What have you done to your bike today?

Some insomnia led me to do some work and parts swapping tonight on a free bike I got from a friend that he didnt use in trade for some ski pants I didn't use. I plan to make this a loaner to any friends that are interested in riding in hopes it gets them hooked! It had some beat up parts but overall mot to bad for a parts bin build :DD

List of thingsinstalled/swapped

-8 speed shimano rear and a 2x slx front mech.
-12-32 cassette
-front bash guard
-brand new cables and housings all around
-shimano brm447 hydro brakes
-60mm stem
-way to long 760mm bars
-lock on odi grips
-new wtb Bronson 29x2.2 front and rear
-random sadle

Just needs pedals, prob a new chain, and some fluid changed in the old RS dart 3. ...oh and air for the tires

20151010_010929.jpg
20151010_010716.jpg

Serviced the ring drive on both king hubs, removed the drive shell bearings to clean & lube. Cleaned all the yuck out of the cassettes, tossed all 4 wheels on the truing stand. Should be good for another year.

For the century effort she has given me yesterday, the road bike got a nice wash/lub and a wax job. She's looking good!
The mountain bike will need to wait a bit more for the same treatment.

embarrassing....

rear triangle had a little hitch in it. couldn't figure out where it was coming from, so i stopped by HG (had to pick up some trinkets anyway)
it was a loose lower shock bolt...ugh - i swear there was some side to side motion - oh well. and the chainring bolts were loose, which explained some of the skipping.

Insomnia part 2.

4-5 years ago my brother wanted to give being a roadie a shot. He decided to get himself a bikes direct special. 4 to 5 years later and less than 50 miles on it I'm 98% sure this bike is mine now seeing as how its been collecting dust unused in my garage. He probably didn't enjoy it much cause it didn't stop very well and shifted like shit.

Work done:
- new shift cables
- new casette
- gears indexed
-brakes adjusted
- wheels "trued" (they are straighter then when we started)
- got rid of the beach cruiser seat on it.
- longer stem from the parts bin

I haven't worked on a front derailleur let alone a old school 3x in a few years. Had to run to the bathroom magazine pile to grab a mag I snagged a lil while back on bike maintenance.

20151015_021403.jpg

It's nice to have actual reading material in front of you instead of having to look it up on the internet sometimes.
2015-10-15 02.36.29.jpg

I could use wider bars , nicer hoods and I wouldn't mind upgrading the sora to at least a 105. Its also a bit small, i think its a 52 and im more a 54 But I can't complain , shit was free and not from walmart. Booya!

Last edited:
Shiny new 1x10 drivetrain, WolfTooth 30T stainless steel ring, WolfTooth 42T and 16T cogs. Rides like a champ and shifts flawlessly...View attachment 26432

UPDATE:

I wasn't happy with the shifting of the 19-16-13 spacing after removing the 15 and 17 and replacing them with the WolfTooth 16. Shifting from the 19 to the 16 was fine - but there was some hiccuping going from the 13 to the 16. I also noticed that I never used the 11T (smallest) cog ever.

So I decided instead to ditch the 16 and put the original 17 and 15 back. I also removed the 11T - making the 13T the smallest cog and keeping all the other gearings of the original cassette. This gives me a nicely spaced 13-42 cassette (13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36-42).

Unfortunately it was not as simple as removing the 11T and using the existing 13T. "First Position" cogs are slightly different than the other cogs. In addition, you need a different lockring for a 13T first position cog than for an 11T. As I discovered, lockrings come in two sizes - one for 11T, one for 12T and up. So I had to replace my 13T cog AND the lockring.

Fortunately I found an Italian company named Miche (http://www.miche.it) that makes custom cogs that fit Shimano hubs. Their advertising claims the cogs are for Miche Shimano cassettes only, but they fit and work with Shimano exactly the same. I'm guessing they have to say that for legal purposes. Prices were very reasonable - the 13T and the lockring were under $10 each. Their replacement cogs are carried by all the major vendors so they're not hard to find.

So now I'm riding with the 13-42 cassette and all is well again. I'm lovin' the 1x drivetrain, and with this last tweak it rides even better!

-Dan

Last edited:
finally converted the paragon to SS....
The Origin8 tensioner sucks, as i has a bunch of slop in the pivot, and won't square up to the chain. So it is noisy.
Anybody else have one of these? am i missing a part in there?

But the chain line is good, and it seems to have wrapped enough teeth to not skip.

IMG_3690.JPG
IMG_3692.JPG

should clean off that 6mile tan.

The Origin8 tensioner sucks, as i has a bunch of slop in the pivot, and won't square up to the chain. So it is noisy.

But the chain line is good, and it seems to have wrapped enough teeth to not skip.

View attachment 26752 View attachment 26753

I just posted in some other thread about tensioners. Most of these styles kinda suck. I prefer the tensioner in push up mode, if that's an option on yours. If it fails or if it has slop, you can easily zip tie/hair tie it up to your chainstay. I ziptied my Surly Singulator after the spring popped out of the retainer hole on a ride. After fixing it, I put a zip tie on anyway because it just worked better. Pic below isn't mine, but you get the idea.

507139294_85f65f6fa3.jpg

Last edited:
I just posted in some other thread about tensioners. Most of these styles kinda suck. I prefer the tensioner in push up mode, if that's an option on yours. If it fails or if it has slop, you can easily zip tie/hair tie it up to your chainstay. I ziptied my Surly Singulator after the spring popped out of the retainer hole on a ride. After fixing it, I put a zip tie on anyway because it just worked better. Pic below isn't mine, but you get the idea.

interesting, thnx

don't know why they would put the spring on the inboard side - just doesn't make much sense from an engineering pov.
i should just put my derailleur back on and set the stops..

View attachment 26752 View attachment 26753

Ha, my wife thought my bike was all rusty. I didn't have the courage to point out it can't be... Cuz Carbon. :)

Skinnies...fit barely?

IMG_20151028_132846.jpg

So a White Ind. ENO will barely fit with a 107mm bottom bracket on a Surly Crosscheck. That's a 1mm spacer on the bottom bracket, for reference, and what appears to be a piece of dust stuck between the crankarm and the bottom bracket shell. I may need to run a bit off that lockring...

Got my spearfish back from the shop yesterday with a 2nd new replacement Rockshox monarch RT3 shock. The previous one lasted maybe 2 months then crapped out. Of course just in time for the deluge. Maybe trails will be ok this weekend?

Last edited:
Got my spearfish back from the shop yesterday with a 2nd new replacement Rockshox monarch RT3 shock. The previous one lasted maybe 2 months then crapped out. Of course just in time for the deluge. Maybe trails will be ok this weekend?
don't you have a Horse Thief coming in?

Back
Top Bottom