what to do?

doctor855

beings that i recently started mountain biking alot more and less road riding i am looking to get a better bike with full suspension. currently riding a trek 6000 (yuck!). been looking at the santa cruz superlight and the trek fuel 8, but open to anything really. dont really know what i am looking for but i want to buy something that will keep me happy for awhile. looking to stay under 3k also. do most of my riding at blue marsh (not too technical but i need to be able to climb some decent hills), gloucester county college (rooty singletrack), and camden county college (same). due to some nasty wrecks on the downhills hoping that the full squish will give me a little more confidence. any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.

Wobbegong

beings that i recently started mountain biking alot more and less road riding i am looking to get a better bike with full suspension. currently riding a trek 6000 (yuck!). been looking at the santa cruz superlight and the trek fuel 8, but open to anything really. dont really know what i am looking for but i want to buy something that will keep me happy for awhile. looking to stay under 3k also. do most of my riding at blue marsh (not too technical but i need to be able to climb some decent hills), gloucester county college (rooty singletrack), and camden county college (same). due to some nasty wrecks on the downhills hoping that the full squish will give me a little more confidence. any suggestions would be much appreciated. thanks.

Do you have a relationship with a local shop? See what they offer and work from there. Not sure where you live in the dirty south, but I'd suggest Halters in Monmouth Junction for their great service and ability to match people with the best bike.

doctor855

hah hah im so south that monmouth junction is north jersey to me. the two shops that i have relationships with are big specialized dealers and im not too crazy about their bikes. i'd be willing to take a ride to make sure i get it right however.

Sircrashalot

Yeah...somebody can tell you a certain bike is the cats ass but it may not have the 'feel' you are looking for. Best bet is to try a bunch, demo if possible, work with a good LBS to find what feels right to you & fits right.

I 2nd the experience at Halters mentioned in a previous post...might be worth the drive. $3k is a big nut to crack....you want to LOVE the result!

Wobbegong

hah hah im so south that monmouth junction is north jersey to me. the two shops that i have relationships with are big specialized dealers and im not too crazy about their bikes. i'd be willing to take a ride to make sure i get it right however.

Give Jason a call or send him a PM. He posts as Jdog on here. I think it would be worth your while.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's

It sounds like the places you ride don't really need a FS bike. Ultimately you have to decide if you are a hardtail guy or a FS guy. I bought my Hardtail about 2yrs. ago and love it.
As a general observation guys new to mtbing think they need a FS bike to ride like a pro. I've been on group rides with alot of guys on this site and I see the best riders using the simplest bikes; SS/ hard tail /or no suspension/ something they made in there basement from bikes you'd find in a garage sale...
I don't want to come across as a no-it-all, nor do I want to talk you out of getting a FS you think is awesome. My point is a new bike won't make you better rider. Pick a bike you like and ride the shat out of it:D

xc62701

What's FS? The way I think its either rigid or front suspension. There ain't no other choice ;)

rockhop

A dually you can ride all day...
Trance-X2-White_Silver.jpg

jimjo

simple solution

have one of each.... that being said a proper fit on whatever bike you end up with is MUCHO critical to the way you feel on it...
my SS is a franken bike of leftover parts great to ride but not quite right in terms of geometry for the frame and for me as a result its not as snappy as i would like it
on the other hand my nrs was custom built and every piece of it was figured for me as a result it has a much better feel to it
each have their place right now... i just cant wait to get my ss dialed in

doctor855

It sounds like the places you ride don't really need a FS bike. Ultimately you have to decide if you are a hardtail guy or a FS guy. I bought my Hardtail about 2yrs. ago and love it.
As a general observation guys new to mtbing think they need a FS bike to ride like a pro. I've been on group rides with alot of guys on this site and I see the best riders using the simplest bikes; SS/ hard tail /or no suspension/ something they made in there basement from bikes you'd find in a garage sale...
I don't want to come across as a no-it-all, nor do I want to talk you out of getting a FS you think is awesome. My point is a new bike won't make you better rider. Pick a bike you like and ride the shat out of it:D

i know what you are saying and i know a fs bike isnt going to make me any better a rider, but i would like the little bit of extra forgiveness that it gives over a hardtail. a dislocated elbow, shoulder, and broken jaw have made me decide this. :(

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
so he wants a full suspension, let 'em get it!

I would recommend a cannondale rush or a rize if you want alittle more travel. Next would be the Giant Trance X. With any of those bikes, you can't go wrong and you can get a nice set up for under 3 g's.

Shaggz

A strong 7
are you near beachwood bikes?

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I went through this process this past fall. If you're sticking with the major companies you're pretty much talking about Cannondale, Giant, Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, Jamis. All of those companies will have at least 2 bikes along the lines of FS XC/AM. Drive around to the different shops, try them all!

There's also Santa Cruz & Kona & Iron Horse & some other mid-level companies as well, but you don't see them as much in the shops around here.

For $3k, you can probably get a boutique-type bike with lesser components. Something like a Yeti 575 or Ibis Mojo, but I don't know if I would recommend it.

Last edited:

Panhead

What's FS? The way I think its either rigid or front suspension. There ain't no other choice ;)

I'm with Ryan. I started off on a Marin Wolf Ridge 5" travel in front 6" in back, excellent handling bike with enough squish to let you get in trouble and get out. Even raced XC for a season with it. Then I drank the Kool-Aid. Now my main bike is a rigid s/s, followed by my Paragon. I've ridden the Marin twice in the last year.

beachwoodbikes

Shop: Beachwood Bikes
Shop Keep
New Bike

If Beachwood is not too far, it would be worth your drive. We, as in all five main shop guys here, ride FS mountain bikes on the reg (four of us ride and absolutely love the ETSX by Rocky). Our selection of 4" -6" F/S bikes is quite impressive. We can send you out on any of the Specialized, Rocky Mountain or GT fullys of your liking. If you like you can trail demo a bike, or two bikes or whatever. No better way to know than to try.

Shaggz

A strong 7
Put the Giant Anthem on your radar screen. I test rode an Anthem X2 to review on the board, and was skeptical that it would be a racer-boy bike. The bike is fun, nimble, agile and efficient, and if I were to be in the market for a FS, it would definitely be on my short list.

sixseven

I have a Santa Cruz Superlight and love it. It has worked out perfectly for me.
Try one out. Try out many before you commit.

Top Bottom