What is censorship? Trump is a clown but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Taylor

Rex kwan Do
Personally I quit listening to the general media about nine months to one year ago. I am on the way to work and I am listening to Bloomberg radio which is the only news station that I listen to. They mention that Twitter has permanently blocked Donald Trump’s account and that Twitter stock is now down 7% in premarket. To me this is fine and all it’s a private company I guess do what they do and block Donald Trump, whatever, It doesn’t really matter to me. The crazy part is that they said the reason Twitter was down was because users were switching over to parlor which is another social media app. I actually briefly downloaded that app a few months back and quickly deleted it as it was not for me. Well what really surprised me was the next thing that Bloomberg radio said, Apple and Google removed the parlor app from their app stores. Wow! This to me is the shadow government that they talk about, Apple and Google on the government. Not just Apple and Google but corporate America in general. What are your thoughts?

I think Apple & Google are private businesses and can do what they want.

I also think there is a 100% chance this thread gets locked in 6 hours or less.
So we can’t talk about stuff in off topic? Why are some things allowed in others not? This post is a legitimate question. Apple and google are not private businesses. The government also purchased large amounts of corporate bonds from them with the initial stimulus if you remember.

Reactions: don
So we can’t talk about stuff in off topic? Why are some things allowed in others not? This post is a legitimate question. Apple and google are not private businesses. The government also purchased large amounts of corporate bonds from them with the initial stimulus if you remember.

You absolutely can talk off-topic. I just see where this thread likely ends up - the same as the America thread from last week. As soon as this devolves into a similar discussion I will lock it. If people act courteous then I won't.

Trust nothing you hear, question everything, then form your own opinion and keep it to yourself because none of it effects our lives enough to change anything.

Thoughts:
  1. Social media, on anything larger than the scale of, say, this forum is damaging to society.
  2. Mr. Trump attempted, and is attempting, to stage a coup. Silencing him is legitimate. Once he's out, charging him for his crimes is appropriate.
  3. Corporations are multinational and are in fact managing to supplant government in a lot of dimensions.
  4. Both major political parties are largely sold out to corporations.
  5. ...

Welcome to 1984 (the book).
They may be private companies but you could argue they are discriminating against certain groups which would not be tolerated in other businesses.
It technically is not government censorship but it accomplishes the same thing. Maybe they need to be regulated like a TV station or a utility.

Apple and Google removed the parlor app from their app stores. Wow! This to me is the shadow government that they talk about, Apple and Google on the government. Not just Apple and Google but corporate America in general. What are your thoughts?

Apple and Google are saying they temporarily removed the app because it was used to help coordinate the attack on the Capitol, there was talk of it being used to coordinate another attack, and because Parler doesn't moderate it's service the way other social media companies do. They said they will restore it once Parler addresses this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom