What wine are you drinking now?

JonF

Interesting. I am a fan of Nebbiolo in all forms (and most wines from Piemonte). Haven’t tried a California version yet though.
There's a small but growing cadre of wine makers out west doing decent nebbiolos and other cal/ital varietals. Castelli, Harrington and Idlewild are some of the few doing great nebbiolo in Sonoma. There's also a vineyard in Paso Robles that a number of people have sourced from but can't say for like that vineyard fruit. There's always this strong streak of salinity and gameyness this from that region. Not sure if it's hotter there but even their cabs exhibit that darker concentration. When gap aka pax Mahle produced one from there for a while.

Speaking of which, my wife yanked a bottle of the pessimist from Daou vineyards tonight. Another inky, paso blend that's not really my cup of tea. That and too much syrah. I'm just a little too young to have caught the syrah bug and see no appeal in SQN. lol

JonF

I think my favorite "everyday" nebbiolos are Vajra, Vietti perbacco and the Produttori Barbaresco blend (it's fairly cheap). Nino negri quadrio is in there too but tough to find.

Roadie

I think my favorite "everyday" nebbiolos are Vajra, Vietti perbacco and the Produttori Barbaresco blend (it's fairly cheap). Nino negri quadrio is in there too but tough to find.

Just had the 16 Perbacco last night. Great wine for the money. Visited them in November too so have been on a Vietti kick lately. Where did you find the vajra neb?

I have a decent collection of the produttori normale. Prices have been climbing for the blend the past few years though. Used to be $25-ish now pushing $40 so not buying as much.

JonF

Just had the 16 Perbacco last night. Great wine for the money. Visited them in November too so have been on a Vietti kick lately. Where did you find the vajra neb?

I have a decent collection of the produttori normale. Prices have been climbing for the blend the past few years though. Used to be $25-ish now pushing $40 so not buying as much.

I find the Vajra randomly here and there. I recall getting some in the circus liquors in red Bank, and another time in wineworks in Marlton. The entry barolo is fantastic, usually around $35 and the Langhe friesa is like a brighter cousin of the nebbiolo. They also make a blend but it's kinda meh. Usually thin and boring like a shitty boujoulais.

Man, the normale sure has been creeping. I grabbed a couple of the 15's and felt like I got bent over for $37 apiece. Ouch! Sure was good though. Just for fun, I've been collecting a vertical of the normale and have it all the way back to 07. Some day I'd like to have a tasting party with some folks who'd appreciate it.

JonF

Popped this beauty tonight. We first discovered this winery on our honeymoon in Napa/Sonoma. Ordered a bottle of the estate Pinot on list at a bistro and was smitten. Then found out Thomas Rivers brown also buys thier fruit for a few more expensive labels but these can be had for far less. Still somewhat of a splurge but not too boucoup.

Roadie

I find the Vajra randomly here and there. I recall getting some in the circus liquors in red Bank, and another time in wineworks in Marlton. The entry barolo is fantastic, usually around $35 and the Langhe friesa is like a brighter cousin of the nebbiolo. They also make a blend but it's kinda meh. Usually thin and boring like a shitty boujoulais.

Man, the normale sure has been creeping. I grabbed a couple of the 15's and felt like I got bent over for $37 apiece. Ouch! Sure was good though. Just for fun, I've been collecting a vertical of the normale and have it all the way back to 07. Some day I'd like to have a tasting party with some folks who'd appreciate it.
Yes, the normale is slowly pricing itself out for me. It is just about at the point where it is no longer a good value. The oldest produttori I have are the 04 Rio Sordo Riserva and the 06 normale.

Roadie

7516F79B-7794-47D0-B8B5-D81F9367024A.jpeg
2008 Produttori 50th vintage anniversary barbaresco riserva. Special blend of the 9 single vineyard riservas. Drinking great right now. Smooth and balanced. Rose petals, cherry and some earth, tannins are firm but not harsh. Had it with braised lamb shanks and risotto. Great pairing. Merry Christmas!

JonF

View attachment 114436
2008 Produttori 50th vintage anniversary barbaresco riserva. Special blend of the 9 single vineyard riservas. Drinking great right now. Smooth and balanced. Rose petals, cherry and some earth, tannins are firm but not harsh. Had it with braised lamb shanks and risotto. Great pairing. Merry Christmas!
Nice! I've never had one of those, i wonder how different it actually is from the normale (which is also a blend of the various sites)? Each Riserva is a blend of vineyards from the AVA, so this is then a blend of select Riserva barrels, is that how it works?

JonF

Xmas dindin, some grilled seafood and lobster ravioli with a quick lemon-tomato sauce. Wanted to pop some Nebb or Sangio but old world would have a wall of tannins butting heads with the fish. Opted for the old favorite around here, Castelli estate Sangiovese from Russian River Valley.

Roadie

Nice! I've never had one of those, i wonder how different it actually is from the normale (which is also a blend of the various sites)? Each Riserva is a blend of vineyards from the AVA, so this is then a blend of select Riserva barrels, is that how it works?
Yes, this one is different from the normale in that it was blended from the riservas only. It is a special bottling and my understanding is that it is not distributed (winery only). I have one bottle left and plan to taste it side by side with the 2008 normale. Should be interesting

rmap01

Nice pull! But that label, man it reeks of the 90's. lol
Too funny. Convo went like this:
Wife: "That's such a cool label!" Me: "Huh? Really?" [Then again that's probably my reaction to a lot of things... lol]

WJF

Folly of the Beast.....light Pinot Noir for those that do not like complicated reds (wife)

F5BBF57F-0352-49CB-B001-A72AF89ED2A8.jpeg

Top Bottom