What size pack do you use?

Which pack?

• Total voters

R0B

What size hydropack do you guys use on the trails? Also what specific pack do you use?

I'm in the market for a new hydropack and am split between the Osprey Synchro 15 & new Manta 20. Anyone use either of these for hiking & biking in NJ?

Magic

Formerly 1sh0t1b33r
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Osprey Syncro 3 for racing and most rides. Almost the same water capacity as the Mule, but small and sleek on the back with a few small pockets for necessities.

Camelbak Mule for longer bike days to carry spare clothes, rain jackets, food, picnic, whatever. I have hiked with it in Maine with both the bladder in and out.

ktmrider

The bladder removal is super easy , I will never own a camelbak again .
Go OSPRAY
IMG_1800.JPG

R0B

Osprey Syncro 3 for racing and most rides. Almost the same water capacity as the Mule, but small and sleek on the back with a few small pockets for necessities.

Camelbak Mule for longer bike days to carry spare clothes, rain jackets, food, picnic, whatever. I have hiked with it in Maine with both the bladder in and out.

I actually have been using a Mule for the past 10+ years; the 100oz bladder is great but storage not so much. I'm guessing you're referring to the new Mule.

My crux is the new Manta 20's construction looks much better than the Synchro 15.

ktmrider

The one in the picture , not sure the model . The manta 20 I believe . The bladder is by far what I like about it plus I like the magnet that is on the chest strap for easy drinking

R0B

The one in the picture , not sure the model . The manta 20 I believe . The bladder is by far what I like about it plus I like the magnet that is on the chest strap for easy drinking

What do you use the pack for? Hiking? Biking? How long are you on the trails and what are you carrying? Is it too bulky for riding? This is my concern with the Manta 20 it'll be way too big for riding.

ktmrider

I use it for everything , I have done 1/2 day rides with it .
I carry a lot of tools and a shell , spare tube . One hitter , lighter and a safety j
I have had a hand gun as well and bear spray . And air horn .
It doesn't feel large when it's on , I like the breathable back as well , unlike my shitty camelback

R0B

I also c
I use it for everything , I have done 1/2 day rides with it .
I carry a lot of tools and a shell , spare tube . One hitter , lighter and a safety j
I have had a hand gun as well and bear spray . And air horn .
It doesn't feel large when it's on , I like the breathable back as well , unlike my shitty camelback

I also carry more tools and equipment than I probably need but I'd rather the little bit of extra weight than be in the woods needing them. On/off I also carry some camera equipment as well.

rick81721

Lothar
This reminds me I picked up a black wolf pack in Australia that has a hydration port. It's bigger than my camelbak but one thing I hate about the camel is it lays flat on my back and gets really hot and sweaty. The BW has an alloy support and stays off your back. Gotta try it

R0B

The Shinano looks good but one thing I like about the Ospreys are the webbing on the back panels and the sausaging of my Mule is another reason I was straying from anything without an internal frame.

I think I'm going with the Synchro 15. Manta 20 is nice but it may be too big for my daily rides.

Karate Monkey

The Shinano looks good but one thing I like about the Ospreys are the webbing on the back panels and the sausaging of my Mule is another reason I was straying from anything without an internal frame.

I think I'm going with the Synchro 15. Manta 20 is nice but it may be too big for my daily rides.

I use(d) an Unzen 6. In my opinion, that's the largest size that design works really well with. It's large enough to hold two spare tubes, wallet, phone, keys, multi tool, pump, and room to spare for food and a couple of layers. The material is very stretchy, and expands quite a bit. The Source bladder is easily better than CamelBak or Osprey, since the top can be opened entirely for easy cleaning–no brushes/hoops to jump through to dry it out, either.

I like the strap arrangement better, too, since I have a separated AC. The smaller size don't need a waist band that impedes good breathing, either. Even filled up, the 6 doesn't flop around, since most of the weight is in the small of your back. IMO, the only reason to step up to the 10+ is it you want carry loops on it, but 6" of tubular webbing, a sewing machine/awl (or a friend with one), and 5 minutes solves that problem.

I used to use a CamelBak Alpine pack, but that is in a whole different category (medium/large daypack with loops for trekking poles/axes, etc).

rick81721

Lothar
Tried the black wolf today - at 30 L it's ridiculously big for a few hour ride but I like the concept of frame and pack off the back - much more comfortable and it wasn't even that hot. Time to re-think the camobak

thegock

I have an burnt orange Osprey Raptor 14 for the winter/longer rides and a blue Osprey Raptor 10 for the summer/shorter rides. Also use a green Osprey Talon 22 for expedition/5+ hour days. All are great. If I had to choose one, it would be the Raptor 14, which has worn like iron.

The amount of stuff (including trail tools most of the time) that I have in the packs is definitely on the high side, but I have used it all at times over the years.

R0B

I have an burnt orange Osprey Raptor 14 for the winter/longer rides and a blue Osprey Raptor 10 for the summer/shorter rides. Also use a green Osprey Talon 22 for expedition/5+ hour days. All are great. If I had to choose one, it would be the Raptor 14, which has worn like iron.

The amount of stuff (including trail tools most of the time) that I have in the packs is definitely on the high side, but I have used it all at times over the years.

Initially I was going to go for the Raptor 14 but, a big factor was the ventilation on the back which the Syncro 15 has seemed better as I sweat quite a lot in the summer months. I'm planning on using this for minimal hiking as well but 3/4 of the time it will be used riding.

I'd like to fit a 3l reservoir in the syncro 15.

Last edited:

Ian F

I have two and it depends on the ride. At a place like 6 Mile, I use a small Camelback with a 70 oz bladder. For longer rides where I like to carry more water (and beer) and more spares, I have a larger Vaude pack.

Top Bottom