What Makes Road Riding Fun?

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
Believe it or not, some people have no idea why we do it.
They think it must be really boring out of the woods.

So what's so fun about riding the road?

To start it off:
Ride no handed. Its one of the very few things that make road riding fun.:D

Cyclopath says: SPEED!!!!!

What do you say?

doctor855

Speed, the fact that you can roll down your driveway and away you go (loading into a car and driving to a trail can be a pain at times)...seeing another rider up ahead and trying to catch him. (sucks when you are caught though) and wearing tight pants:D

antgold

constant pace ... time to think ... not worries about technical stuff ..not always on mode for drops and steep climbs ...

liong71er

laughing at folks who drives and stuck at trafficjam(but when it not jammed i'm the one who get laugh at:D)no.. no.. no JKidding!

1.showing of my track stand at red light.
2.because i don't have car.
3.so i can get out and enjoying the view.
4.it's better than sitting on your couch and watch tv.
5.make/meet new friends who share same passion.
6.speed (if i have road bikes,wich i don't)
7.training purpose.
8.having fun with my bikes offcourse:D
9.well that all i got,...

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I like a few things about road riding...

A) First and foremost, IPOD!! I'm not sure why it's bad to ride off-road with an Ipod and perfectly acceptable on the road:hmmm:

B) I like the "I rode my bike to here" aspect. There's a lot more opportunity to get REALLY far from home on the road bike. I've ridden my bike to Atlantic City every year for my family reunion and the reactions from my relatives are worth every hour on the road!! One thing we take for granted as enthusiasts are the normal person's grasp of "far". Even to average cyclists the 5-Boro bike tour is "far". Tell them you did 120 miles just for the hell of it and they may try to have you committed:D

C) More structured workout.

D) NOT driving your car!! My goal for this year is to put at least 3x the amount of miles on my bike than car. 100 miles in the car, 300 miles on the bike. I'd like to get to a point where I use my car to drop the kids off at school and to drive to rides/races and that's it.

-Jim.

Last edited:

pixychick

JORBA: Ringwood
JORBA.ORG
I like going cool places. Mountain bikes are not allowed everywhere, so it is nice to get a change in scenery and see things that I may get to see in the woods. It also keeps me in shape during mud season.

I also like to ride from my house and not need to use my car to go to the park. It feels good when I ride 50 or 100 miles on a weekend and my car never leaves the garage. I try to buy gas once a month.

I also like the light bike and no camelback, just what's in my pockets. It feels simple.

....And then there is the wind on my face. The faster you go, the more wind. Not as appreciated in winter, but in summer it is like eating a peppermint patty.:)

dhsean

The Peeps!

1. Riding with Jim V when it 16 degrees out trying not to die on ice patches and not drinking anything from our frozen water bottles.

2. Yelling at Fred climbing up Warrenville Road trying to catch Jim.

3. Riding with friends for extended periods of time dicing it up - stand-up and crush your friends fun.

Just a couple of the things that make road riding fun. There are tons more. Bikes are fun - right? :D

Wobbegong

1. Quiet country roads. There are some beautiful roads in NJ if you know where to look.

2. Fitness gained on the road bike is huge. I'm working hard to get it back.

3. Paceline riding. I love club rides with 10 or so equally strong riders hammering in the farm flats. The speed is exciting.

4. Getting out and BSing with a group of friends. You can do this better on the road. Quiet road, riding 3 across, good stuff.

BiknBen

Speed, Speed, and more speed.

http://www.vimeo.com/2299596

-Riding and actually going somewhere.
-The challenge of the climb and the thrill of the descent.
-Riding within inches of the guy in front of you trusting that he is your eyes.
-Drafting vehicles
-Throwing the bike into a corner and stickin the turn.
-The Woosh, Woosh, Woosh you here when you stand up and sprint.
-The look on my co-workers face when I tell them I rode further to work than they drove...and it's raining outside!!!

Oh Yeah...Almost forgot to mention...SPEED!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/3208551

Last edited:

Purple Liquid

Shop: Efinger
Shop Keep
Speed, Speed, and more speed.

http://www.vimeo.com/2299596

-Riding and actually going somewhere.
-The challenge of the climb and the thrill of the descent.
-Riding within inches of the guy in front of you trusting that he is your eyes.
-Drafting vehicles
-Throwing the bike into a corner and stickin the turn.
-The Woosh, Woosh, Woosh you here when you stand up and sprint.
-The look on my co-workers face when I tell them I rode further to work than they drove...and it's raining outside!!!

On the first video, that was a really cool angle to put your camera at. How far back was the camera? A few inches from the seatpost?

BiknBen

On the first video, that was a really cool angle to put your camera at. How far back was the camera? A few inches from the seatpost?

It was mounted on the top tube just in front of the seat post.

The other video is processing now. It's even faster. The cam was mounted to the down tube near the bottle cage for that video.

Cyclopath

Shop Owner / Employee
Shop Keep
1. When it's dark and 17 degrees at 7:25 am and the wind chill factor is 7 degrees and you swear at yourself and ask what kind of fools would get out of a warm bed for this and three guys roll in all with the same question in their mind, the same look on their faces and the same smile in their eyes... you know you're going to spend the next few hours of pain and laughter with the best friends you'll ever have.

2. Getting a chance to pull on a wicked fast paceline of 20 guys and holding onto it long enough to make it real.

3. Being challenged on the downhill:D
They'll never catch me!!! Muwahahhahaa!!

4. Watching the seasons and getting the opportunity to see it happening in all kinds of places and really feeling a part of it all.

5. Getting off the bike to scoot a turtle out of the road before a car crushes it.

6. Bunny hopping the RR tracks.

7. And about a billion other things that keep me going back for more.

THATmanMANNY

The high speed turns, trying to own the road, and the take you anywhere you want to go factor. Oh and a way to get back your car after a long night out where ever you left it :D

Is that the illusion of the spokes flexing or does it actually do that :confused: Pretty darn cool. I think your wheel is out of true tho ;)

Simplicity. Getting to the trail can be time consuming and if you only have 3 or 4 hours to get in a ride, you don't spend a lot of that on the MTB when you have to drive back and forth from the trailhead.

I echo all the sentiments posted here already. I love the speed, the chance to ride without thinking about technical sections, falling, or getting beat up by rocks. I relish the look of surprise on people's faces when I tell them "I rode my bike here." And I love leaving traffic behind, and even the chance to let my Inner Snark come out when some driver engages in ass-hattery.

RacerChick

Hudson Valley Girl
Riding on the road ...

The only reason I ride on the road is to try and get the roadie butt holes to say hi to me! :D

R to the C

pinkshirtphotos

I like the quiet the woods never can give. Passing traffic at a light. Saying yes I rode my bike and it only took 10 minutes longer then you driving. It's an excuse to shave my legs.

Top Bottom