What's good?

xc62701

Hey guys and gals. Goin to get in the woods tomorrow. I wanted to know what parks will be rideable. I'm thinking the best would probably be Hartshorne but just curious what everything looks like. Let me know...

xc62701

Well I decided to head up to Wawayanda figuring that it might be one of the more solid parks but I didn't realize that it had that much snow. It was crunchy in spots and a sheet of ice in other spots. The fire roads were down right glacial. Most of the ice had a nice texture on it so it was still rideable but the stuff that was either in the shadows or was melting faster could serve as a nice slip and slide. I got practice sliding on my side in a few spots. Still went in and did all the good stuff - Rattlesnake, Pickle, Pines and it really wasn't too bad. Just slushy and a little annoying in spots. Got 2:15 in anyway. I was hoping we'd run into the group that was out this morning and didn't see anyone. Did anyone show?

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
R,
Weak showing sunday morning. only 3 showed up at 10. I punched out around 11 got tired of waiting and had stuff to do around the house.
Give me a shout next time you go to wayway I would like to ride it with someone who knows it pretty well. The only trails I know are the race course from last year.
B

xc62701

You live in town and don't know Waway? :getsome: No problem man I know that place well. That stinks that more didn't turn out. I figured I'd see somebody in the trails or at least in the parking lot leaving but nothing. I figured you all bagged the ride. It was ok in the trails, studs would have been a great benefit but they were on the other bike... I'll keep ya posted for the next time I get up there.

Allamuchy Joe

Not White House Approved
JORBA.ORG
You live in town and don't know Waway? :getsome: No problem man I know that place well. That stinks that more didn't turn out. I figured I'd see somebody in the trails or at least in the parking lot leaving but nothing. I figured you all bagged the ride. It was ok in the trails, studs would have been a great benefit but they were on the other bike... I'll keep ya posted for the next time I get up there.

I think most people assumed the trails would be half-thawed out and not frozen and they didn't want to cause damage.

I hiked a little in Allamuchy -- it was pretty frozen in there and actually, very slippery. The rocks and logs had a coating of ice and them, which made them scary.

I rode the cyclocross yesterday on the road and a little in Allamuchy (the old Route 517 in Tranquility). Just from the slip & slide feeling on that "trail", I knew I didn't want to be riding inside the park.

xc62701

That's the best part though...they weren't thawed out and were pretty rideable. All the stuff we were riding over was either glacial ice or slushy snow. We never touched any mud or even sunk like we would damage anything. That's why we kept going. I'm one of the first people that will stay off the trail if there's any sign of damaging them.

pinkshirtphotos

i think i saw you pulling in as i was pulling out, did you have a red hardtail on your roof rack? i didnt even hit the woods because the only guy who stayed for a few shots had a dirt jump bike, and monkeyboy forgot his balls at home (just kidding) i rode down to the dam nearly busting my ass, the dam itself was glass ice and i fell hard. went to the car got some body armer and other gnar gnar stuff so i would be the safe on the dangericeyness. once the jungle drains the photoshoot will happen.

xc62701

Yea that was me. I did the same. I rode down across the damn - skating to the other side and then went off into the trails till I figured out what was tacky and what was not and then just had a blast. I was longing for my studs a couple of times but overall not to shabby.

monkey boy

Self-Imposed Exile
PSP,
Really, do you want to go there?

R,
I just moved up here not to long ago. Cut me a break.
Why is your bike still in the shop? Pete is letting people touch it and babies with dirty diapers sit on it.:D

T

tlnj

Well I decided to head up to Wawayanda figuring that it might be one of the more solid parks but I didn't realize that it had that much snow. It was crunchy in spots and a sheet of ice in other spots. The fire roads were down right glacial. Most of the ice had a nice texture on it so it was still rideable but the stuff that was either in the shadows or was melting faster could serve as a nice slip and slide. I got practice sliding on my side in a few spots. Still went in and did all the good stuff - Rattlesnake, Pickle, Pines and it really wasn't too bad. Just slushy and a little annoying in spots. Got 2:15 in anyway. I was hoping we'd run into the group that was out this morning and didn't see anyone. Did anyone show?

I did Wayway early (7am) Saturday and learned a thing or two about riding on ice from Dave (Panhead). A humbling experience not only cause I fell a bunch (a fall by the dam was especially brutal), but because Dave blew me away, hammering through seemingly impossibly icy trails and up hills with aplumb--on a single speed no less! Well, it was a 29er.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
I did Wayway early (7am) Saturday and learned a thing or two about riding on ice from Dave (Panhead). A humbling experience not only cause I fell a bunch (a fall by the dam was especially brutal), but because Dave blew me away, hammering through seemingly impossibly icy trails and up hills with aplumb--on a single speed no less! Well, it was a 29er.

My friends are riding together without me? I feel left out.
And yeah Dave hammers hills oh boy. And that's his backyard.

Panhead

Come on, Tim. It wasn't that bad. Went back late Sun for another 16 mi. Snow was getting soft though the trails were still firm.
Hey Ryan H.- Al and Lydia W. said HI.

Top Bottom