my friends would tell you.
How many times have my friends look down at the ground/snow/sinking kayak, at me and joked; "now that's what you should be filming"!

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
Fighting_40,

The only thing remarkable about turning 40 is being blown away by how damn fast it got here. I mean, I was 25 just last week damnit! I hit 43 last week and time is still accelerating :(

Okay, there is the "exercise is a mandatory" thing now. As I slid through my late 30's into 40, my natural muscle tone, etc., wasn't enough to keep me going through everyday life. And I went from a 32" to 36" pant w/o gaining a pound. And my beard has a lot of gray in it now. My body pops and creaks when I get up in the morning. I make a groan/grunt noise when I stand up. 'Am paying attention to the amount of fiber I eat. People in their early 30's look like babies to me now. Gah! Okay, it sucks.

But, I'm in the best shape I've been in since I was 30. Yea bikes!:getsome:

Welcome too the loony bin, Larry. 'Pretty sure you'll enjoy your stay....

Tim

RNG1

fighting 40,
I am in a similar boat. I did most of my racing on a rigid (that means no shocks front or back) for you spring chickens, and am new to the site and racing scene for the first time in about 12 years. You know, family, kids, business, blah blah. I know, it was never an excuse to get off the bike. I am 43 now, which is just crazy for me to understand, however about a year and a half ago I decided that I would go through my (early) mid life crises by not doing what most guys I know did (leave their wives for baby sitters, blow all their money on a sports car so they can chase baby sitters, you get the idea). So I decided to use my new super early morning rising (part of old age now I guess) to get back on my bike. I also had someone who does ultra marathons explain to me that if I did this right I could potentially be in better shape than I was when I was racing. Jury is still out on that one. I can say that what I have learned about the process is that old saying that has been said to death (wow that has a double meaning) that staying young is being young at heart. I feel like a kid again when I get back on the bike and that pretty much says it all. Now if my heart can just talk to my bones that took a beating at the race 2 weeks ago...
Rob

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
Pushing 50, but don't know much about getting old.:)

..... welcome and have fun, it only gets better.

Kmoodymz3

Pushing 50, but don't know much about getting old.:)

..... welcome and have fun, it only gets better.

You said it Pixychick. I didn't even start MTB until 39. Kind of a mid-life crisis thing to prove I am NOT getting old. Now in best shape of my life and loving it.

Top Bottom