What tree should I plant

qclabrat

plant two Cleveland pears. they span about 20ft and 30-40ft tall
One of my favorites for low maintenance trees, easily found at Lowes or HD
1554428859599.png

chuprinko

Mimosa trees have nice bright pink fuzzy type flowers that bloom in late summer and are great source for bees and humming birds. Provide decent shade. Grows pretty fast.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
plant two Cleveland pears. they span about 20ft and 30-40ft tall
One of my favorites for low maintenance trees, easily found at Lowes or HD
View attachment 92209
Cheap landscaper trees with no beneficial traits that supply a small shade spot. Does not produce fruit and does not attract species.

The obvious for a fast shade tree is a maple. About 2ft per year.

If you were not a friend I would tell you to plant a Chinese chestnut as a mater of fact I would tell you to plant 10.

A native tree like a service berry would cover everything you ask except a bit light on shade, more of a sun screen. Extremely beneficial to our native species.

Mimosas can be a touch tricky as they are on the cusp of grow zone. If properly placed with protection from north winter wind they can survive.

I would stay away from box store trees and search beneficial native trees.

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Japanese Stewartia is a nice tree, no fruit but flowering, and good for the bees. But...it’s expensive and slow growing.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's

If time travel is invented my first order of business is punching whoever planted all the sweet gum in my yard in the throat.

I think that was a dick post by rick. You couldnt have recommended 2 worst trees. One is a complete disaster and the other grows about half inch a year.

rick81721

Lothar

If time travel is invented my first order of business is punching whoever planted all the sweet gum in my yard in the throat.

The guy that owned our previous house in hillsboro planted over 50 cottonwoods. What a mess those things were - and to make things worse while we owned the house they started dying out. I turned into a part-time lumberjack

one piece crank

It all depends on how long you plan to live there, and how tall of a tree you plan to purchase? I've multiples of 8 different trees around my property but my favorite is hands-down the Tulip Tree (Tulip Poplar or Liriodendron) - very short flowering window but amazingly beautiful. I wish I planted more. It's a biggun though, 70-100ft but will take time to get there.

Captain Brainstorm

I think that was a dick post by rick. You couldnt have recommended 2 worst trees. One is a complete disaster and the other grows about half inch a year.

If he really wanted to be a dick he would have recommended a Paulownia tree or Bamboo. I second the motion of staying native, go maple, or if you don't mind the acorns go white oak. Yes, oaks are a pain in the ass but they're pretty hardy, and will attract the squirrels, birds, and deer (negative), but will also attract the hawks, and are great shade trees. I'm still going Autumn Glory maple because I have enough oaks and want the color. Another option is Japanese maple, good spread, but they don't grow that high. Dogwood is another option, nice flowers in the spring, but they won't grow to towering heights. Hickory is also good, I have one of those, but you don't want that near a driveway. They drop nuts, not as badly as you think, but enough to F'up your car.

Reactions: Tim

Tim

aka sptimmy43
I think a white oak is pretty good suggestion. Alternatively, pin oaks are nice. If you go with a maple I would stick to a red maple. The Norway maples grow like weeds, mature, and die quickly. Tulip poplars are nice trees and they actually grow fairly quickly as well. For sure stay away from a sweetgum. That was definitely a dick recommendation.

rick81721

Lothar
If he really wanted to be a dick he would have recommended a Paulownia tree or Bamboo. I second the motion of staying native, go maple, or if you don't mind the acorns go white oak. Yes, oaks are a pain in the ass but they're pretty hardy, and will attract the squirrels, birds, and deer (negative), but will also attract the hawks, and are great shade trees. I'm still going Autumn Glory maple because I have enough oaks and want the color. Another option is Japanese maple, good spread, but they don't grow that high. Dogwood is another option, nice flowers in the spring, but they won't grow to towering heights. Hickory is also good, I have one of those, but you don't want that near a driveway. They drop nuts, not as badly as you think, but enough to F'up your car.

I would've added bamboo but it was already mentioned. Actually I like bamboo - I planted a 30+ft Chinese variety in our previously mentioned hillsboro house to replace all the cottonwoods that came down. Think the new owners managed to get it out tho, we checked the back a year ago and didn't see any signs of a bamboo forest

StayHydrated

Swedish Chef
The obvious for a fast shade tree is a maple. About 2ft per year.
I came here to say maple because I really like them, but...

A native tree like a service berry would cover everything you ask except a bit light on shade, more of a sun screen. Extremely beneficial to our native species.
All of this. My parents have a service berry tree in their front yard on SI. One year the berry yield was amazing - I picked about a gallon or so of them, froze them, and used them in a beer I brewed that fall. Theirs is about 20ft tall or so. They had no idea what it was, just that the landscaper had picked it and said it was native. I researched it and I think it's my favorite tree now. Is it weird to have a favorite tree?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Is it weird to have a favorite tree?
#teambirch #toobadtheyrealldying
02923e93ea15c963e08541a575baa796.jpg

qclabrat

It all depends on how long you plan to live there, and how tall of a tree you plan to purchase? I've multiples of 8 different trees around my property but my favorite is hands-down the Tulip Tree (Tulip Poplar or Liriodendron) - very short flowering window but amazingly beautiful. I wish I planted more. It's a biggun though, 70-100ft but will take time to get there.
Poplars are pretty, though my backyard is over grown with them. @Miracle Max Loves Garbage if you want a few I've got at least a hundred in my yard
One thing I don't like about them is that is a soft wood and susceptible to limbs braking. In a forest they hang well with the oaks and maple but solo maybe not.

Reactions: Tim
Top Bottom