What have you done to your car today?

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Plugged my wife's tire from a slow leak caused by this screw fragment.

View attachment 235781
on this topic.....I have had people tell me they wont use plugs because they fall out.....So as a kid, one of my first jobs in my dad's gas station/shop was plugging tires....I can't even tell you how many I have done....customer cars and my cars....I have never seen one fall out or leak in the 35+ years I have been installing them.....Is this actually a thing? Or have I just been lucky?

w_b

I plug’em whenever indicated. Lasts just fine. Granted I’m not drifting it around on purpose. Go buy a new tire or patch if you want, not me.

serviceguy

on this topic.....I have had people tell me they wont use plugs because they fall out.....So as a kid, one of my first jobs in my dad's gas station/shop was plugging tires....I can't even tell you how many I have done....customer cars and my cars....I have never seen one fall out or leak in the 35+ years I have been installing them.....Is this actually a thing? Or have I just been lucky?
I would say maybe if they're installed wrong?

1speeder

I've never had a plug fall out or need to be replugged either.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's

youv been lucky EVERY SINGLE ONE of those damn plugs i have ever used has leaked (not sure about falling out, but definitely leaked) last time i had a puncture it was ~$20 to have it patched internally. not worth the worry IMO. I will note the leak doesnt show up immediately, its after tire was worn down a bit and i believe it is caused by the fact the plug is a different durometer than the tire so wears differently (i suspect slower) and then gets pushed around as you drive on it and it breaks the seal between the plug and the tire.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

Always thought that plug/patch thing would be the ultimate way to go.
But that requires a tire machine.

When I worked in the station, i'd plug them right on the car - in/out in 5 minutes.
$10 - people were ecstatic.

I did a horse trailer once - the horse was watching me.
Talk about pressure ;)

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@Patrick +1 on the plate frame. +2 for the screw caps

@UtahJoe You washed the Stang or ONR? Curious.

I tried a plug on the 4R and it slowly leaked. Like 5psi a day. Tried again with same result. Ended up replacing the tire.

Last edited:

UtahJoe

Team Workhorse
Team MTBNJ Halter's
@UtahJoe You washed the Stang or ONR? Curious.
I always use the ONR with the mustang, I think it works so well for cleaning a dusty, but not really "dirty" car....Plus the mustang is not exactly the most watertight vehicle, so I dont love blasting the hose on it, soap, etc. Usually I just give it a quick rise with the hose, then put it back in the garage so I can wash it out of the sunlight....yesterday it was pretty cool, so I did it outside.

Carson

Sport Bacon
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I always use the ONR with the mustang, I think it works so well for cleaning a dusty, but not really "dirty" car....Plus the mustang is not exactly the most watertight vehicle, so I dont love blasting the hose on it, soap, etc. Usually I just give it a quick rise with the hose, then put it back in the garage so I can wash it out of the sunlight....yesterday it was pretty cool, so I did it outside.

I've washed the 911 with soap once. ONR for the win.

20240408_115902.jpg

Last edited:

ekuhn

youv been lucky EVERY SINGLE ONE of those damn plugs i have ever used has leaked (not sure about falling out, but definitely leaked) last time i had a puncture it was ~$20 to have it patched internally. not worth the worry IMO. I will note the leak doesnt show up immediately, its after tire was worn down a bit and i believe it is caused by the fact the plug is a different durometer than the tire so wears differently (i suspect slower) and then gets pushed around as you drive on it and it breaks the seal between the plug and the tire.
I actually just had this happen. 2 days in a row I lost 10psi over night. Soaped the tire when I got home Friday saw that it was leaking from the plug. I went to try and pull the plug out (before just pushing it in) from the bit of the tail that was hanging out, to replace it, but in the process it sealed up again. No bubbles. Held all weekend while I was away and so far so good traveling on the Turnpike.

If I remember correctly, Mavis would patch the tire since it was within 2" from the edge of tire, so I just plugged it and its lasted almost a year.

Always thought that plug/patch thing would be the ultimate way to go.
But that requires a tire machine.

When I worked in the station, i'd plug them right on the car - in/out in 5 minutes.
$10 - people were ecstatic.

I did a horse trailer once - the horse was watching me.
Talk about pressure ;)

People do get impressed if you can do it while on the vehicle.

Top Bottom