1. Less Pain and Inflammation. Omega 3 fatty acids, particularly EPA, have a very positive effect on your inflammatory response. Through several mechanisms, they regulate your body's inflammation cycle, which prevents and relieves painful conditions like arthritis, prostatitis, cystitis and anything else ending in "itis."
2. Cardiovascular Health. Omega 3 fatty acids have also been proven to work wonders for your heart and the miles and miles of arteries and veins that make up your cardiovascular system. They help to lower cholesterol, tryglicerides, LDLs and blood pressure, while at the same time increasing good HDL cholesterol. This adds years to your life expectancy.
3. Protection from Stroke and Heart Attack. When plaque builds up on arterial walls and then breaks loose, it causes what's known as a thrombosis, which is a fancy way of saying clot. If a clot gets stuck in the brain, it causes a stroke and when it plugs an artery, it causes a heart attack. Research shows omega 3 fatty acids break up clots before they can cause any damage.
4. Better Brain Function and Higher Intelligence. Pregnant and nursing mothers can have a great impact on the intelligence and happiness of their babies by supplementing with fish oil. For adults, omega 3 improves memory, recall, reasoning and focus. You'll swear you're getting younger and smarter.
5. Less Depression and Psychosis. Making you smarter is not all omega 3 does for your brain. Psychiatry department researchers at the University of Sheffield, along with many other research studies, found that omega 3 fish oil supplements "alleviate" the symptoms of depression, bipolar and psychosis (Journal of Affective Disorder Vol. 48(2-3);149-55).
6. Lower Incidence of Childhood Disorders. Just to show how fish oil fatty acids leave nobody out, studies show that children (and adults) with ADD and ADHD experience a greatly improved quality of life. And those with dyslexia, dyspraxia and compulsive disorders have gotten a new lease on life thanks to omega 3 oils.
7. Reduction of Breast, Colon and Prostate Cancer. And finally, omega 3 fish oil has been shown to help prevent three of the most common forms of cancer – breast, colon and prostate. Science tells us that omega 3s accomplish this in three ways. They stop the alteration from a normal healthy cell to a cancerous mass, inhibiting unwanted cellular growth and causing apoptosis, or cellular death, of cancer cells.
If and when I take it, I'll usually do it right before bed. Otherwise it can repeat on me and fish oil is bad enough the first time.
I take a bunch of vitamins depending on my needs and the kind and amount of abuse I've put myself through or will put myself through in a day.
Typically I choose from:
A multi, B complex + extra B-6 depending on dietary or physical abuse.
Glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM and glutamine to build and repair muscle and joints.
Chromium picolinate, L-carnitine to boost a dead metabolism.
Calcium, acidolpholis, cranberry, zicam and 70% Cacao or extra dark chocolate sporadically, as needed.
There are probably others (CoQ-10). I'm sure you won't believe me but I'm really not a vitamin fanatic. Frankly, foods are just as potent and effective for specific remedies as many supplements or medications... like celery-diuretic, oats or cinnamon-cholesterol, garlic for almost everything else. I could go on all night.
But I also like to sneak 'health foods' into places people won't really notice... like flax, wheat germ, molasses and whole wheat into choc chip cookies. I don't get too many complaints about that.
I'm a veggie so my diet is fairly healthy. Unfortunately, Doritos are vegetarian, hence the fairly
I take a veggie multi-vitamin and a vitamin-C supplement just to boost my immune system a little. I have 2 little boys and my wife is a school teacher so I'm bound to get sick no matter what I do!! As for riding supplements I use Dedicated Athlete Rapid Recovery, Dedicated Athlete Rapidade on the bike, and Met-RX Big100 bars after rides over 3 hours. And like Walter, Monster energy drinks are on the menu, which have 2,000MG of Taurine per can!! Woop-woop!!
Centrum Mens one a day mens Health formula ( in morning)
Carlson Super Omega 3 fish oil
NSi Ginko Biloba 120mg ( 1 in the morning)
FRS Program ( started last week) ( part morning) ( noon and evening after walk/run on treadmill)
trying to loose the 40lbs i put back on, stinks asthma kicks in, shortness of breath. started to walk a month ago lost 3 lbs so far.