What have you done to your bike today?

mfennell

Not mine, but I had the pleasure of working on this sweet Huffy FS kids bike. So nice. 31lbs WITH pedals and kickstand. All 7 speeds. Both brakes.

The brakes brought the bike to my garage. My friend's wife assembled it (he can't be trusted with tools). She did fine - nothing was upside down or backwards - but the brakes were dragging and unevenly tensioned.

I really hate these things. How much lighter could a properly designed fully rigid bike be at the same price point? 6 or 7lbs between dumping the garbage fork/shock and using the money for better materials & components? Noone would buy it though.

huffy.jpg

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw
Rim is straight not a scratch on it.... tire not so much. I tried seating the tire again but no luck.
20210425_102947.jpg

*update* I had the stock Recon 27.5+ boi in the shed... its the same EXO TR casing.

High Roller 2 up front and a Recon in the back... both 2.8

Last edited:

iman29

Well not my bike but here’s the story.

There’s this guy that rides my local development we call him “Hybrid Bike Guy” or “Mr Yellow Vest”. He drives to my neighborhood pretty much every day parks in the same spot and rides his bike slowly in every kind of weather. We always wave but I never met him 1:1.

Friday on the way back from my Rando prep ride I saw him at his car and waved. After I ate lunch I had to go out and driving down the main road I see a blinking tail light assumed it was him. Instead it was this.

FAB44FCF-99DF-46FB-9681-2105E6636FF1.jpeg

BB2A71EF-DC40-40CB-8FB4-81BDC3616EF0.jpeg

Right away I knew he must have drove off without it. I put it in my car and drove 2 blocks home to make a sign and posted this on the fence.
A00A1EA3-763F-4F57-B060-1F2A5629A649.jpeg

Some lady walking also saw me and she posted that in the local FB community page. I also texted it to a friend and he posted it on a few other pages too

Got back from Lowe’s about 2 hours later he called my cell. Was at the spot he left it and saw the sign. His name is Dave and he’s 78!!

Told him come to my house to get it. Bike reunited with owner. He was so grateful and said thank you about 100 times. He came back 5 minutes later with McDonalds for my teenager kids as a thanks.

A00FEDD9-1AE0-4583-92C7-19E917C7374F.jpeg

0CC5C731-C4F6-4145-A0B8-2813E503D86A.jpeg

Now at least when I see him I can say Hi Dave!

Ian F

PXL_20210424_170729598.jpg

Mounted the 12spd bits I've had for months on the MegaTower. Unfortunately, the used XTR derailleur seems to be tweaked and it doesn't shift very well.
I'm thinking about calling @jdog on Monday and claiming one of the AXS sets they have since I have read in a few places neither 12spd shifter/derailleur cares about the cassette brand.

serviceguy

View attachment 156374
Mounted the 12spd bits I've had for months on the MegaTower. Unfortunately, the used XTR derailleur seems to be tweaked and it doesn't shift very well.
I'm thinking about calling @jdog on Monday and claiming one of the AXS sets they have since I have read in a few places neither 12spd shifter/derailleur cares about the cassette brand.
What seems to be the problem with the derailleur?

Soundguy

#SenditGuy
Team MTBNJ Halter's

There’s this guy that rides my local development we call him “Hybrid Bike Guy” or “Mr Yellow Vest”. He drives to my neighborhood pretty much every day parks in the same spot and rides his bike slowly in every kind of weather. We always wave but I never met him 1:1.

Friday on the way back from my Rando prep ride I saw him at his car and waved. After I ate lunch I had to go out and driving down the main road I see a blinking tail light assumed it was him. Instead it was this.

View attachment 156359

View attachment 156360

Right away I knew he must have drove off without it. I put it in my car and drove 2 blocks home to make a sign and posted this on the fence.
View attachment 156361

Some lady walking also saw me and she posted that in the local FB community page. I also texted it to a friend and he posted it on a few other pages too

Got back from Lowe’s about 2 hours later he called my cell. Was at the spot he left it and saw the sign. His name is Dave and he’s 78!!

Told him come to my house to get it. Bike reunited with owner. He was so grateful and said thank you about 100 times. He came back 5 minutes later with McDonalds for my teenager kids as a thanks.

View attachment 156363

View attachment 156364

This is awesome. Well done. Now I want hamburgers.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Replaced the busted driver and mounted up the summer wheels.
TT season is upon us.

1619380246657.png

yes - i washed them, and the bike.

i did grab a rotor out of the tool box, and mounted it up on the front - put it on the bike and it didn't work.
185mm - who does that? anyone need it?

Ian F

What seems to be the problem with the derailleur?
I'm pretty sure it's bent. As soon as I bolted it onto the hanger, I thought... "fudge... that doesn't look good." I was able to tweak and futz with it enough to get it to work in about half the gears, but it skips like crazy in others. But because of some of the wide jumps between gears (11-52 cassette), it means I was often in either a too easy gear or a too hard gear on the flatter sections of Pennypack (which is a lot of the park).

Last edited:

mfennell

Not mine, but I had the pleasure of working on this sweet Huffy FS kids bike. So nice. 31lbs WITH pedals and kickstand. All 7 speeds. Both brakes.

Stopped by to drop off my daughter's friend after a private movie (which is the coolest thing ever) and noticed that the handlebars were rotated so far back that the brake levers were pointing up at 45 degrees and the cap had come off the end of the rear brake line so the cable was all frayed. Fortunately, I had a Park 3-way allen wrench in the car to deal with the bars.

Told him he's going to have to bring it back in a few weeks for a tune-up and new brake cable.

Dusty the Whale

Mr.Chainsaw

View attachment 156359

View attachment 156360

View attachment 156361

View attachment 156363

View attachment 156364

I hit 'like' because I saw a pile of burgers... .then read the post

serviceguy

I'm pretty sure it's bent. As soon as I bolted it onto the hanger, I thought... "fudge... that doesn't look good." I was able to tweak and futz with it enough to get it to work in about half the gears, but it skips like crazy in others. But because of some of the wide jumps between gears (11-52 cassette), it means I was often in either a too easy gear or a too hard gear on the flatter sections of Pennypack (which is a lot of the park).
can you just replace the cage or it's the actual mechanism. Not sure 12 speed cages can already be had though...

Top Bottom