What style bike is everyone riding in North NJ?

roc

Yes, I was there.. Thanks, great time and great trails.
Roc were you in our group or in passing?
I thought I recognized that bike! I was in your group, I gave you the extended tour after we split up. Great ride! I was definitely tired after that one. I'm Rob.

mcim29

I thought I recognized that bike! I was in your group, I gave you the extended tour after we split up. Great ride! I was definitely tired after that one. I'm Rob.
Lol.. That's right man. Yeah thanks for the tour. It was alot of fun riding with you guys. You need to hit DP< Stephens and Mooch with us.

Fat Trout

I'm riding all those places and in fact I live across the street from Allamuchy. My main ride is a Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5. Its 4" of travel front and rear. I have a 2.4 front and 2.25 rear tire running tubless. This is and awesome setup and I don't feel like I'm travel limited for suspension or in any way limited (other than my own skills) in these areas. I ride a rigid fatbike in these places too. Granted I pick and choose my trails on the rigid. On the Anthem I have a dropper post but that was from a trip to British Columbia and I've kept it but I almost never use it around here. I guess its just like having an overweight safety blanket for now. I rode Candy Ass in Allamuchy recently on this same bike. No travel issue, no rock garden issue where I thought I needed more. I'm not jumping up and down for this bike. Just saying that a 4" bike can be just fine!

subazforce

I got a '13 trek fuel ex8, suspension dialed in for my weight and I have no problem with any of the local parks in north jersey.

skyrokz

I ride a specialized enduro 29er with 160mm travel and a ibis mojo hdr 27.5 with 140mm travel and just recently sold my specialized stumpjumper FSR that had 130mm travel. I love having the extra travel, I'm 6'3 at about 195lbs and the longer travel just makes the ride so much more fun and comfortable on my back and legs. Keep in mind that I like to ride slow, more so for fun than anything else, the long travel is a great exercise too on climbs as you are loosing tons of energy along wih the suspension-bob.
The way I see it is more suspension/slacker head angle, a more comfortable, confidence inspiring ride, slower on uphills, faster on downhills,
Less suspension, steeper head angle, faster and easier on the climbs, not as plush or comfortable and until you have a good bit of saddle time less confident on downhills but might be more nimble and more responsive in tighter turns and switchbacks because of the shorter wheelbase.
At the end of the day, it all boils down to how you feel on the bike and how good you are, most people from the forum on their full rigid bikes can smoke me on the uphills and the downhills regardless of my suspension.

jumpa

I ride a specialized enduro 29er with 160mm travel and a ibis mojo hdr 27.5 with 140mm travel and just recently sold my specialized stumpjumper FSR that had 130mm travel. I love having the extra travel, I'm 6'3 at about 195lbs and the longer travel just makes the ride so much more fun and comfortable on my back and legs. Keep in mind that I like to ride slow, more so for fun than anything else, the long travel is a great exercise too on climbs as you are loosing tons of energy along wih the suspension-bob.
The way I see it is more suspension/slacker head angle, a more comfortable, confidence inspiring ride, slower on uphills, faster on downhills,
Less suspension, steeper head angle, faster and easier on the climbs, not as plush or comfortable and until you have a good bit of saddle time less confident on downhills but might be more nimble and more responsive in tighter turns and switchbacks because of the shorter wheelbase.
At the end of the day, it all boils down to how you feel on the bike and how good you are, most people from the forum on their full rigid bikes can smoke me on the uphills and the downhills regardless of my suspension.

has nothing to do with you or your bike and everything to do with your pre ride kielbasa meals post ride 4 slices of pizza and chipotle :D

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I've been debating trying a shorter stem and wider bars. Would that be heading in the right direction to calm it down?

Currently it has a 110mm stem with 680mm flat bars.

ac

I would try shorter stem and wider bars first. I'm normally comfortable on 70-90mm stem and 710-720mm bars. Or try to borrow a bike, or demo (Jungle Jam), or go on a group ride and swap bikes with someone. Try to get a feel for different bikes and setups. Don't buy a bike because someone tells you on the Internet.

Monkey Soup

Angry Wanker
I ride mainly top of Skyline, Wayway, Mooch, and VT. I used to ride all of these places wih a hard tail, but will never go back to one. I ride on 5+ inches of suspension, and use all of it. I like to occasionally jump, and usually jump all of the rolls. I don't think it's as much a question of travel, but geometry. A slack 6" bike will no be your friend around here. You need something thing with travel, but maneuverability.

avc8130

I don't think a rigid SS is in my immediate future. I am WAY too out of shape, I'll just wind up taking my bike for a hike!

I like the idea of trying some bikes. Looks like hitting up Jungle Jam should give me plenty of opportunities.

It's not that I WANT to buy a new bike because that is what the internet says, it's that I feel like I'm fighting my current bike more than it helping me.

ac

jumpa

Whenever I feel that way I just watch Mtb vids of riders from the year or year before my bike was made then tell myself "ahh its me that sucks at riding , not the bike. Gotcha. "

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
personally I LOVE my 17 year old bike. Nothing compares in my opinion.

on that note, what bikes are people riding? Ride what you like, and ride something that makes you feel confident. Doesnt matter if its SS or geared, rigid or full suspension. Ride what ever makes you smile the most.

Last edited:
Top Bottom