What tool is overlooked far to often that every biker should own?

qclabrat

i happen to have access to calibration equipment at work, and the ones i bought (i cant say all of them) are right where they belong (actually within 1% iirc). The 3/8 is definitely a higher torque than you need for most bike stuff, but the 1/4 works well (just have to convert NM to inlbs. . . ) I have a $150 craftsman 1/2 drive that i use for most car stuff (it does up to 250 ft-lbs), if i find a good deal on a 1/4 one i may upgrade, but with the known point of mine at this point its not a huge concern(i did have the concern that they would be inaccurate junk, but they seem to be good, as are a couple of my friends who have bought them recently, HF seems to be stepping up their game lately)

i think these are the adapters that i have https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-high-visibility-socket-adapter-set-62851.html

i also like HFs lifetime guarantee on pittsburgh tools, if you break it they replace it (this includes torque wrenches) so the sockets/keys im perfectly ok buying from them.
Maybe a bad one, I'll try another 1/4".

olegbabich

Chain Whip - Worn Out Cassette is Lame.

Shock Pump - proper sag makes for a happy rider

Spoke wrench - True wheel goes round and round

Chain Tool - Carry 1 with you on your ride, beats walking back home

Tire Irons - Love the smell of fresh rubber

Bike Stand - Everybody needs 1

Kaleidopete

I got this torque wrench and it works great.
Capri Tools 31200 20-150 Inch Pound Industrial Torque Wrench, 1/4" Drive
torque.JPG

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B011ARI5M6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
On a bike not a while lot. My suspect suspension adjustment chips are installed from the inside so they tighten counterclockwise (left handed?) From the outside.....

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
i happen to have access to calibration equipment at work, and the ones i bought (i cant say all of them) are right where they belong (actually within 1% iirc). The 3/8 is definitely a higher torque than you need for most bike stuff, but the 1/4 works well (just have to convert NM to inlbs. . . ) I have a $150 craftsman 1/2 drive that i use for most car stuff (it does up to 250 ft-lbs), if i find a good deal on a 1/4 one i may upgrade, but with the known point of mine at this point its not a huge concern(i did have the concern that they would be inaccurate junk, but they seem to be good, as are a couple of my friends who have bought them recently, HF seems to be stepping up their game lately)

i think these are the adapters that i have https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pc-high-visibility-socket-adapter-set-62851.html

i also like HFs lifetime guarantee on pittsburgh tools, if you break it they replace it (this includes torque wrenches) so the sockets/keys im perfectly ok buying from them.
+1

I checked the ones that I bought ($11 each size!?) against calibrated ones and they were within 1 inch-pound.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
+1

I checked the ones that I bought ($11 each size!?) against calibrated ones and they were within 1 inch-pound.

What is your procedure for checking them? Since you normally tighten to sliding torque once you stop moving it the torque to get it spinning again is more than what you initially applied.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Maybe a bad one, I'll try another 1/4".
I have 3 from HF
2 are fine but the 1/4" has a very weak click. Cracked 2 carbon bars... good thing they were the cheap ones from Aliexpress.
Hmmm... now that I think about it.... was it HF torque wrench or the aliexpress carbon bars?

w_b

Campy facing tool. You never realize how crooked your shit is until you face it. Of course, they stopped making bikes that need it 20 years ago. Carry on.

Speaking of facing, I had a hardtail many years ago. It always had a chunky headset. No matter what. Even Chris King couldn’t help. Faced that head tube musta been like 0.025” off parallel. Not enough O’s in smooooth forevermore....

Top Bottom