What kind of snake?

ChrisRU

Capers is our resident herpetologist, he should know. I think that is a relatively common, non venomous snake though.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Nope, not a black racer. Thats a black rat snake. To the untrained eye, they may seem identical. The keeled scales, narrow head and facial markings near the mouth are the give away in this photo. Racers have smooth scales and no facial markings. Also, A racer will never let you get that close. They flee like lighting. Rat snakes are very slow on the ground and usually stay put when you come upon them.

capedoc

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Found some pictures I took a bunch of years back of Racers and Rat Snakes

This is a black racer
racer_4_web.jpg

This is a 7 foot long Black rat snake. The Checkered one is a juvenile. They are born with that pattern and turn black as they get older.

ratsnake_web.jpg

VelocityBoy

"Sleeveless Joe"
That's a black rat snake, Manny...the Jungle is teeming with them and they love the warmth of the asphalt.

MannyL358

Very cool... first time I've encountered one. The first thing that came to mind was Black Mamba. :scared:

D'Oh

Are you telling me these gaint things are out there were we ride!!!!!! I need a machete mount on my bike...

Arwen's Mom

Mother of Dragons, Breaker of Chains
Are you telling me these gaint things are out there were we ride!!!!!! I need a machete mount on my bike...

WHY!!!???

Big guy like you scared of a little snake? Dont you dare hurt a snake while I am around:getsome:

rick81721

Lothar
WHY!!!???

Big guy like you scared of a little snake? Dont you dare hurt a snake while I am around:getsome:

Yep snakes keep populations of rats and other nasties down. Should never kill one - even poisonous species. Just let 'em be. I've seen copperheads on trails - beautiful snakes but they won't bother you unless you step on one or try to pick it up.

The Kalmyk

I've pinned down Timbers with long sticks... If your from the southern part of the state you might call them Pine Rattlers... My old man claimed sighting of copperhead back in the day, not too sure bout that... The snake I would LOVE to find in the wilds of NJ is the Queen snakes

Last edited:

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Saw this chap today
IMG_6502.JPG

Little over 4' or so, gonna call Western Rat Snake. Good looking specimen.

Walking the pup, and he just hopped right over him- he was stretched fully across the trail. So pup is on the leash, with this snake is between us. When I stop, he comes back to me. Fortunately he's little, so I just raised up on the leash and airmailed him over the snake. While not poisonous, no one needs to get bit.

jmanic

JORBA Board Member/Chapter Leader
Staff member
JORBA.ORG
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@jmanic
Almost looks like an Eastern Indigo.
But probably a black rat snake
Wait- Isn't that what the cool kids smoke? ;)

Yeah, I'm thinking rat- it doesn't come through in this pic, but he definitely had a light colored underbelly.

Trail Conditions

Current Conditions