What Workouts are you doing on the trainer?

Wobbegong

With all this ice around lately, I've been hitting up the trainer for workouts.

I've been using it for intervals. I'll do a 15 minute warmup, 4 or 5 sets of intervals, then a cool down.

What are you guys/gals doing on the trainer on days in between hard intervals? Doing high intensity intervals day after day seems to be a bit much, I'm sure it would be counter productive. Any ideas for workouts on the trainer in between interval sessions?

Riding steady state straight through on the trainer seems mindlessly boring. I'd love some ideas for something for recovery that can be done in 50 minutes. Anything longer on the trainer is torture, I get stir crazy at the 45 minute mark.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
*One consideration is varying what you mean by "interval". You can play with resistance, cadence, work period, and recovery period.

*My general view of the progression goes as follows-
-begin with high cadence, low resistance
-add in lower cadence, higher reistance once you've got a base
-high cadence, high resistance is the most intense type of work period, and should be added in small doses

*Recovery should be matched to the goal of the workout. If you are trying to train your strength, fuller recovery will allow you to dig deeper into your legs. If you are trying to train your aerobic system to deal with high intensity, less recovery will force your "engine" to adapt to the demands your legs are putting on it. The two workouts I have posted on here show more specific examples of how this can be varied.

*Rollers are really the ticket for low-resistance, high cadence workouts, as well as steady-state recovery type stuff.

I'll be starting trainer intervals next week, so I'll probably post some more stuff soon.

clarkenstein

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
i've actually been doing ski exercises (as i have no trainer or rollers to speak of) - they are along the lines of plyometric-type exercises. (plyometrics are basically performing one movement pattern that puts a muscle in a state of stretch, followed immediately by an explosive move that contracts or shortens the same muscle).

most of the exercises i do actually come from workouts from the skier stein erickson (my ski idol). they are pretty old exercises, but they work, and i find that they really give a serious workout for the legs.

for example - here's two leg exercises:

1. Stand on a bench or box, jump down off the box and then immediately back up. This should be done in sets of 10-30 seconds trying to do as many as possible in this time. Experts can perform the same exercise on one leg only.

2. Lateral Hops: To improve agility start by standing in a squat position sideways to a stack of books or pillows on the floor. Step side-to-side over the stack, maintaining the squat position. As strength and ability improves, jump from side-to-side. Try to minimize ground contact time and control your landing. For experts, attempt this exercise with a single leg hop.

the jumping really strengthens your legs, and gets the blood moving.

i've also been doing core workouts - which are generally geared toward surfing - but i have found core and arm workouts greatly improve my riding fun factor. i use a large exercise ball for sit ups, back strength exercises, and balance exercises. for some balance exercises, kneel on top of the exercise ball, with some light weights in your hand, do curls, or military presses, or just swing your arms around and stay on top of the ball. being perched on top of a ball adds a whole new dynamic to doing arm exercises, and if you sit up a little, you'll work your quads pretty good too.

none of these really get my cardio moving, but it helps me fight the good fight through the winter.

Ian F

Right now, I'm trying to get any sort of fitness back into my legs after too long off the bike... so my trainer sessions have mainly just been getting on and pedaling... if I feel like I'm spinning too fast, I shift up a few cogs... if I'm bogging, down a few... basically treating it as if I were on a "base-mile" road ride and not worrying about my heart rate or anything specific. Just getting saddle-time, which I desparately need. When I start feeling better and riding more consistantly, I'll focus the effort more. I've thought about maybe picking a few Spinervals videos. I'd love to pick up one of those Compu-trainer set-ups, but that's not in the budget this year.

If there's one thing I've learned about my body and training, it's not so much about what I do, but just that I keep doing it... :rolleyes:

Likewise, my weight training sessions have been similar. Nothing crazy (all with dumb bells), but I just have to do it consistantly. I do like the balance ball idea... I've heard about using one... should pick one up.

Last edited:

bonefishjake

Strong like bull, smart like tractor
Team MTBNJ Halter's
walt sent me the CTS dvds which i'm going to start with those today.

normally i'll warm up for about 10 minutes then hammer one song, rest one song, repeat for 30 minutes. just becareful you don't have ironman in your playlist..

familyman

I crank the tunes warm up for 15 mins then do some 10 sec sprints 20,30,20,try to mix it up a little,then I give my kids permission to throw objects at me around the 45min mark for the full effect.

Ian F

I picked up the Spinervals Aero Base-Builder 5 compilation and did my first session last night. I really need a heart rate monitor... I was trying to guess about my effort and not go anerobic and thought I was doing ok but still managed to go too hard... or I'm just that out of shape... about an hour into it, I felt like I was going to puke... :eek: But it was a good learning experience and I should be better prepared for the next session (had a few technical snafus as well).

We'll see how I do on take-2 tomorrow. I'll still have to guess about my effort as unfortunately a HRM won't be in the budget for awhile... :(

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
I think its too early in the season for any form of high intensity interval training. Might be a good idea to build aerobic endurance such as 1 hr on the trainer 10 minute warm up, 40 minutes in zone 2 with a 10 minute cool down a few days per week. It depends on what your limiters are. Just a thought

RC

Ian F

I think its too early in the season for any form of high intensity interval training. Might be a good idea to build aerobic endurance such as 1 hr on the trainer 10 minute warm up, 40 minutes in zone 2 with a 10 minute cool down a few days per week. It depends on what your limiters are. Just a thought

RC

That's what the this DVD is supposed to do... hence the "Aero[bic] Base-Builder" title... never supposed to exceed 75% "effort" nor go near your lactic acid threshold... I thought I was doing ok... After warming up, the legs felt ok (no burn)... but the lungs & cardio, on the other hand, cried "Uncle!" ...and reminded me I still have a ways to go before aproaching my fitness level of 5-6 years ago...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
That's what the this DVD is supposed to do... hence the "Aero[bic] Base-Builder" title...

That DVD is EXACTLY what you need to be doing this time of year!!

Also, I'll just add, a lot of your base fitness comes not only from riding in the correct zones, but also doing the right amount of time. A lot of your aerobic and muscle adaptation comes during a 2-3 hour session with longer blocks of zones 3-4 thrown in. Something like a 2x20 minute interval set. Zone 4 feels like you're working, but it's still aerobic. A good indicator is to keep your HR around 145-150 BPM.

-Jim.

Ian F

The DVD is a little over 2 hours long... and my plan was to go the full distance... unfortunately, my body had other ideas... :eek:

Sircrashalot

I have been watching the Troy Jackson On The Road Lake Placid ride. its 2 hours 56 minutes or something for one lap of the Iron Man course there. I have been doing 30-40 minute segments because I go insane on the trainer by that point.
Have also been alternating with 30 or so minutes on an elliptical machine to the new Metallica CD....much more fun!

dhsean

DH training yo!

I did my own DH method interval training on the trainer watching DH videos tonight. Screw base training I race DH, I only need to last 3-4 minutes. :getsome:

Warmup
5 minute 150-160
5 minute recovery
5 minute 150-160
5 minute recovery
2 minute 140-145
2 minute steady gear higher 140-145
5 minute recovery
1 minute (more like 45 sec) FULL on start gate sprint :getsome:
1 minute recovery (did this 3 times)
5 minute recovery
2 minute 140-145
2 minute steady gear higher 140-145
Cool down

I think it was too much. :drooling:

Ian F

I did my own DH method interval training on the trainer watching DH videos tonight. Screw base training I race DH, I only need to last 3-4 minutes. :getsome:

Oddly enough, my best DH racing season was in 2001 when I was riding a lot of road and doing the weekly "XC crit" in Philly... :confused:

Top Bottom