What needs fixing first

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
With coolers temps coming sooner than later I am hoping to get some people together to do some fall trail work. Id like to get a list to the park contact so we can run it by her. So...What needs attention first?

As always if you want to volunteer let me know.

gmb3

JORBA: Sourlands
JORBA.ORG
TempeWick Lot down to the bridge is a rutted out, super stravaline highway. "the usual muddy spots" still need attention even though they havent been muddy for months in this drought.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I don't know how to answer this without saying, "The whole park."

I know that's not helpful. I think the switchbacks that were done ~ 5 years ago need to be totally rerouted. They're pretty poorly designed IMO.

We (Team MTBNJ) have been looking to take on specific projects for TM days and I would be open to trying to get a crew out for a specific project day. We would want to take on something along those lines. More impactful, project-based work, such as that.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
That wet spot on the yellow trail about 1/2 mile from where it comes out to PP near the lake.
It has always been there, it almost never dries.

It needs to be back-cut on the high side to get the water to cross in 1 place, which should be armored,
and correctly pitched - too much going on to do any type of pipe.

Konaklunker

I am more than willing to donate the TM hours, but with the high volume it receives I wanna support and develop sturdy work. Already new green near the end has a sweeping left turn thru a small gully into an off-camber sketchy right turn. Needs to be reinforced or at least evaluated. And I concur with @Patrick @gmb3 @Norm. Park needs a lot of TLC

goldsbar

Echoing some of the other comments...

The "newer" switchbacks (10 yrs?) after the log pile are a complete shit show. It's a widened out mess with multiple different lines on every corner. Bulldoze the whole thing and start again. The short up and down orange segment between yellow and green is a disaster, but not sure what can be done about that one. It's really not a necessary trail. The new single track on the Northern Loop is not sustainable IMO. The off camber turns are already showing roots.

LewMo is a nightmare. "Rake and ride" trails (I love that term) will quickly become rooted out dirt roads. There are no natural barriers combined with tons of riders. A lot of thought needs to be given before the "raking" starts. I have high hopes for that new green segment. Appears to be machine built? Whatever the case, it's a trail designed with few reasons for riders to go off trail and create new lines. Some of the other trails have held up very well over time. The switchbacks that parallel the dirt road near the backside entrance are a longstanding favorite and the roller coaster that ends at the pond is always fun.

Id_rather_be_skiing

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
JORBA.ORG
Thanks I also agree this park needs a lot of work. Even though I am the Jorba rep, I have no trail building experience so I am taking any help I can get. @goldsbar bulldozing isn't at option at this point, id like to get JORBA or whoever wants to help to fix smaller problem areas first to show Amy the park contact that we are in fact doing work.

The "new" stuff on the northern loop...how does that get fixed before it becomes a problem?

goldsbar

I'm referring to the highlighted trail below when mentioning the new trail that's not necessarily sustainable. My TBing skills are also close to nil, but I've been riding long enough that I can spot what's good and what's bad most of the time. There are plenty of folk that live very close to LewMo that have trail building experience, though on terrain that's significantly different. The problem with the highlighted trail IMO is that a few turns are off camber which will wear down to the roots -- which people will avoid -- which will widen the trail to the typical 12 foot LewMo standard. Bench cut/berms?

I was only joking about the bulldozing. Sort of.

1661277340769.png

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I'm referring to the highlighted trail below when mentioning the new trail that's not necessarily sustainable. My TBing skills are also close to nil, but I've been riding long enough that I can spot what's good and what's bad most of the time. There are plenty of folk that live very close to LewMo that have trail building experience, though on terrain that's significantly different. The problem with the highlighted trail IMO is that a few turns are off camber which will wear down to the roots -- which people will avoid -- which will widen the trail to the typical 12 foot LewMo standard. Bench cut/berms?

Interesting. Is that a new build? I had no idea that was redone/new. When was that worked on?

goldsbar

Interesting. Is that a new build? I had no idea that was redone/new. When was that worked on?
Not sure exactly when, but not too long ago. I just sort of noticed it one day as part of a routine ride. Maybe a year or two I'd guess.

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
it isn't official, but it isn't "illegal" it kinda just was there one day. It is a fun alternative

So this is not something you nor the park built? But it's ok to be there?

If we really think this is an issue you should reach out to Amy and see if she is ok with a small remediation project there.

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Rode LewMo twice this week so this will be a more detailed post as I saw some things that need attention. No puddles today which was good but you could see what areas were damp. They mostly just need nicks or clearing of the low side so water flows off the trail instead of sitting on it. In general, LewMo is a more novice riding destination so certain maintenance item will be different from an "advanced" rider park (know your audience).
One of the dips on the yellow roller coaster section by the lake has cut up logs blocking the drainage so water will puddle on the trail.
20220824_133240.jpg

On the pink trail, lining the outside of the turn with rocks is not a good idea, unless you plan to build up a berm with proper water diversion before and after it. If left this way, water will be kept on the trail and accelerate erosion.
20220824_125530.jpg

On yellow if you want to block off a shortcut line, do it at the beginning of the shortcut and don't pile rocks in the middle of it where a rider could get stuck plowing into the rocks. Now if the plan is to cover these with dirt for a roller or jump, that would be cool but don't leave a half finished rockpile for someone to crash into.
20220824_130005.jpg

A couple logs to cut. If these were at an advanced park I'd leave them but not here. On yellow a little after that rock pile above.
20220824_130124.jpg

On red after the TempeWick bridge. Could cut half of it out to leave an optional challenge.
20220824_131017.jpg

And on the left yellow split after the TempeWick bridge there is a dangerous leaner for an experienced sawyer to deal with.
20220824_131211.jpg

@Id_rather_be_skiing not sure if some of that rock work was you but just wanted to pass some of my Trailbuilder's experience and knowledge on to you

Attachments

• 20220824_131017.jpg
    20220824_131017.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 20220824_133240.jpg
    20220824_133240.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 82

gmb3

JORBA.ORG
Thanks I also agree this park needs a lot of work. Even though I am the Jorba rep, I have no trail building experience so I am taking any help I can get. @goldsbar bulldozing isn't at option at this point, id like to get JORBA or whoever wants to help to fix smaller problem areas first to show Amy the park contact that we are in fact doing work.

The "new" stuff on the northern loop...how does that get fixed before it becomes a problem?
The new trail on northern loop seems totally fine to me. A couple turns may be a little tight and blind which could lead to skidding (which accelerates erosion) but other than that, seems nice.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions