What have you done to your bike today?

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
website says it's only for 10speed, Even maxing out the B screw, I'm not sure the cage can clear the largest cogs with an extension like the goatlink

Sure it will! the goat link and b screw are so messed up on the fatbike that i can't get the wheel off with air in the tire!
But it shifts great! besides, it is all experimental, just sell it if it doesn't work.

BPaze

I talked to one of my bikes tonight and it wants more speeds.
We're thinking a XT 11speed upgrade. Know that Shimano maxs at 46T, and see Sunrace makes a 50T cassette. So was curious whether I could used a 10speed Goatlink to make the cage clear the 50T cassette? I believe some have been able to make a regular derailleur work but have also read the shifting on the low end could be a bit sloppy.
View attachment 85691
@Paul H is actually right you can keep the 11 speed shifter get the NX Eagle derailleur and it will work with the 50t ring. I actually was going to do that on my bike until I decided to just go Eagle hooray year end bonus.

qclabrat

You can continue to hammer the nail with a herring, but I wouldn’t recommend it.

Buy the damn eagle and be done with it. GX shifter and RD and the NX boat anchor, er cassette.

That is all.
Are the 11spd sunrace compatible with SRAM?

@Paul H is actually right you can keep the 11 speed shifter get the NX Eagle derailleur and it will work with the 50t ring. I actually was going to do that on my bike until I decided to just go Eagle hooray year end bonus.
So if I get an 11spd SRAM shifter and the GX eagle derailleur it will work? I know it works for a 10 spd shifter with 11spd derailleur and cassette cause you remove the spacer. But I'm surprised 11 to 12 are also compatible, seems the spacing won't work.

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor

So if I get an 11spd SRAM shifter and the GX eagle derailleur it will work? I know it works for a 10 spd shifter with 11spd derailleur and cassette cause you remove the spacer. But I'm surprised 11 to 12 are also compatible, seems the spacing won't work.

What? My head hurts. The number is 12. Not 10 not 11.... 12. If you want your bike to shift well, use the correct components. If you want an endless cycle of tweak, curse and spend good money after bad, by all means stay on your current path.

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
What? My head hurts. The number is 12. Not 10 not 11.... 12. If you want your bike to shift well, use the correct components. If you want an endless cycle of tweak, curse and spend good money after bad, by all means stay on your current path.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

serviceguy

I bele
OneUp components makes the RAD cage, which provides more wrap in the smaller cogs when the dinner plate is attached in the back.

i quoted the wrong post, too lazy to fix.

black, always black.

I believe the OneUp Rad cage only works with x10 derailleur according to the specs. I have a rd-m786 shadow+ mec and I ended up installing a goat link in order to make the whole combo work with a 42t and the Radr cage. The mec that I upgraded turned out being defective (broken spring repaired incorrectly) so go figure!

BPaze

Personally I have not done this but when I researched that Sunrace cassette it said to pair it with an Eagle RD because the 11 speed isn’t designed for the 50 tooth cog. I have read people have had success below is a singletracks article about it

https://singletrackworld.com/2018/0...e-enormous-11-50t-mx80-cassette-from-sunrace/

There a bunch others as well

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
I've always looked at these dinner plate cassettes as a way to increase the high end gearing.
Follow me on this logic. if i run a 30T in the front, and 11-42 in the back, i can install a 32T in the front
and 11-46 in the back. 30/42=.714, 32/46=.695, gained a little mechanical advantage there, but
30/11=2.7 32/11=2.9 gained 6% on the top end.

I don't do TTs on the mtb, so how often am I in the little cogs? Finding myself unable to
climb comfortably in the 32T chainring scenario, would mean I'd go to the 30T chainring
with the 11-46 - giving even more mechanical advantage at the low end, at the cost of
the high end - which actually might come into use now.

Other advantages of the smaller chainring:
  • a bit more clearance
  • Upgrade cost is less (there is a lower limit before changing cranks to accept smaller chainrings)
  • rear der is used in its designed range
I think i'm 30-10/46 on the tallboy, 30-11/42 on the fatbike (which is 9 sp, with a extension link - total cost of upgrade less than $50) -
since wheel diameter on the fatbike is smaller, the mechanical advantage of the cassette doesn't need to be as large.

qclabrat

I don't want 12 speed, don't sell me on that
Going with @fidodie 's Tallboy setup and sticking with 10-46T 11 speed cassette. I'm not looking to experiment if no one else knows it works.

qclabrat

i have a goatlink, likely will never see use again. make me an offer, only alcohol please, if you need it.
Probably not going in that direction, but I'm might need to take your offer to CNC something for me which will get you good drinkers as well....

one piece crank

This article closes with an SRAM 11spd solution:

I tried fitting a 12-speed GX Eagle rear derailleur to the 11-speed shifter. As luck would have it, the setup worked.
Surprisingly well. The Eagle rear derailleur is already purpose-built to clear a 50t sprocket, and combined with the
11-speed shifter, it lined up with each gear on the SunRace cassette without issue. This makes an interesting
potential upgrade option; if you have a SRAM 1×11 drivetrain and you’re looking for more low-range, you could
potentially purchase just the MX80 cassette and a GX Eagle rear mech, rather than a whole Eagle drivetrain.

Top Bottom