What kind of bee is this?

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
These bees have nested in the mullion of my bay window. I have largely left them alone because I thought they were good bees. I had initially sprayed when I first saw them but they kept coming back. Now they are back in numbers snd I am not sure they are good bees.

Obviously this needs be caulked but I need to get rid of them first so they don’t look for ways inside. I have only found 1 or 2 in the window on the inside.

Help me identify them so I know if I can load the area up with chemicals.8A6AED9A-483F-4B35-B2C9-21DCA6C67ABB.jpeg

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
yellowjackethornet2.jpg

JonFern

Formerly: send jon ferns
Looks like yellowjacket or wasp - spread some Sevin dust (can get it at Home Depot in the garden supplies area) around the entrance at night and it should take care of them. It is an insecticide that they will track into the nest and kill it.

Had a similar issue last year, they took up residence underground in my mulch bed. Treated the entrance two nights in a row, dump it and run, and it took care of the issue.

Last edited:

mattybfat

The Opinion Police
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Damn all you killers
Looks like hornets and if you prefer to have latternflies over hornets then by all means destroy the natural predators.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
Damn all you killers
Looks like hornets and if you prefer to have latternflies over hornets then by all means destroy the natural predators.
well idk how you explain nesh trails then. Lantern file infestation and at least two of the NICA kids get stung every time we ride there.

Anyways, I hear you.

serviceguy

These bees have nested in the mullion of my bay window. I have largely left them alone because I thought they were good bees. I had initially sprayed when I first saw them but they kept coming back. Now they are back in numbers snd I am not sure they are good bees.

Obviously this needs be caulked but I need to get rid of them first so they don’t look for ways inside. I have only found 1 or 2 in the window on the inside.

Help me identify them so I know if I can load the area up with chemicals.View attachment 167353
Not bees as mentioned several times before. Looks like they're nesting in there, I would get rid of the hive before sealing anything, who knows how long they been at it. A giant hive popped out on one of my trees just out of nowhere, they can be sneaky like that.

Last edited:

one piece crank

Year-to-year, they do not resuse nests though, and will be dead by late October. I've got the same situation outside on of your 2nd floor bedroom windows. I checked the attic/soffet area, but no bugs, so I'll have to investigate from their outside entry/exit point.

rosceaux

These are not good bees. I saw a couple in my garage closet last year and pulled it out to reveal a YUGE hive/nest. Once I sprayed the hell out of it, there were hundreds of yellow jacket corpses to sweep up. Hundreds. It would be bad if they could sustain themselves inside a wall. Plenty of YouTube videos, don’t watch before bedtime

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad
These are not good bees. I saw a couple in my garage closet last year and pulled it out to reveal a YUGE hive/nest. Once I sprayed the hell out of it, there were hundreds of yellow jacket corpses to sweep up. Hundreds. It would be bad if they could sustain themselves inside a wall. Plenty of YouTube videos, don’t watch before bedtime
Yeah, I had the in-the-wall ones that lived through the winter at my old house. Middle of January and you have yellow jackets in the living space.

w_b

No good bees will build a nest in your walls. Even if they do, that means they crossed the line.

Unless you secretly want an organic honey business, and to rip into your walls for it. Which no sane person would, ever.

Top Bottom