What ratio are you running your SS @ Allaire

Schilling

Team MTBNJ Halter's
i used to refer to this alot to make sense of gear ratios/inches

http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/

for the most part work in a gear that is challenging for the type of ride/location. once you start spinning the gear decrease your cog size. when you run out of cogs increase your chain ring.

remember singlespeeding can be tough on your knees in the beginning. building up the muscles around the knee helps. i have found running, lunges, and squats to also help strengthen the knee region.

i started allaire at 32x17, but changed to 18 due to my knees. over time i have incrementally worked to a 34x17 and i find the 2:1 ratio works well at allaire.

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Funny as I was riding down a 6mile yesterday I felt so undergeared @ 32x18 guess that's why you guys down south run bigger chainrings...

Kerrigan911

i started with a 33x19 for a few trips and have been using 33x18. seems to be the ideal gearing on a ss 29er for me

Ringo

for allaire gear ratio of 32x18 works out best for me in all trails. might have to get off the bike when losing traction the tiger climb where its nasty sandy. try to experiment with what works out for you. :getsome:

Jolly705

I just put on new wheels and realized the previous owner swapped out the gearing. I actually have 33/16 which seemed spot on at 6 mile. I hope to try Allaire next weekend.

I must be slow, I did 33/20 at 6 Miles and felt pretty good. I did just buy an 18 though to try.

BShow

I am new to the SS game and plan on hitting Allaire in a couple of weeks, this is some great info. So far I love riding SS and rode 6 miles last weekend with 33/20. The gearing seemed spot on to me. Not to high jack the thread but what are some other good areas to ride SS? Thanks.

Anywhere you would ride your geared xc bike is good for a singlespeed xc bike. ;-)

Ringo

32x18 at allaire is perfect especially when at tiger IMO. but you might be spinning when hammering hard on the flat sections of the trail, just give it a try and see what you like. as long as your having fun, Its Good..

Jeffreywoliver

Don’t know shit about gear ratios. I have a fat bike that I leave at the beach and ride when I’m there. Currently has a double chainring and gears. Bike is a KHS fat bike with stock components. Looking to go single speed. What’s a good ratio for riding on the beach, but also on the roads and bike paths without being over or under geared? Thanks in advance.

Jeffreywoliver

Don’t know shit about gear ratios. I have a fat bike that I leave at the beach and ride when I’m there. Currently has a double chainring and gears. Bike is a KHS fat bike with stock components. Looking to go single speed. What’s a good ratio for riding on the beach, but also on the roads and bike paths without being over or under geared? Thanks in advance.
Reading above I’m thinking 32x16-17 for all flat land riding on packed sand or pavement.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
I typically run a34/16 at allaire but I usually only visit in winter training months. I think a 34/18 is fastest if you have good power/weight. Lighter guys seem to like a 34/19-20. All can be similar in speed. I am closer to @Mitch in size and tend to like a harder gear there and even at a place like Hartshorne.

pooriggy

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Reading above I’m thinking 32x16-17 for all flat land riding on packed sand or pavement.
If you are just looking for a stroll on the beach go 32-17 or 18. Better to be too spinny then to stiff. For racing that's when you need to be more concerned about spinning out a gear.

Mitch

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Jeff, there is no gear for what your asking. If you're going to ride on sand then road you would need 2 cogs. You're going on 2 opposite ends of the spectrum. Fat bike SS road would maybe be a 34x16 or 17. On the beach probably a 18 or 19. All depends on your strengths. I like to mash my pedals and don't spin to fast. Some folks like to spin (roadie's). Either way have fun..

Karate Monkey

Jeff, there is no gear for what your asking. If you're going to ride on sand then road you would need 2 cogs. You're going on 2 opposite ends of the spectrum. Fat bike SS road would maybe be a 34x16 or 17. On the beach probably a 18 or 19. All depends on your strengths. I like to mash my pedals and don't spin to fast. Some folks like to spin (roadie's). Either way have fun..

Dinglespeed and a double chainring crank. Spiders be plentiful/cheap :)

(that is, two cogs that are 2 teeth apart, 2 chainrings that are two teeth apart. Net difference between the two is zero[ish] change of axle position, with a large difference between the two effective gears)

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions