What have you done to your bike today?

pkovo

Impulse bought an old Kona Shred off Facebook. Hoped to tune it up and use it stock as my new pump track / Bmx track junker. Unfortunately it was in worse shape than I anticipated.

Stripped it down and decided the frame seatpost and clamp were all I could use. Robbed all the parts off my streety trials bike. Sprung for a new headset and this is the result. Its pretty fugly. Looks like a tank but feels pretty nimble. Will have to get it on a pump track to really see if I like it.

DE65275A-5CC1-4BA9-96E3-DA1FDF73E78D.jpeg

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Impulse bought an old Kona Shred off Facebook. Hoped to tune it up and use it stock as my new pump track / Bmx track junker. Unfortunately it was in worse shape than I anticipated.

Stripped it down and decided the frame seatpost and clamp were all I could use. Robbed all the parts off my streety trials bike. Sprung for a new headset and this is the result. Its pretty fugly. Looks like a tank but feels pretty nimble. Will have to get it on a pump track to really see if I like it.

View attachment 156628
Please remove front brake then repost.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
No Way....trialsy stuff is fun and I don't do bar spins anyway.
I thought this was your “pump track / Bmx track junker” bike? 😉 Kidding aside, I always wanted to build up a cheap DJ/pumptrack bike. I’m pretty sure the wife would divorce me.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Threw on flat pedals on my Occam and Supreme DH in preparation for Mountain Creek Saturday.

Turns out the park noob I’m bringing doesn’t like flats so I took them off and mounted clipless pedals to both bikes. Since we’re sharing and going to switch between runs, I had to adjust.

I also swapped out my $$$ titanium saddle and carbon wheels for cheaper and more durable parts. Figure if either of us takes a fall on the Orbea, it won’t be as financially painful. 😬

johnbryanpeters

View attachment 156628
Nice. I have a Shred in my shop, started to try to revive it, but rear hub's beyond repair and I have been unable to find a replacement.

Ian F

PXL_20210430_230522816.jpg

GX AXS installed.

This is the first time I haven't had a Shimano drive train on one of my mtn bikes since... 1996. And that was Sachs.

Very easy to install. I still need to do a ride on dirt (tomorrow), but it shifts great in the stand and for a quick ride on my street.

A 170mm Reverb AXS is on order from @jdog to complete the "no more cables" conversion.

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Replaced the busted driver and mounted up the summer wheels.
TT season is upon us.

View attachment 156381

yes - i washed them, and the bike.

i did grab a rotor out of the tool box, and mounted it up on the front - put it on the bike and it didn't work.
185mm - who does that? anyone need it?

Mounted it up last Sunday -
A TM ride at 6MR and SMP, a nice cruise through 6MR on Wednesday, and then Friday at the Sourlands. Crunch. Mid-ride i hear that weird sound a hub can make
when it is kinda working but something just ain't right. Engagement was fine, coasting: not so much.

The driver bearing let go, one of the pawl seats (is that what they are called?) is boogered.
Great - another slow boat from China!

1619873723717.png

Funny how @shrpshtr325 is always on the rides where my bike breaks.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
A TM ride at 6MR and SMP, a nice cruise through 6MR on Wednesday, and then Friday at the Sourlands. Crunch. Mid-ride i hear that weird sound a hub can make
when it is kinda working but something just ain't right. Engagement was fine, coasting: not so much.

The driver bearing let go, one of the pawl seats (is that what they are called?) is boogered.

View attachment 156773

It's funny bc we don't ride together that often 🤪

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
It's funny bc we don't ride together that often 🤪

and another holiday - last time they were off for a month for CNY

Hi Sir,

Thanks for your email. This is an automatic email.

The date from 1st to 5th is the International Labor Day holiday. Please forgive that we are unable to reply to your email in time.

We'll return to the office and reply to you on 6th May. The orders that were not processed or shipped before 1st May, we'll handle them right after we come back to the office.

For urgent affairs, Phone call, Text, or Whatsapp: +86 180 4628 6260 (Brian Hsia)
Email: brian@nextie.com (Brian Hsia)
Facebook Messenger: https://www.facebook.com/nextiebikes/

Thanks for your understanding and patience.
Have a nice day!

Best Regards,
Nextie Team

Last edited:

rick81721

Lothar

View attachment 156773

How about stop wasting time on the fake search for a queenmobile and start a real search for a decent bike that doesn't blow up after every two hrs riding time? :shrug:

serviceguy

View attachment 156773

But...wasn't this just fixed? what brand is it? I'm sure you can find same sized bearings that are not made of great panda poop in the US...https://www.bocabearings.com/

What is wrong with the pawl seat? Seems fine from the picture...

How about stop wasting time on the fake search for a queenmobile and start a real search for a decent bike that doesn't blow up after every two hrs riding time? :shrug:
hesrightyou know.png

serviceguy

I'm not sure my riding style lends itself to longevity....

Queue up the next thing i'm going to break.

View attachment 156780
That weird feeling you get when seeing someone showing off an AXS derailleur on a bike with oem maxxis tires...

I really see only the following options as applicable:

- stop riding with @shrpshtr325
- change bike mechanic
- stop riding (the one I seem to have favored lately...or always).

Kaleidopete

Fixed my "chain suck".
At a critical moment powering up a hill through some tall grass, all of a sudden...chain suck.
Got home and looked things over, it was only the derailleur tension lever that some how got
moved to the release position. All my fixes should be so easy. Now I'll remember to look for
that if it ever happens again.
WEB-TEST-Shimano-XT-Shadow-Plus4.jpg

Top Bottom