What helmet do you ride?

Pearl

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING
I've been bad, and I haven't been riding with a helmet. I've been in the market for one and I am just curious what other riders are wearing.

I mostly ride wooded and rocky trails. I never really push myself but I know I should wear a helmet.

anrothar

entirely thrilled
the biggest differences between cheap helmets and expensive ones, are fit, ventilation and weight. safety is pretty much the same all the way up, as long as you are using a reputable helmet manufacturer, like bell, gyro, etc.

you'll have to try a few on to find what will work right for you. people have different shaped heads, and sometimes only one specific brand will fit a person. stop by your lbs and see what they have. there is nothing wrong with the base model $35 helmets there.

but, yeah, you definitely should be wearing one out on the trails.

ytc100

I've been bad, and I haven't been riding with a helmet. I've been in the market for one and I am just curious what other riders are wearing.

I mostly ride wooded and rocky trails. I never really push myself but I know I should wear a helmet.

You are very very bad.

Please please go to your nearest bike shop and immediately buy a helmet. One that feels good on your head and fits right. Hopefully you will have a knowledgeable sales person make sure it fits correctly.

Why we wear helmets:
http://www.mtbnj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2358&highlight=wear+helmets

For what it's worth I've owned Giro and Bell helmets. Most important factor is fit.

ArmyOfNone

before you worry about buying street tires, deraillers or whatever else your shopping for...please...buy a damn helmet!

Shaggz

A strong 7
i like bell helmets, they seem to fit me better than the gyro. to echo what the others have said, get what fits you best. head over to halter's (get it, head over... - :rofl:) and have one of the guys fit you up.

ArmyOfNone

Well said AoN.

I just cringe thinking of what could have happened to me w/o a helmet. I might be bouncing around the playground w/ a helmet on my head like mike myers on snl.

But i will say no more...

walt, When did you gradimicate from norms school 'o science?

walter

Fourth Party
I just cringe thinking of what could have happened to me w/o a helmet. I might be bouncing around the playground w/ a helmet on my head like mike myers on snl.

But i will say no more...

walt, When did you gradimicate from norms school 'o science?

The other night I put up a post that the new Gary Fisher website was up, with a whole slew of 29ers, but I didn't add the link because, well, I didn't know how. norm jumped on me about it, asked me what server I was using, and then instructed me on how to do the link thing. So thats the scoop.

I think if pearl is going to be doing any sort of urban riding, the helmet should be the first matter of business. Nothing ruins an emt's day like hosing some kids brains off of the concrete.

Mk1Racer

I'll echo what shaggz (and just about everyone else) has said. Please go buy a helmet before your next ride. If you're in North Brunswick, you're about 10 min. from Halter's. Go down their and see Jason or one of the gang and have them fit you up w/ a helmet.

I prefer Bell helmets (for car, bike, and bicycle). They've actually saved my grape a couple of times.

Spylab

I am so identifiable out on the XC trails - probably the only guy almost always riding a full face helmet (a black 661, which I love by the way).

When I first got back into riding, I thought helmets were useful at places like Diablo only (which was way out of my league at the time). I was riding some dirt bike trails in the woods of Hopatcong and rolled a flat rock which flipped from under me and sent me face first into a rock garden. How I didn't break my jaw or teeth is still so far beyond me, but I have a scar on my chin to this day. It shook me up so bad, that unless I am riding VERY familiar territory or am on the road, I always ride with the 661.

Crazy perhaps, but I think of what could have happened and know that a regular XC helmet wouldn't have done a thing to help me...

pinkshirtphotos

i am a fan of fox, i have a gyro for the time being but i hate the strap design. i have only really gotten nice fullface helmets, but i am more concerned about coverage of my head vs weight.

Pearl, its been a long time since I have shopped at Ski Barn for bike stuff, but they should have a decent selection of helmets. If you cannot find anything there to fit you, follow the advice of everyone on this thread and get thee to Halter's quickly.

I have a big melon, lots of hair, and I sweat profusely, so I needed a light helmet with a ratchet adjustment and plenty of ventilation. I have a Bell X-Ray and a Bell Phi. The X-Ray is my "trail" helmet - it features a removeable visor (as nearly all MTB helmets do) which I seldom wear, it screws with my vision. I interchange them for riding whenever one is too wet from the day before.

I have had much luck with Bell's customer service as well. They sent me 3 sets of replacement pads, Free, for the inside of my X-Ray after I asked a simple question about how I could buy new ones.

Helmets do not really wear out, but if you crash in one and hit your head, replace it immediately, no questions asked. You cannot tell what kind of microscopic damage you may have done to the interior of the helmet, and you do not want to take chances when it comes to the ole grape. A minor crash here and there could leave you vulnerable to serious brain-case damage should your helmet be structurally compromised.

SpartaBard

I have a big melon, lots of hair, and I sweat profusely, so I needed a light helmet with a ratchet adjustment and plenty of ventilation.

I thought girls perspire? w/e

Even riding on local roads you should have the helmet. When I was a kid my brake stopped working for one reason or another and I was heading down a hill and ended up impacting with a curb. Luckily, I hit my chin and bounced. No major damage other than a big gash on the chin requiring stitches, but what kid doesn't have stitches on their chin?

edit: by the way, no cookies for me either. I worked real hard to get that fire going Sat. night.

ArmyOfNone

I have failed my people...i am forever in your debt. Well i can always get more cookies. Sorry to those who i missed!

Shaggz

A strong 7
brad - you do not deserve cookies and your firemaking skills are marginal at best;
jigger - great point about replacing after a crash. it has something to do with the way styrofoam material deforms after an impact. i believe that both bell and gyro will replace your helmet after a crash for around $25;
mike - your old avatar, the face closeup of you all bugeyed in the fullface is one of my all time favorites

Norm

Mayor McCheese
Team MTBNJ Halter's
The cookies sat on our picnic table all weekend. You ate my Pringles, but not the fresh homemade cookies? Damn chipmunks got to them overnight.

Currently wear a Giro (E-2 or something?) myself.

Top Bottom