"What the fudge is a downcountry?"

In actual talk. As we dumb down trails further and further every year to compensate for the Zwifties and NICA kids, Downcountry makes a ton of sense. I'd really like to see a spot in NJ where you need more than 130mm of travel outside of a Bike Park.

I routinely use every bit of my 160mm riding in Ringwood, Wayway, and up in VT. Yes there are some sweet jumps involved. All you peeps who ride in Ringwood, you know what I'm talking about. Even if Jumping isn't involved, the travel is nice to have when I'm in bombing or in monster-truck mode. I will never trade down in travel unless I'm forced to move somewhere smooth and flat.

As an inexperienced rider in the market for a first real bike eventually, all this shit confuses me. Trying to wade through new hype vs outdated personal preferences is exhausting. Sure, I could/will demo bikes. But A. I'm not experienced enough to actually know what's good. And B. They're all $6k builds and I'll only be able to afford a $3k build, which will operate much differently. Meh.

As an inexperienced rider in the market for a first real bike eventually, all this shit confuses me. Trying to wade through new hype vs outdated personal preferences is exhausting. Sure, I could/will demo bikes. But A. I'm not experienced enough to actually know what's good. And B. They're all $6k builds and I'll only be able to afford a $3k build, which will operate much differently. Meh.

The dirty secret is the 3k build isn't much different than the 6k build. But it's in a different universe than the 1k build.

Buy used. But really the bikes that are the "newer" geometry that started coming out 5 years or so ago is that much nicer that what was before it. People are figuring out they don't need an XC race bike when they don't race.

The dirty secret is the 3k build isn't much different than the 6k build. But it's in a different universe than the 1k build.

Buy used. But really the bikes that are the "newer" geometry that started coming out 5 years or so ago is that much nicer that what was before it. People are figuring out they don't need an XC race bike when they don't race.
I suppose that's true. I cant bring myself to spend $3k on a direct used purchase. I'm all about second hand stuff, just not at that price. I figure, whatever I buy, I'm gonna be stuck with (hopefully loving) for at least 5 years, so I'm fine sinking a bit of coin in upgrades over time as things wear. But you cant upgrade geo and kinematics. With the capability of bikes today, and my mellow demeanor, I'm 90% sure whatever bike I buy will be rad AF...to me at least. Its just hard to follow when trying to make the decision partly based on paper/industry reviews

The dirty secret is the 3k build isn't much different than the 6k build. But it's in a different universe than the 1k build
Agree.

Disagree. Buy new with warranty. Just buy onsale or leftover.

But really the bikes that are the "newer" geometry that started coming out 5 years or so ago is that much nicer that what was before it
Disagree
The newer geo started 5 years ago but has been refined. Just like 29ers sucked at first. Now low and long can actually climb and turn. That wasn't always the case.

People are figuring out they don't need an XC race bike when they don't race.
Disagree. If anything, people are realizing that the new XC bikes are way more capable and are really good for 99% of their riding.

I suppose that's true. I cant bring myself to spend $3k on a direct used purchase. I'm all about second hand stuff, just not at that price. I figure, whatever I buy, I'm gonna be stuck with (hopefully loving) for at least 5 years, so I'm fine sinking a bit of coin in upgrades over time as things wear. But you cant upgrade geo and kinematics. With the capability of bikes today, and my mellow demeanor, I'm 90% sure whatever bike I buy will be rad AF...to me at least. Its just hard to follow when trying to make the decision partly based on paper/industry reviews
My RDO was under $3k
Like @jShort said... look for leftovers and look for deals.

My RDO was under $3k
Like @jShort said... look for leftovers and look for deals.
For me, the hardest part is that a lot of these different choices and options come down to personal preference and riding style...my problem is I don't really have either yet. I want to ride fairly aggressively, but want to be able to climb well too. But do I go for a Tallboy/Spearfish/Trance? Or Hightower/Horsethief/Stumpy/Ripmo AF? Hopefully It'll click from demoing.

But do I go for a Tallboy/Spearfish/Trance? Or Hightower/Horsethief/Stumpy/Ripmo AF?

Buy whichever one you can get the best deal on, ride it, and be happy. You're getting advice from people that have been seriously riding and racing for 10-20 years that have very strong opinions. You are newer to biking and should just get a good bicycle and ride the crap out of it.

For me, the hardest part is that a lot of these different choices and options come down to personal preference and riding style...my problem is I don't really have either yet. I want to ride fairly aggressively, but want to be able to climb well too. But do I go for a Tallboy/Spearfish/Trance? Or Hightower/Horsethief/Stumpy/Ripmo AF? Hopefully It'll click from demoing.
Buy the one with the sickest paint job.

Buy whichever one you can get the best deal on, ride it, and be happy. You're getting advice from people that have been seriously riding and racing for 10-20 years that have very strong opinions. You are newer to biking and should just get a good bicycle and ride the crap out of it.
Solid point. I have a blast on my talon (including places like sourlands and WC), so I'm sure any of those will be amazing in comparison.

Buy the one with the sickest paint job.
So the stumpjumpers are out.

Look at the ibis ripmo AF is in the 3k
Sorta at the top of my list. Supposedly that DW link is the beez kneez and those bikes are as good as they come in the price range. I also dig the raw aluminum style. And belmar bikes isn't that far from me.

I haven't seen a park in NJ where you can hit more than a knee high drop w/out really having to look for it (Mooch, Wayway, Mahlon, Wildcat, TOS, Ringwood, etc.). They're around, but not really part of the standard riding for most people. I find a poppy downcountry/XC bike much more fun than a plush enduro rig. That's just me; everything works around here.

I haven't seen a park in NJ where you can hit more than a knee high drop w/out really having to look for it (Mooch, Wayway, Mahlon, Wildcat, TOS, Ringwood, etc.). They're around, but not really part of the standard riding for most people. I find a poppy downcountry/XC bike much more fun than a plush enduro rig. That's just me; everything works around here.

There are definitely features higher than knee-high as part of the trail, or trail immediately adjacent, especially up north. You're either not riding the trails that have them, or aren't looking anywhere but 10ft straight ahead of you. Also a lot of those ramped rollers on the more popular trails are jumps if you hit them with speed. There's also tons of white-knuckle stuff if you know where to look. Some of the good stuff follows Fight Club rules, and even then still isn't exactly what I'd consider hidden.

And for the record, riding mellower terrain, or not being into more challenging obstacles is perfectly fine. You’re actually a lot smarter than I am, and probably spend less of your time in pain, or limping around trying to explain to every adult that asks that you crashed on a bike while trying to do things like you’re still 12. You know, my mid-life crisis demands that I try to pull off some moves like the guys in those you-tube edits in one take vs. the many it took to make the edit. If you are into riding sensibly, wouldn’t you be better served with something with a little more agility vs. something with less travel but the wheelbase of a truck? I believe those bikes exist and are called trail bikes, like someone already mentioned here.

Back
Top Bottom