What Tires Is Everybody Riding??????

Kenda Blue Groove 2.1 front specific in front and Kenda Nevegal 2.1 rear specific in back. Great for everything I've gone thru so far. Grippy on one hand and a pretty low rolling resistance on the other. I find the rubber to be soft but they don't wear quickly. I ride them at 32lbs.

nevegal stick-e's 2.5 fr and a 2.3 in the back. tubes and 30psi. i used to run nevegal DTC 2.3 up front and 2.1 in back, and before that panaracer fire xc 2.1's (or maybe they were 2.2?) all around. i immediately noticed the slower rolling now pushing around the larger and stickier tires. but i also noticed a nice increase in traction. corners really nice coming down the twisty stuff, in the moist or dry dirt, and grips like flypaper climbing in the dry rocks and roots. i can't complain about the traction on wet rocks and roots either. in nj i ride mostly chimney rock, allamuchy and occasionally round valley. in pa i ride jim thorpe, sals and occasionally south mountain lehigh, jacobsburg and jordan creek.

if anyone can point the way, i am looking for a nice grippy low rolling resistance tire for dry races, and some feedback on the kenda king of traction for those mud fests you cant get away from

Most of my bikes have a knobby up front and a smoothie in the back - Kenda Nevagal's w/ Small Block 8's on my SS and sussy rigs. Maxxis HollyRoller/Tioga FS100 on my DJ bike.

I somewhat agree w/ BiknBen as I'll keep the Nevagal's on for any type of trail terrain. The Small Block 8's are such a different tire but grip pretty well.

I can and do notice changes in tires on my DJ bike but that's pretty specific terrain - smooth dirt and plywood - and any change on that bike stands out quickly. Also tire size and compound makes a big difference too.

I shop more for tire size/construction/weight than anything. I like big tires - nothing smaller than a 2.1 and try to keep the weight down and the air pressure up - around 35-40 psi.

The thing is, there is no "do it all" tire.

I can ride my bike with rampages on them road or dirt and any season....they obviously arent ideal for the road or even some parks but it can be done....therefore they can be used as a "do it all" tire imo....some people dont have the benefit to have mutiple different tires

Thanks for all the info. I am kinda leaning towards the Panaracers cause they are on the cheap side and I have spent a lot of money on this build already. My boy gave me a brand new set of Bontrager Race Light wheels that has Jones AC tires already on them, which I had before and completely hated. So that's one of the main reasons why I am trying to get reccomendations for everybody. So thanks for all the info..........You guys are the best

I can ride my bike with rampages on them road or dirt and any season....they obviously arent ideal for the road or even some parks but it can be done....therefore they can be used as a "do it all" tire imo....some people dont have the benefit to have mutiple different tires

i've got over 600 miles of on-road(paved) riding on 26 x 3" downhill tires this year, super knobby, similar tread to the gazzoladi of the same stature. it's also served me very well on trails and on snow. does that make it a do it all tire?

This year I got the Schwalbe Albert up front and the Little Albert in the back. By far the best grip I've had in a tire. I'm really liking them so far :D

i've got over 600 miles of on-road(paved) riding on 26 x 3" downhill tires this year, super knobby, similar tread to the gazzoladi of the same stature. it's also served me very well on trails and on snow. does that make it a do it all tire?

Hell ya

2.1 nev dtc up front, 2.1 sb8 in the back.

Been on this setup for only 30 miles or so, but it's pretty good. The sb8 isnt the ideal tire for technical or rooty climbs, but it rolls fast, is light, and has a predictable breakaway.

I have also ran mythos f&r, nev front/mythos rear, nev front/ hutch bulldog rear, bulldog f/r.

I like a good tire in the front for confident cornering. I had an incident with the bulldog up front and after going with the nevegal I have been through the same turn tons of times without issue.

The mythos are good tires for the price, like $12 or whatever at performance. They are incredibly light, but it comes at a price. The 2.1 is more like a 1.9 and they get thorn flats like it's going out of style, probably due to the thin casing.

I'd like to try some sort of schwalbe combo next if I have the $$$$ around. Maybe raceday only tires. . .

Oh yea, I ride mostly mercer/clayton/allaire/whiteclay/wiss.. Alot of different trail conditions.

my ride

Schawlbe Albert 2.25 UST in the rear and Hutchinson Octopus 2.35 UST in the front. The Albert rear rules the trail under dry conditions - simply amazing. The slightest moisture or mud on the tires, however, neutralizes the Albert's great grip: lots of spinning tire action on even small, round rocks. For some odd reason (maybe the rubber compound, maybe my flawed methodology, etc), the Albert seems to retain moisture longer the Hutchinson front tire, resulting in tire spins when the trail, rocks, and roots are dry.

As for the Hutchinson, great front tire (albeit on the heavy side)

2.35 Ignitors LUST

Im rockin Maxxis 2.35 Ignitors....great traction for Ringwood, Wayway, and Blue Mtn yet still rolls allright for Hartshorne and Allaire. With the new wheelset Im looking to use Schwalbe Nobby Nics or Conti Mountain Kings.

Currently I've got a 2.35 Kenda Kinetic StickE up front and a 2.1 Kenda Nevegal DTC in the back. I ride the Ringwood/ Ramapo areas, as well as Blue Mt and Diablo, all with this setup. Prior to that I ran Maxxis Hansventures front and rear. The Kinetic up front is a great tire, really confidence inspiring in the corners and brakes pretty well. The Nevegal is pretty good in the back, and I like that is does not pack up with mud as much as some other tires, but I liked the Hansventure better for the rear. It had a scoop like center tread design kind of like a velociraptor which climbed like a billy goat in the loose stuff. Too bad they don't make it any more.

I've just put 29er Maxxis Ignitors on my Spider. I used the Stans rim strip but had a looooot of trouble seating the tyres - eventually needing the valve converter and the petrol station pump.

I've had great, great experiences with the 26er version and wanted more traction on the 29er (over pytons) so I'll report back on how things are going in a few rides...

Still on the Maxis Ignitor 29 X 2.1 that came stock on my D660 29r....No idea what I'll replace them with when the time comes. -mJ

Anybody that is riding the Kenda Nevegals have any feedback? I seem to see those tires on so many bikes tested in Mt. Bike Action, and it seems like the test crew like them alot on everything. Any opinions for the NJ massive?

Anybody that is riding the Kenda Nevegals have any feedback? I seem to see those tires on so many bikes tested in Mt. Bike Action, and it seems like the test crew like them alot on everything. Any opinions for the NJ massive?

They are an excellent tire. A bit heavier and a bit slower than other tires, but they grip really well on all of the surfaces I ride (central/shore nj, philly, de).

I put one on the front when I went down on a sharp offcamber turn on a downhill, on some hutch. bulldogs I think I had at the time, and I have yet to loose grip like I did that day.

I think I am going to try the michelin xcr mud/dry when my current kenda combo wears out.

Back
Top Bottom