What Kind of Grease?

THATmanMANNY

grease for what use? threads on bolts? on parts to reduce friction?

I use two kinds 1) park tools polylube for parts and 2) pedro's silicone for threads and bolts and small things.

soundz

The Hat
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I was thinking parts like bearings & pivots but I guess the question can apply to anything (except body parts).

Jimmy

betta285

I was using lightning lube this fall and still have a bit to finish up, but man, in the cold it gets so thick. I was having so many problem with my chain and shifting yesterday just because it was so stiff. Gotta find something less viscous to use in these temps. Any suggestions?

Jim

J-Dro

How do you apply that to your chain?

I pour the synthetic motor oil into an old chain lube bottle that I have from back before I became enlightened.;) So I apply it just like any other lube. I love watching that golden liquid work its way into every chain link...:rolleyes:

One $5 quart will last you years.

betta285

Yeah. I never even thought of using motor oil. You think synthetic would have any advantages over fossil juice in this situation? Can it be used on other parts of the bike? I have just about every grade in conventional and synthetic in the garage so i guess I'll do some experimenting.

Jim

BiknBen

I pour the synthetic motor oil into an old chain lube bottle that I have from back before I became enlightened.;) So I apply it just like any other lube.

ArmyOfNone said:
That sure sounds like something worth trying.

Motor oil is great for riders in Siberia who do not have access to a bike shop. :rolleyes: Motor oil will remain perpetually wet. Every spec of dust, sand, dirt sticks to it like glue. Your drive-train will be black and nasty very quickly.

Sure, you could religiously clean it to keep crap from building up. Or you could buy lube that is intended for bicycles. :eek:

J-Dro

Sure, you could religiously clean it to keep crap from building up. Or you could buy lube that is intended for bicycles. :eek:

The dirty little secret is that most chain lube is, in fact, low viscosity synthetic oil.

J-Dro

Ben makes a good point that synth oil will stay wet. So after the oil penetrates into the chain cracks and crevices, I wipe off any excess to keep it from attracting crud.

Also, my lube choice depends on the conditions. When its dry and dusty, wet lubes can be a bad choice for their tendency to be a dirt magnet. I use Rock N Roll gold lube for those days since it evaporates and just leaves the slippery lube. I used to use Pedro's dry lube but I find that it leaves the drivetrain gunked up with lube residue.

Lubes are like tires. Good luck getting people to agree on what is the best choice.

BiknBen

The dirty little secret is that most chain lube is, in fact, low viscosity synthetic oil.

The viscosity of chain lube is significantly lower than motor oil. They are not interchangeable. Would you use chain lube in your car engine if it were cheaper than motor oil? :rolleyes:

I'm not saying you are wrong in using motor oil on your chain. I'm saying it is not right to suggest that it is better than bike specific chain lube. When I noticed others replying that they intend to try it, I decided to step in.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
I think you could get away with using the motor oil in the wet/damp/cold conditions of winter but in the dry summer, it would seem like a huge dust magnet.

J-Dro

The viscosity of chain lube is significantly lower than motor oil. They are not interchangeable. Would you use chain lube in your car engine if it were cheaper than motor oil? :rolleyes:

Bicycle chain lubes come in various viscosity. Finish Line 'Cross Country' chain lube has significantly higher viscosity then Mobil 1 5W-20. Pedro's Syn Lube is almost identical to 5W-20.

I'm not promoting using 99 cent 10W-40. But if you try the lowest possible viscosity synthetic that you can find, and wipe off the excess, I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

J-7

As you can tell from all the responses, it doesn't really matter what you use. For once you can go to the store and buy the one with the prettiest bottle or whatever other personal preference you decide on. For example, I fly airplanes so I use the Boeing Boeshield stuff. Is it the best, probably not, but it works. Lube is only a couple of bucks anyways. What have you got to lose? Have fun with this one.

Top Bottom