What tool is overlooked far to often that every biker should own?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
quick link tool
1352072fb1532f90d552bdafd94318e5.jpg

mobile quick link tool

Wolf-Tooth-Master-Link-Pliers-Combo-Tool_17.jpg

serviceguy

This does make things easier but what I basically do is get the chain to the 2nd cog and drop the shifter to the 1st gear without moving the chain.
So the chain stays in the 2nd cog while the shifter is at 1st. Then I pull the cable by hand or plier and tighten the bolt. Drop the chain back down to 1st and there is no slack. Only requires slight adjustments via barrel adjuster.
Nah, I prefer the idea of having 4 hands...besides, every time I touch a shifter cable with pliers it ends up fryed. I also still have v-brakes on the 'older' bike and remote lockout and dropper post on the 'modern' one thus so many chances to mess up.

qclabrat

I good bench vise, I have a tiny one which is useless
Been looking around CL without much luck, too many weirdos out there

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
I good bench vise, I have a tiny one which is useless
Been looking around CL without much luck, too many weirdos out there

There is a guy on CL in my neighborhood who sells vintage tools, he had some large vise he was selling last time I got tools from him. Is there something your looking for?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Shop one is already in the toolbox, I need this now!
After exploding my rear dr on thanksgiving in sub 20deg temps and fighting with the quick link to get the chain off, I started looking in what tools were out there....I was going to make my own if I didnt find this one.

qclabrat

There is a guy on CL in my neighborhood who sells vintage tools, he had some large vise he was selling last time I got tools from him. Is there something your looking for?
just a bench vise big enough where I can clamp down an old freewheel key to remove it by spinning the wheel
Can't seem to get enough leverage otherwise. Actually not a huge priority at the moment, as I'm up to my ears with bike projects

qclabrat

After exploding my rear dr on thanksgiving in sub 20deg temps and fighting with the quick link to get the chain off, I started looking in what tools were out there....I was going to make my own if I didnt find this one.
The portable one looks really well made, Moosetreks makes an interesting combo tool also a tire iron. But the design of the Wolftooth is much cleaner
http://moosetreksbikepacking.com/product-category/bike-tools/
1546622635455.png

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
just a bench vise big enough where I can clamp down an old freewheel key to remove it by spinning the wheel
Can't seem to get enough leverage otherwise. Actually not a huge priority at the moment, as I'm up to my ears with bike projects

I haven't run into that problem I unusually hold the freewheel with my hand and have the key in my other hand and a quick flick of the wrist I'm set. Eat you wheaties...

JK, chain wip and breaker bar do the trick for me, I usually just wedge it between the ground and my shin and pull toward me, hasn't failed me yet.

qclabrat

I haven't run into that problem I unusually hold the freewheel with my hand and have the key in my other hand and a quick flick of the wrist I'm set. Eat you wheaties...

JK, chain wip and breaker bar do the trick for me, I usually just wedge it between the ground and my shin and pull toward me, hasn't failed me yet.
threaded freewheel not cassette hub. I forgot you're a millennial, you may have never seen a threaded hub...

serviceguy

threaded freewheel not cassette hub. I forgot you're a millennial, you may have never seen a threaded hub...
How old is that wheel? I am far from being a millennial and have been working on my bikes since I was 11-12 but I've never seen one of those!

Top Bottom