What have you done to your bike today?

bergsnj

Threw some Deity T-mac pedals on the trail bike
A0A1153D-60FA-4894-89DA-D2D00ABCA3FC.jpeg

Bikeworks

Got the wheelset squared away and mounted today. Ended up caving for a new MS freehub to swap in, figured if I sell the EX511s I'll want to sweeten the deal by being able to offer XD and MS. Trying to get the new tires to seat, even with soapy water, took a few tries. No issues with the seal, just wouldn't give that one last pop (eventually did). I also added an extra layer of tape over the pre-installed Roval (nee DT Swiss) tape, using the new Muc-Off stuff. Went on a bit easier than DT, but it's also more prone to creasing.

The XT derailleur had a broken clutch switch, so I pulled one off of a spare SLX; first time doing anything with a clutch, and it was annoying lol. I greased the clutch before re-installing it (read that issues with them arise from being dry from the factory, such was the case here). Also threw on an XTR chain.

So, what do the scales say? I went from this:

IMG_1934.jpg

To this:

IMG_2004.jpg

Mind you, this is also sans insert on the rear. And it's weight savings at the wheels, so I am anticipating a really detectable difference. Only disappointment was having to use XT discs over my XTR due to the wheels only being 6B. So yea, those might be for sale too, lol.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
Had some free time this evening so Iook it apart down to the bolts and did a complete detail - everything that comes off came off and was individually cleaned. Ordered a new set of tires a couple of weeks ago - wanted to try out a pair of Ardents. I have only run Ikons for the last ten years or so, so this is a change. I typically don't like change. Like, ever. But the only ones they had in stock were the skin walls. First time I've ever had skin walls. (Kinda like the way they look, too. SO now maybe I'll use just these for the next ten years ...) Oh - and there was a ton of gunk inside the seat tube - cleaned that with a brush made for cleaning blinds. No idea how that much crud got inside the seat tube, but it has been a while since I cleaned it in full. When all was cleaned and put back together, threw a coat of Bike Lust on the frame, bars and fork.

Now if only my new wheel set would hurry the fuck up and get here - it's been only 9 months, though, so maybe I'm being unreasonable ...

IMG_1247.jpeg

iman29

Had some free time this evening so Iook it apart down to the bolts and did a complete detail - everything that comes off came off and was individually cleaned. Ordered a new set of tires a couple of weeks ago - wanted to try out a pair of Ardents. I have only run Ikons for the last ten years or so, so this is a change. I typically don't like change. Like, ever. But the only ones they had in stock were the skin walls. First time I've ever had skin walls. (Kinda like the way they look, too. SO now maybe I'll use just these for the next ten years ...) Oh - and there was a ton of gunk inside the seat tube - cleaned that with a brush made for cleaning blinds. No idea how that much crud got inside the seat tube, but it has been a while since I cleaned it in full. When all was cleaned and put back together, threw a coat of Bike Lust on the frame, bars and fork.

Now if only my new wheel set would hurry the fuck up and get here - it's been only 9 months, though, so maybe I'm being unreasonable ...

View attachment 177340
Pressed the Like button harder for wall
Of tools. 👍🏻

JDurk

View attachment 177340
I've seen many love/hate comments online about Ardents. I've always liked them as a good all arounder for many of the same trails you and I ride. Had an Ikon as a rear tire for a day and didn't like it. Been running Rekon 2.6/2.4 combo on my SS and FS for almost a year now. Seems to be a nice middle ground tire between the Ardent and Ikon. I looked at the Ardent Race but not as a front.

1speed

Incredibly profound yet fantastically flawed
I've seen many love/hate comments online about Ardents. I've always liked them as a good all arounder for many of the same trails you and I ride. Had an Ikon as a rear tire for a day and didn't like it. Been running Rekon 2.6/2.4 combo on my SS and FS for almost a year now. Seems to be a nice middle ground tire between the Ardent and Ikon. I looked at the Ardent Race but not as a front.
Thanks for the info, John! Yeah, I thought it was a good time to try something new. I have always loved the Ikons for racing and they're probably ideal for spots like Wharton because they have always rolled very fast. But I wanted to see if I'd be happier with something a bit more aggressive in rockier spots like Wiss or FC right now - I haven't lined up for a race now in over two years and while I'd like to do something this year (pandemic permitting!) I think my overall plan is to just ride a ton this year and that means I'll have the luxury of playing with some new setup without worrying about sticking to what's worked for racing in the past. BTW - the front is a 2.4, which is only slightly larger than the 2.3 Ikon I had on there before, but holy crap does it ever look huge! Probably a combo of larger tread and the extra size, but it looks like a balloon on there!

A few other things I may play with this year - possibly going to pick up a ti cog form Boone to see how that rides. They're super expensive for cogs, so I'd probably just go with something like a 19 since that's my "go-to" gear for most rides. If I really love it, I might get a 20 for Rothrock rides, but I'd really have to love it a lot to get two at those prices. And, of course, my one other add this year (???) is my I9 wheels. I order a set of Trail 280 24 spokes last April and I am hoping they finally arrive soon (with "soon" basically meaning "in 2022 at some point.") My current front wheel is basically a dumpster fire being held together with duct tape and chewing gum at this point, so I really, really want those damn wheels to get here already.

There is one other thing I'm waiting on as well, but I'm kind of ashamed of that one ... it's a ... well ... it's ... got ... gears ...
Actually, that's been a plan for a couple of years now ever since my lower back decided it was done with me for good (who'd have guessed that riding only a SS for 12 years - and at least half of that time on rigid - could have negative effects on a middle aged body???) I figure if it ever arrives - it's a Niner RKT that has been on order since June - it'll be a nice change of pace now and then to keep the back from dipping out on me once and for all.

Top Bottom