What have you done to your car today?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I know you are out there cleaning, tuning, maintaining, pimpin' !

Whatcha do today?

My son may have been playing the music a bit too loud, and one of his door speakers started buzzing.

I like how the factory speakers are molded into housings that are model specific.
The replacement mount was about an inch shorter - so the door panel doesn't seal to the speaker front now.
May or may not do something about that.

The Old:

1639840508114.png

I'm starting to collect the audio upgrade for the 986.
The climate controls get relocated. Gotta love German engineering where they made each bay in radio stack have the same mounts.
Someone must have worked in the aerospace industry. Then a double din radio goes in where there was a tray and the old climate controls
using an inexpensive, model specific bezel. New radio with carplay/android auto. Video-in allows for phone mirroring, apple tv, or casting (std def).
This will add USB ports also! B/U camera, front and door speakers, new amp, and plenty of gizmos/adapters to make it all work.

This is more on the economical side of radio upgrades, cause there will always be wind noise!

1639840827521.png

Patrick

Staff member
If you need an audio upgrade on a Porsche, it just means you don't have a loud enough exhaust 😉

It is so I can play exhaust sounds. :D
"Police reported ahead" is just a bonus.

don

Finally got new 2.5" exhaust matched up to what was existing. Downpipe was modified from the Cummins R2.8 unit to fit into 2.5" piping. Then a piece of flex.

The 200tdi Rover engine had LH side exhaust drop, R2.8 is RH side so a cross over pipe was needed.

Pic of the mostly installed R2.8 at the end.

IMG_4498.jpg

IMG_4491.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4485.jpg
    IMG_4485.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4492.jpg
    IMG_4492.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4500.jpg
    IMG_4500.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 25

ebarker9

I replaced the coolant shut off valve in my 2017 Golf R. Car had been taking 15-20 minutes for the heat to come on in recent weeks. After that, all was normal. Also, the oil temperature was normal. Running the VCDS tool didn't seem to reveal much. After googling there were many people reporting similar issues, many who went through the ordeal of having the heater core replaced for lots of money, which tended not to solve the problem.

Anyway, most likely culprit seemed to be the coolant shut off valve which had the added bonus of being "relatively" inexpensive and "relatively" easy to replace. Couple of hours and a fair bit of lost hand skin later and all seems to be well. Definitely one of those jobs that's not hard but next to impossible to get your hand or the correct tool in the right place. Would have really sucked if not for owning some ratcheting hose clamp pliers which were purchased for a prior job.

PXL_20220106_234002317.jpg

Patrick

Staff member
Got an OnStar alert that the front tire in the p/u was low.
Head on out, and the front right directional is blinking.
Great, my brand new tire picked-up a nail.

1643407189023.png

It was at a weird angle, and even after reaming the hole, had a hard time getting the plug to push in -
so i hit the tool with a hammer.

taken with ipotato

1643407257060.png

Handy ryobi inflator with a zip tie getting the job done.

one piece crank

Waiting for Honda to reply regarding torque converter dying at 83k miles. Looks like I may soon be shopping in the worst possible market...

• Sad
Reactions: don

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's
min oil light came in this morning. Go to pop the hood to add a qt and the freakin latch is seized up. Tried to force the release lever too hard and the housing for the release cable broke loose. Now the lever just pulls the entire loose housing instead of the internal cable itself. Awesome.

After removing a bunch of panels and disassembling the lever mech I finally reached the cable and fought it with some vice grips. Took every bit of strength I had pulling that cable to get the latch to finally pop. I’m surprised it didn’t snap.

Looks like vice grips will serve as hood release for now. Pretty sure the alternative was going to be a trip to the dealership and thousands of dollars to remove the entire front of the car to access the latch itself…

54365B7A-6C91-4424-87DF-DCFB783782B8.jpeg88BB6441-E8A7-4520-B90B-5A99E378868B.jpegA68D9B5F-0333-472C-8163-9CEC6E641A5A.jpeg

I was just trying to get to the trails before the rain (which started pouring while I’m hanging out of the drivers door crammed up under the dash)…. 😩

Top Bottom