What is a typical charge for a shop to lace up a new wheel?

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
The truing usually isn't the part you need to worry about. If the spokes aren't prepped correctly it will be really difficult to get good tension. The prep needs to be wet for it to work. Once it dries out the nipples are hard to rotate. Especially because new wheel builders will usually use the multi colored Wheelsmith Prep and that stuff sucks.

What do you use for spoke prep?

I've been using marine grease because that's what I have and never had a nipple seize on my spokes. And I always use aluminum nipples.

I do make sure the threads are well coated along with the part of the nipple that will spin against the rim to minimize resistance when building & truing. Takes more time but my labor is free.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.

I've been using marine grease because that's what I have and never had a nipple seize on my spokes. And I always use aluminum nipples.

I do make sure the threads are well coated along with the part of the nipple that will spin against the rim to minimize resistance when building & truing. Takes more time but my labor is free.

Well, grease will definitely not seize. I can't give away all of my secrets, but I don't use grease. Or anything advertised as Spoke Prep.

stb222

Love Drunk
Jerk Squad

He posted what he uses somewhere this year, maybe IG.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Linseed oil
giphy.gif

serviceguy

That's okay, most folks would rather pay big bucks for the super special sauce than use what really works anyways.

I've used Spoke Prep on my last 3 sets (out of 5 total in my lifetime, for full disclosure) just because the internet spoke to me and told me to. Given the amount that goes in a wheel set I wouldn't call it big bucks, but I can see that if you were doing this professional it may add up. If the premium price doesn't come with a premium performance, the more so.

Top Bottom