Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
Laced up some new wheels.

View attachment 88096
Carbon....
homer-simpson-drooling.jpg

Matt_

I Get Jokes
Almost finished the craigslist rebuild for my daughter. According to my very ucalibrated bathroom scale, I shaved off over 5 lbs. However 2 of that may be attributable to the kickstand and deraileur guard alone!

Hit a few snags. Reused the existing fork which was the plan, but I didnt expect it to be as heavy as it is. It must just be hiten steel. I have a suitable rigid aluminum fork from a street trials bike that would work, but have to source a disc wheel to use it A disc front wheel would also allow me to hunt for a suitable 26er air fork to modify for it also.

X4 derailleur isn’t playing nice with the 40t cog. Supposedly a wolftooth streetlink will correct that, so I’ll be giving that a shot. If it doesnt work, I’ll just go with a standard cassette.

Overall pretty fun project. My daughter really loved learning how to clean and repack a hub (heavy sarcasm). Cant wait to get her out on it when the trails dry out. Hoping to eventually do some rides with the jr group.

View attachment 88000

Have a 24" wheel from my sons superfly 24 disc that's both rim and disc compatible (centerlock). I built him a better wheelset with stans mk3's and built a spare 24" bike for his friends to use from a MT220 frameset.... that's a rim brake bike.

Will trade wheel for wheel if you promise to do a ride when I bring my daughter out :)

Mr.Moto

Fancy. What rims are those? That set looks $$$. I would not be able to cope with mismatched hubs though.

Santa Cruz Reserve 37. I'm on a budget too hence the DT front hub. Couldn't find a matchy one within my budget. Got everything else at very good deals. Rims were new take offs, rear hub was used. I can't see the rear hub when I'm riding anyway, but I will hear it, and so will @Miracle Max Saved Norm's Ride Today ;)

Mr.Moto

Do you know if SC extends the lifetime warranty for self built wheels?

I believe they do if you buy from a SC dealer. There is place on their website to register your rims, but you need the dealer info and stuff.

I do not have that luxury since these are second hand tear downs.

pkovo

Have a 24" wheel from my sons superfly 24 disc that's both rim and disc compatible (centerlock). I built him a better wheelset with stans mk3's and built a spare 24" bike for his friends to use from a MT220 frameset.... that's a rim brake bike.

Will trade wheel for wheel if you promise to do a ride when I bring my daughter out :)

Wow, thats incredibly generous of you, thanks! I’ll keep it in mind if all else fails, but I would feeel pretty bad taking you up on it because I would essentially just be downgrading your bike.

Much to my surprise the LBS can order up several different 24” disc qr wheels priced from $45-80 which I didnt think was bad at all, so I think I’m set.

We will do a ride regardless. I showed my daughter the group site...pics and vids and she seemed pretty excited.

Learning to mountain bike and racing at least two bmx races are part of her 2019 new year’s “revolutions” as she puts it.

serviceguy

Laced a new set of wheels, my first 29"s. I don't have the correct size tape for the tubeless setup yet (waiting for it in the mail), so I used a round of masking tape to cover the holes so that I could mount the tires on with tubes in order to fully seat them (It's a thing, I saw it done on the internet so it must be true).

This the setup:

front: Hope Pro 4 15x110 32H hub, 6 bolt rotor
rear: Hope Pro 4 12x157 32H hub, 6 bolt rotor, for Shimano 9,10 and 11 speed cassette
DT-Swiss Competition Double Butted spokes
DT-Swiss Squorx black aluminum nipples
Sun-Ringle MTX33
Maxxis DHF 3x/exo/tr 29x2.3 and Maxxis DHR II 3x/exo/tr 29x2.3

Very happy with the result, can't wait for the frame to be here so that I can rock these babies on the trails!

qclabrat

Laced a new set of wheels, my first 29"s. I don't have the correct size tape for the tubeless setup yet (waiting for it in the mail), so I used a round of masking tape to cover the holes so that I could mount the tires on with tubes in order to fully seat them (It's a thing, I saw it done on the internet so it must be true).

This the setup:

front: Hope Pro 4 15x110 32H hub, 6 bolt rotor
rear: Hope Pro 4 12x157 32H hub, 6 bolt rotor, for Shimano 9,10 and 11 speed cassette
DT-Swiss Competition Double Butted spokes
DT-Swiss Squorx black aluminum nipples
Sun-Ringle MTX33
Maxxis DHF 3x/exo/tr 29x2.3 and Maxxis DHR II 3x/exo/tr 29x2.3

Very happy with the result, can't wait for the frame to be here so that I can rock these babies on the trails!
pics please, bling orange hubs?

serviceguy

pics please, bling orange hubs?

No, bling black hubs. No pics yet, will take once the tape arrives and I can finish them.

Orange bling on the headset only for now, not sure about the crank yet as my original plan to flip the 30T RaceFace chainring has gone down the toilet due to unexpected mechanical interference...probably going with a XT crank but that means I've a bunch of RaceFace 104 BCD chainring I may have to unload...so many decisions to be made! My head may explode before the frame actually arrives!

qclabrat

No, bling black hubs. No pics yet, will take once the tape arrives and I can finish them.

Orange bling on the headset only for now, not sure about the crank yet as my original plan to flip the 30T RaceFace chainring has gone down the toilet due to unexpected mechanical interference...probably going with a XT crank but that means I've a bunch of RaceFace 104 BCD chainring I may have to unload...so many decisions to be made! My head may explode before the frame actually arrives!
actually good to have the time to think and work through the challenges
I'm usually in a rush to finish the build and end up buy tons of wrong parts and such. No wonder my parts bins are overflowing

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's

Find an older XT crank that's 104BCD. Problem solved. M770 cranks if I recall correctly? If you want I can see what model mine are...

serviceguy

Just run it on the outside (big ring side) instead of the inside. Close enough if you're typically using the larger gears in the back anway?...

That was the original plan with the Race Face crank. The problem 'should' be only with the 30T chainring because it has 4 built in spacers at each bolt hole to clear the chain from touching the crank arms. I need to check with the 32T which should be fine as it is flat. In light of the fact that I finally decided to go with a 1x11 speed driveline modified with a 49T granny, I think I should be able to pull it off using the 32T instead of the 30T (I am still very slow and weak). With a 11 speed cassette the pitch is so narrow that chainline becomes more of a factor in noise/wear/performance of the driveline, hence the concern.

Santapez

Team MTBNJ Halter's
That was the original plan with the Race Face crank. The problem 'should' be only with the 30T chainring because it has 4 built in spacers at each bolt hole to clear the chain from touching the crank arms. I need to check with the 32T which should be fine as it is flat. In light of the fact that I finally decided to go with a 1x11 speed driveline modified with a 49T granny, I think I should be able to pull it off using the 32T instead of the 30T (I am still very slow and weak). With a 11 speed cassette the pitch is so narrow that chainline becomes more of a factor in noise/wear/performance of the driveline, hence the concern.

Stop relying on the 49T and you'll become faster. :)

Top Bottom