what pack to get?

THATmanMANNY

Right now I rock a Camelbak Slipstream with Capacity water 50 oz (1.5 L) & Cargo 67in3 (1.1 L). I don't pack much now and I'm 50/50 if I wear it or not but if I plan to be gone 5 hours, I'm gonna need more water, food, some spare parts.

I'm looking for a new pack to get that is 100oz for those long hot summer rides. Especially those all day AM rides at the mooch :D Ive run out of water a few times already and with some epics planned for this year that are longer than the usual weekly rides, I'll need that extra water/space.

It would also be useful for winter riding as it can pack more emergency items. I'm not sure what cargo space size Im looking for. I'm thinking the Camelbak Mule (100oz, 600in3) would be the do all, but I'm not sure if I need all that cargo space and go with something like the Lobo (100oz, 200in3).

Anyone use the mule and the lobo? What's up with that new "NV" thing on some Camelbaks? Thoughts? Any other bags to look at?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Manny -
Check this...
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11068

I have the lobo and mule. Lobo for the summer, and mule for the winter... The mule has got alot more room for packing an extra layer The lobo has room for a little food and tools... but nowhere for a layer of clothing.

You could check the ergon packs. They are alot more expensive, but id guess they are pretty cool

Engignar

Somebody was selling an Ergon pack on here not too long ago, don't know if it sold. I have only heard good things about them. I use a camelback Ventoux (I think) which is not cycling specific, but holds 100 oz and is really really big when fully expanded. Really big.

spindoctor

Shop: Allendale Cycle
Shop Keep
Also take a look at some of the Hydrapack products, price-wise they are on par with Camelback. I feel the functionality is a little better and the bladder is much easier to clean. They also have outstanding customer service and replacement.

With most of the larger packs, they come with the insulation for the tube and 2 bite valves (one for the bike, one straight for backup/skiing).

Just my $0.02.

GSTim

Formerly M3Tim
Manny,

I have a mule and while it looks huge and holds tons of stuff, I find that it kind of disappears on my back unless I have a ton of stuff in there.

Tim

idbrian

Crotch Rot
Love the mule. But will probably go for the ergon next. I sweat A LOT and the ergon has breathing room.

My Mule is probably pretty smelly. I have to bleach it monthly. I used to store it in the freezer between rides.

My cat likes to hang out and smell my stinky mule after a ride. I'm aware of how that sounds.

Shaggz

A strong 7
I despise the Lobo almost as much as I love the MULE. I said it in the other thread, but I am looking to pick up a Ergon this year. Don't remeber if it is BD-1 or BD-2, but the smaller of the two. Egons do not come with a bladder,which is something to keep in the back of your mind if you are considering them.

Kirt is/was selling his Ergon pack, not too sure if he still has it.

NJ-XC-Justin

KY-DH-Freddy
got a mule -- it's always been great, though if i had to do it over again and had the cake, i'd go ergon. rarely do i need that much space and the compartments of the ergon are really smart. 100oz BH300 reservoir fits all their packs. pricey though.

J-Dro

I like Dakine packs better then Camelbacks, although CB makes a damn good pack too. Dakine uses a sweet Nalgene bladder that has a detachable hose. Check out either the Nomad or Drafter model. Both hold 100 oz.

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd
got a mule -- it's always been great, though if i had to do it over again and had the cake, i'd go ergon. rarely do i need that much space and the compartments of the ergon are really smart. 100oz BH300 reservoir fits all their packs. pricey though.

I like the pockets/compartment arrangement on the MULE better than my Ergon BD2, but the BD2's strap system is so comfy, I'll probably never touch the MULE again. Once it is setup correctly, the BD2 damn near disappears on your back.

idbrian

Crotch Rot
I like the pockets/compartment arrangement on the MULE better than my Ergon BD2, but the BD2's strap system is so comfy, I'll probably never touch the MULE again. Once it is setup correctly, the BD2 damn near disappears on your back.

Is the BD1 comparable in storage space to the Mule. Do you know?

Fogerson

Former Resident Nerd

The BD1 has a 12L capacity. The MULE has a 10L cargo capacity.

I'm not sure, but I don't think the 10L capacity with the MULE includes the bladder pocket where as I think the BD1 includes the bladder "area/pocket". If the BD1 is like my BD2, the bladder pocket is just a "divider" in the main compartment, whereas it is a separate pocket/compartment altogether on the MULE.

So, my take it is about a wash...

Kirt

JORBA: Chimney Rock, Team MTBNJ.COM
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's

The Ergon has more storage space than the Mule, it's just basically all in 1 big compartment. I've had a mule for as long as I've been seriously riding. I tried the BD1 & in the end just didn't like it. While it does take the wt off your back, it just felt bulky. Always seemed like it was in the way. I recently got a new Mule NV & really love it. By far better then my 2 older Mules.

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/mule-nv

THATmanMANNY

Manny -
Check this...
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11068

I have the lobo and mule. Lobo for the summer, and mule for the winter... The mule has got alot more room for packing an extra layer The lobo has room for a little food and tools... but nowhere for a layer of clothing.
My bad I missed that thread. I only searched pack.
Maybe a Lobo then :hmmm:

I despise the Lobo almost as much as I love the MULE....
nvm :rolleyes:

I like Dakine packs better then Camelbacks, although CB makes a damn good pack too. Dakine uses a sweet Nalgene bladder that has a detachable hose. Check out either the Nomad or Drafter model. Both hold 100 oz.
they do look dope and store like a mother and Ive seen your bag. That thing looks pretty tough and I like how it has straps for protection :hmmm: What store(s) carry Dakine? FYI, in Hawaii Dakine is a local word meaning like whatchamacallit. It's like a word that can pretty mean anything.

The Ergon has more storage space than the Mule, it's just basically all in 1 big compartment. I've had a mule for as long as I've been seriously riding. I tried the BD1 & in the end just didn't like it. While it does take the wt off your back, it just felt bulky. Always seemed like it was in the way. I recently got a new Mule NV & really love it. By far better then my 2 older Mules.

http://www.camelbak.com/sports-recreation/hydration-packs/mule-nv
I'm gonna go check out that Mule NV.
But where do you find Ergon bags around here?

I'm probably gonna spend a good bill and change on this bag so in the end, I'm gonna need to find these 3 or so bags I'm interested in and try them on.

one piece crank

Manny,

I prefer extra capacity cinched-down, rather than a smaller pack stuffed to the gills. I can distribute weight better, and avoid that beach-ball-on-my-back feeling. That said, I went with the HAWG. Since I'm on the big-n-tall side, it actually seems like a small pack to me, yet I can still pack extra layers for Winter or out West...or enough "family spares" for the myriad of bikes that flow out of our garage!

Tom P.

Jim & Val

Manny,
I've been very happy with the Camelback Blowfish. Funny name but it works really well, especially on those spring/fall rides where I always seem to overdress at the start. It has a large expandable area that can hold at least 2 jackets as well as arm/leg warmers, gloves, etc.
Jim

Top Bottom