What have you done to your bike today?

Wanted to raise bb height on my park rat sled. So installed 1 degree angleset and switched from x-low to low . Also installed some dagga shin destroyers .
20210823_141411.jpg
20210823_162846.jpg
20210823_162920.jpg

Actually not just today, but also in the past weeks...

First the wife's entry level bike has been electrified using a Batang 750W central mount full kit, including mini color display and brake sensors and gear shift sensor to preserve the life of the motor and gears (or so I'm told). The setup is not final, the bike has since received hydraulic brakes (Shimano BR-M445 + knock off levers with embedded sensors) and eventually the battery will be mounted on the top of the down tube once I fabricate an aluminum plate to support it (no way the flimsy plastic mount would survive the first bump, especially since only one bottle cage boss can be used given the size of the battery and the location of the bosses on the down tube).

Honestly I would have preferred a proper e-bike and I'm not happy with the fork weighting a ton, but I needed it for yesterday and the kit was here in a 4 days, so I really didn't have much of a choice. I'm not dome with it yet, stay tuned.

@Mr.Moto what say you?

e-bike-1.jpg

e-bike-2.jpg

e-bike-4.jpg

My race finally got the originally intended drivetrain, older RF Next SL carbon poop +One UP Switch chainring and OneUp Shark 50T-10T modified XT 11 speed cassette and Shark Cage modified XT Derailleur. Downsized the tires to 2.4WT from 2.6, still Rekon (the Metzcal were an experiment but I wasn't too impressed by them on what little mud I found at Stephensso they're now on heavy duty rotation on the SS). I am trying hard not to order matchy matchy Hope Headset and BB but I believe it's a lost cause...

ELAM3-2015-2.jpg

Well not my bike technically this is a joint venture between myself and my youngest Zach.

Finally got time yesterday during lunch with him to tinker with the 95 Trek Mountain Track 850 that I rescued from the curb back in April. Aside from being dirty and a little rust here and there the main issue was the rear shifter wasn’t engaging.

After taking advice from @Fire Lord Jim I took apart the rear shifter and figured out if I just loosen it and rotate it around the bar it’s easier to work on even if upside down.

Had Zach help me take the bolt and aces off and together we looked at it and saw exactly where the pawls were stuck. Flooded it with WD40 and then Used some canned air to blow as much of it out as possible. After a few minutes of picking and engaging the shifter it finally was working !

Put it back together and I had him help me while I adjusted the rear derailleur cable tension. It took a bit of fiddling around and then I scrubbed down the chain a little more with cleaner and lube and now it’s dialed in much better.

Ran out of time to take it outside for a wash and test ride yesterday but hope to do that later today.

Really excited he has such an interest in bikes all of a sudden the last few weeks so continuing to keep fueling the flame with him as much possible.

AF01B78A-3EF5-480F-8EB6-E65C78964EDE.jpeg

OOS day, so I replaced my broken brake blade on the Enduro (getting the spring into position before inserting the retaining pin was NOT fun). Then I swung by the LBS to drop off my Epic HT SID Brain fork; having it lobotomized and replacing it with a Charger 2 Race Day damper. The Brain was just too jittery for me, heard it's a problem with the newer version.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom