What have you done to your bike today?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Installed last piece of Sqweeb. Now I can put the Quarq I stole off Pinky back.

20210415_181021.jpg

iman29

So what I did today is fine this Trek Mountain Track on a dog walk today out at the curb at someone’s house a few blocks over. After debating to go back for it during dinner i decided to go grab it after I sent the 14 year old to go ride his current bike and check it out. Brought it home for a better assessment.

Filled the tires and put it up on the stand to see how it looked. Tubes hold air and wheels are true. Tires seem ok not rotted and lots of life left. Front tire even has some new tire nubs still on it. Front der works fine. Rear derailleur won’t shift the shifter may be busted since I can tighten and loosen the cable tension and the rear will
Shift up and down one cog. Chain is rusty needs to be replaced but wasn’t frozen solid. Seems like this bike sat in an external garage or decent shed it’s not a complete mess.

Took it for a quick test ride and it seems to roll ok. Will keep it for now and tinker with it alongside youngest son who told me this retro bike is totally cool. Pretty sure it’s a 1995 model.

Off to google to see how to adjust/fix the shifter or might need to replace it.
E9EB884E-2709-4179-922E-C5D033690183.jpeg

5D1B0F1D-C3D6-4D13-8471-8DD67FA8B950.jpeg
4E15C38A-E1C1-4911-A987-203C6C6D3577.jpeg

FAB43FD2-9B84-46CE-B854-6E7948D2968D.jpeg

Dingo

My first mtb was a '91 Trek antelope. Rode the crap out of it. Amazing how much better the new bikes are, but we all had a lot fun back then. And the parking lots were not crowded (if there even was a designated lot)

Tim

aka sptimmy43
That's awesome! My second "real bike" was a green Trek 800 from the late 90s (probably '98). Unfortunately it got stolen out of my parents garage while I was at college. It's pretty cool to see bikes of that era still rolling around!

iman29

i looked it over again before work this morning and im even more glad I grabbed it now. Seems like it even has the original pedals and tires on it - Tires say TREK on them and both are still holding air. Before I muck around with the shifter it clearly needs all new brake and shifter cables too, so will make a list and then start sourcing parts.

Based on my quick check with a tape measure, I think it's an 18' Medium frame which probably fits the 14 year old better than the current 2013 Trek 820 that's been handed down to him from my middle son.

Not sure I will make it his daily rider but seeing how excited he is to get it and try it out, looks like it's getting added to the permanent collection much to the dismay of the wife.

And now I might be able to bring it to the future planned classic bike parade/post BIYF celebration :p

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
So what I did today is fine this Trek Mountain Track on a dog walk today out at the curb at someone’s house a few blocks over. After debating to go back for it during dinner i decided to go grab it after I sent the 14 year old to go ride his current bike and check it out. Brought it home for a better assessment.

Filled the tires and put it up on the stand to see how it looked. Tubes hold air and wheels are true. Tires seem ok not rotted and lots of life left. Front tire even has some new tire nubs still on it. Front der works fine. Rear derailleur won’t shift the shifter may be busted since I can tighten and loosen the cable tension and the rear will
Shift up and down one cog. Chain is rusty needs to be replaced but wasn’t frozen solid. Seems like this bike sat in an external garage or decent shed it’s not a complete mess.

Took it for a quick test ride and it seems to roll ok. Will keep it for now and tinker with it alongside youngest son who told me this retro bike is totally cool. Pretty sure it’s a 1995 model.

Off to google to see how to adjust/fix the shifter or might need to replace it.
View attachment 156039
View attachment 156040View attachment 156041
View attachment 156042
Awesome score. That bike deserves better, glad you “rescued” it!

extremedave

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Wound up with an extra 180 rotor and adaptor so went a little bigger on the fattie.

Snake bite on the rear of the tracer and I’d just ordered new tires, so on it went. Ran to REI for Stans and they were out. Dunno if anyone else has found shortages but looks like I can ship to store, or maybe stop by a shop over the weekend.

.1ACF5D8E-966C-4483-904B-D9098C0DBBBA.jpeg50127659-2749-4D51-A7D8-BC35CF95F94D.jpeg

Victor I

aka Ridgehog
Wound up with an extra 180 rotor and adaptor so went a little bigger on the fattie.

Snake bite on the rear of the tracer and I’d just ordered new tires, so on it went. Ran to REI for Stans and they were out. Dunno if anyone else has found shortages but looks like I can ship to store, or maybe stop by a shop over the weekend.

.View attachment 156094View attachment 156095
How much Stans do you think you may need?

iman29

I was dreading changing the tires on the road bike cause last time I changed them I nearly broke my wrists cause these suckers are tight to get on these rims for whatever reason

So either the tires are just a touch different than the previous conti 5000’s or I am just getting better at it. I will go with getting better at it.

New tires but still dirty bike. Wash and lube tomorrow or Friday.
9771D6EC-CFFC-4F4D-9007-2017E242C3AD.jpeg
89A04457-B029-4ABD-917E-E44AD7BE1E62.jpeg

iman29

Spent yesterday cleaning and lubing the bike and did a short shakedown ride. New cassette and replacement free hub working perfectly. Then sorting through my stuff for the Cranbury 200K today while trying not to overdo it.

Fashioned a clothing holder with some Velcro straps for taking off layers later in the day.

Thanks for the advice @jimvreeland i marked the control mileage to make sure we don’t miss any.

Stupid Garmin 510 gave me issues loading the course but glad I have a second one the 810 will be better anyway with a bigger screen.

1B9F39D7-EE42-4B7E-AE78-68BE5A04F57E.jpeg

77F7FC7A-D62D-4CA9-AA4C-EC02A42C26D3.jpeg

Top Bottom