What should be in the toolbox that is headed to the trails, on a size, weight and price budget...

Cassinonorth

I've been tempted to do something similar, just for the coolness factor. Do you use that same setup when working on stuff at home or two sets of tools?

I usually bring it in to work on my bike, yeah. I have doubles of most tools but not all in there so it's just easier to bring it in when it's time to do bigger jobs. That's my primary torque wrench as well. My basement looks like so:

ezyxld8urvq51.jpg

Lucky to have a girlfriend who's cool with giving up the space down there.

A Potted Plant

Honorary Sod
This is what lives in my SWAT box along with the tiny multi tool in the steerer tube.

View attachment 155590

And this lives in the trunk.

View attachment 155591

Which is well beyond overkill for 95% of people, obviously. COVID provided ample time to curate that box. I can make a full list of what I have in there if you do care. It was a fun project and I use it quite a bit.

I'm a sucker for kit, I started measuring out stuff to do the same but haven't executed. This is very nice

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
Shock pump is something that always comes up on a group ride that someone wants, and nobody has. Me, i only mess with my fork/shock pressures every few months so no big deal to me but some people/bikes are finicky. I wear a Camelback and carry a multitool, minpump, spare tube, old piece of tire for a sidewall boot, tire levers, chain breaker, quick links, bacon strip kit, glueless patches (if bike's not tubeless), and a few Jorbands.
Washed my Camelbak today so obligatory "what's in my pack" photo
20210506_093302.jpg

Cassinonorth

If I had to pick 1 multitool to go with me on rides it would probably be the Wolftooth 8 bit:

spoke wrench; valve core wrench; flat head #3.5 and Phillips #2 screwdriver bits; 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm hex; and T10, T25 Torx compatible) master link pliers, valve cleaning rasp, valve core wrench, master link storage

With an honorable mention to the Crankbrothers F15"

spoke wrench; flat head #1 and philips #2 screwdriver bits; 2mm, 2.5mm, 3mm, 4mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm hex; and T25 torx; chain tool compatible with 8-12sp

Jmann

Never gonna let you down.
Just got the wolf tooth chain pliers with the quick link storage. Snapped a quick link a couple weeks ago and used my only spare. Surprisingly remembered to replace it, instead of only remembering when I actually needed it.
Also got the lenzyne tubeless repair kit, because no one want to put a tube in.

These days I keep a new chain and a spare tire in the car. Just in case something happens early on a ride.

Cassinonorth

This is an interesting product for keeping your tools tidy in your trunk:

P1010436_1_1296x.JPG

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
I am bringing the whole family to the trails now, and with 4 or 5 bikes depending on the number of mammals going with me that day the odds of me needing more than a multitool, tirelevers, and a spare tube are definitely going up. I keep a cheap(er) track pump in the truck, and was thinking about the other must haves to bring with. I am thinking a better chain breaker, 2-10 nm torque wrench, and a proper set of L allen keys, maybe a 7 inch knipex... and then I watch a few more toolbox wars videos on youtube, and am thinking I need 40lbs and 2k of abbey tools for each day trip...

What do you bring on road trips, and what gets left home?

In my camelbak is a Crankbros m-17, tubolito, pedros levers, Israeli bandage, cat torniquet, and some bandaids too. and now some cable ties too.
Bring only the tools you carry when riding solo but strap a tube to everyone's bike. I’ve got a spare tube on all my bikes, my kid's bikes and also my wife's. I never have to worry if anyone gets a flat. This simple strap works great and its cheap... https://granite-design.com/products/rockband.

I picked up this great multitool a few months ago... https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/tradesman-bike-multi-tool.
It's a little heavy but has everything including a master link tool. This and a good mini-pump are all you need for 99% of your rides.

jackx

I had 2 instances when my bike was new last summer where multiple spokes broke at Mooch and Wawayanda and I was unable to continue riding. So I've resorted to bringing along extra spokes and a long spoke wrench because the nipples are internal.

The broken spokes and nipples punctured the rim tape leaving me flat, although they did not puncture the tire. I don't have a dart tool, so maybe something to consider.

KenS

JORBA: Director
JORBA.ORG
I had 2 instances when my bike was new last summer where multiple spokes broke at Mooch and Wawayanda and I was unable to continue riding. So I've resorted to bringing along extra spokes and a long spoke wrench because the nipples are internal.

The broken spokes and nipples punctured the rim tape leaving me flat, although they did not puncture the tire. I don't have a dart tool, so maybe something to consider.
Secure/bend/wrap broken spokes to adjacent spokes, toss a tube in and ride on. JORBands and/or tape help to secure the smaller section of spoke. Replace the spoke on your bench or at the bike shop post ride.

Replacing a spoke trailside will almost always require removing either a disc or a cassette, and one should not carry tools to do that while riding, let alone re-setting your tubeless tape.

Karate Monkey

@jackx @KenS please don't bend/wrap up spokes. It drives the wheel builder crazy when you say, "I need a new spoke" and they have nothing to measure/have to make an [educated] guess.

[I mean, not really, do what you got to to get home, but a small zip tie should be in your bag, anyway]

BTW: let me introduce you to the Stein "Hyper Cracker". It works, but should be tested on your bike before relying on it (doesn't work with everything).

Ian F

Great concept. Not sure I'd want to try using that on a aluminum or carbon frame. All the frames in the pics look to be steel.
Agreed. But that would be part of the "testing" prior to heading out into the bush. A small piece of metal between the pin and the frame may spread the loads enough to prevent damage.

Top Bottom