What Tires Is Everybody Riding??????

Madness

New Member
I have been doing some tire research lately trying to find a great all around tire for our trails. I read a bunch of reviews on other sites about tire preference, but in the grand sceem of things they are not riding in NJ. I have been running the Michelin Wildgripper Hot S tire in the rear and a IRC Mythos XC in the front for years now and I am pretty happy with the setup. But for my new ride I am looking for a perfect tire setup for our trails not everywhere else in the country. Hell 6 mile has multiple different types of surfaces from loose dirt to tacky hard pack to full out mud. I am looking for a great set of tires that can tackle all of that.

So what are You rolling on?????
 

Madness

New Member
I like my current tire setup but as I have found out the new Michelin tire that replaced the Wildgripper is not the same as the one I am riding currently and I am not about to pay 50 plus dollars for a less superior tire. I have heard nothing but good things about the Panaracer tires as well as the Conti's. I have been looking at both of those.
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
where in new jersey also makes a huge difference. mahlon, lewis morris, six mile and allaire are all vastly different.
 

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
Ignitor 2.1 exception compound in the back. Ignitor 2.3 up front. They do well everywhere and unspectacularly everywhere as well. I've also liked running Nevegals which grip well but ride slow. I'd like to try some Nobby Nics and Racing Ralphs but I'd rather not have to take a second mortgage out for bike tires.
 

Madness

New Member
where in new jersey also makes a huge difference. mahlon, lewis morris, six mile and allaire are all vastly different.

I generally ride 6 Mile, Chimney Rock, and Rutgers Eco Perserve. But I have noticed that 6 mile has multiple surfaces from loose dirt to hard pack and mud, like I said before. So I think any tire that is good there will be good anywhere.
 

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
where in new jersey also makes a huge difference. mahlon, lewis morris, six mile and allaire are all vastly different.

Sean,
What is the best you've found for Mahlon? I run XC Fire Pro 2.1 UST and it is manic...sometimes I love 'em and sometimes I hate 'em up there.
Tim
 

BiknBen

Well-Known Member
Don't believe the hype. The marketing departments get paid big bucks to distinguish their tires from everyone else's. 90% of it is BS. There are only a few riders that are able to recognize the other 10%. They get paid to ride and someone else changes their tires.

Pick a tire and go with it. I prefer tires with big volume with lighter weight for xc riding. Same tire for Ringwood and Allaire.
 

Madness

New Member
That's why I am asking people that actually ride the same area that I do. Cause I will get the best reccomndations that way.
 

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
No tire is good for everywhere. Go ask Jay at Halter's what he rides. I think he lives in a tent at 6 Mile.
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Sean,
What is the best you've found for Mahlon? I run XC Fire Pro 2.1 UST and it is manic...sometimes I love 'em and sometimes I hate 'em up there.
Tim

too many differences between 29" and 26" tires for my answer to that to be worth a damn. i did like the traction the ignitors gave me though. my biggest concern riding there is sidewall durability. i rarely have traction problems in that park.
 

Nimrod

New Member
Nimrod Rule # 1 for buying tires = Buy no tire unless its 50% off (usally last years tires), they work just the same as this years models

three tires I'm running these days

Hutchinson Scorpions for mud/wet/rough conditions

Bontranger Revolts, great all all around tires. I have the 2.2's and these are a very under rated (great tire)

Dry and Fast = Michelin XCR and Maxxis Monorails
 

tommyjay

Not-So-Venerable Asshat
Kenda Nevegals UST 2.1 F & R (have also run the tubed version)

I have found these to be great all around, all conditions tires. Their grip provides lots of forgiveness for my lack of skill and finesse.

Some have said that the Nevs are heavy or have high rolling resistance, but I haven't noticed either compared to other tires I've run. Of course, I am not racing.
 

MTB Aussie

Member
Panaracer Fire XC Pro UST when it is sloppy (not too sloppy I wouldn't ride on trails and damage them), and Hutchinson Python UST when it's dry and packed.

Either way 30psi tubeless gives me the best hookup. Mostly CR, Hartshorne, Allaire and a lesser amount of Round Valley, Lew Mo, Ringwood.
 

anrothar

entirely thrilled
Don't believe the hype. The marketing departments get paid big bucks to distinguish their tires from everyone else's. 90% of it is BS. There are only a few riders that are able to recognize the other 10%. They get paid to ride and someone else changes their tires.

Pick a tire and go with it. I prefer tires with big volume with lighter weight for xc riding. Same tire for Ringwood and Allaire.

sooo, only a pro could tell the difference between a wtb vulpine(2.0) and a maxxis swamp thing(2.5) on any given course? your average rider wont notice any difference in traction, rolling resistance or shock absorbancy?

ecommerce_thumbnail.aspx


vulpine.jpg
 

walter

Fourth Party
The thing is, there is no "do it all" tire. Find one you like because of price/ride/compound/color and ride it. Try different pressures as well, that can change a tires performance drastically. I have a bunch to suggest but I change tires more often than I change my undies.

If all else fails, buy a 29er to lessen your tire choices.
 

clarkenstein

JORBA Money Launderer
JORBA.ORG
i rock the nevegals on my 29er. i dig 'em. i dont notice the rolling resistance issue with them, but i do feel like they hold well in the turns, and wet stuff.

on my dj bike i have whatever is cheap. when i had a 26" wheeled bikes i ran the panaracer fire x/cs, they were cheap and worked well... and they come in different colors - which makes them all the more awesomest.
 
Top Bottom