What to drink during the race?

F

FallGirl1430

At the first race this year at Waywayanda I didn't do well as I expected. I've been testing different powder mixes/gels. This time in the water bottle during the sport race I used Heed by Hammer Nutrition and tried a new water bottle that has a seperate container that holds the Hammer Gel and the more larger part of the bottle for the powder mix. I started to feel as though I was go to vomit, and basically hit the wall. One of the other women riders said she felt the same way, we both used the gel, I didn't drink enough water as the directions said in the use of the gel. I also had coffee in the am about 2 hours before the race (I really never drink coffee) I thought since having the flu the caffine would give me alittle boost. What do you guys drink during the races?

Thanks,
Christina ... :)

Kmoodymz3

Sounds like you took in too much nutrition with not enough water. There are technical terms for this like osmolality and such but basically if the concentration is too high the sugars will not digest rapidly.

I've use Heed and like it but found it a little sweet tasting. I now use InfinIT Nutrition custom blends. You can use their pre-set formulas or create your own by selecting the carbs, protein, electrolytes, flavor level, etc. It is the in the same price as Hammer products too. I've been using InfinIT for 3+ years now and love it. I have developed my own formulations for different length races/training and even have one with a bit of caffeine for the 8+ hour rides/races.

I've done several 100 milers and a 24 hr solo using nothing but my InfinIT Nutrition and have not had any problems, but I have spent a lot of time trying the stuff and training with it, tweaking the formulation and amount I use/hour. The most important thing about nutrition is to test it and never try anything new in a race.

Just to note, and not to sound like a InfinIT Nutrition commercial ;) Nutrition like most things can be personal some people do really well on snickers bars, gatorade and gummy bears. Check out the Nutrition Forum on Training Peaks and both Hammer and InfinIT nutrition have good information on their web sites.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
This will take a little experimenting on your part, try some of the different drinks out there during your training rides and see how you do...For example, I used to use Accelerade but stopped because it upset my stomach being it is dairy based. I switched first to Powerbar Endurance, which worked well, to Heed, which tastes like baby vomit to me, and then to Cytomax, which is where I'm at now...I like most of the Cytosport products and they seem to work well for me, but it's all personal...And FYI, XC races are a little short for gels or bars to really get into your system, so try to get your bottle mix right and don't bother with anything else...Get your hydration in during the week...I'm of course no expert on this stuff, this is just what works for me...

-Jim.

F

FallGirl1430

This will take a little experimenting on your part, try some of the different drinks out there during your training rides and see how you do...For example, I used to use Accelerade but stopped because it upset my stomach being it is dairy based. I switched first to Powerbar Endurance, which worked well, to Heed, which tastes like baby vomit to me, and then to Cytomax, which is where I'm at now...I like most of the Cytosport products and they seem to work well for me, but it's all personal...And FYI, XC races are a little short for gels or bars to really get into your system, so try to get your bottle mix right and don't bother with anything else...Get your hydration in during the week...I'm of course no expert on this stuff, this is just what works for me...

-Jim.

Awesome Jim, you have helped me so much in postings the last few days, you da man! I had cream in my coffee 2 hrs before the race and I too cannot digest milk. One thing ...Jim's quote "to Heed, which tastes like baby vomit to me" I was wondering ah nevermind, I don't wanna know :drooling:

Christy ... :p

743power

Shop: Bicycle Pro
Shop Keep
sorry, no helpful reply, but I have been using HEED and I like it alot. I also quite like the taste, reminds me of orange creamsicle ice pops.

Yea, no accelerade for me either.

<~~~~~lactose intolerant.

TJYeti

Knows about bikes
I've been using Cytomax for years and love it. I've also used really diluted orange juice and I like how that works for me too. There are so many brands on the market you just have to give a few a trial period to see what works for you.And there's even variables within the same brand flavor to flavor. I have quite an aversion to artificial sweeteners and after running out of my fav. 'cool citrus' cyto I bought apple berry cyto 'cause the citrus was out of stock. I mixed it up and hated it. Turned out after checking the label they use either aspertame or sucralose in that flavor:drooling: and fructose in the one I like. So check the ingredients if you don't like artifical sweeteners.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
I use EmergenC Lite with MSM.
It has a light citrus flavor with no sweeteners and a ton of minerals and such. It really quenches. I put one to two envelopes per 24 oz bottle w/water and go all day.

People might be catching on to it 'cause it's getting hard to find and the other varieties just don't add up. The Emergen-C sport is almost a joke when you compare labels and see what you're getting. Might as well have Gatorade.

Top Bottom