What have you done to your bike today?

mtbiker87

My Fat Surly bottom bracket is seizing up I think, it's real hard to pedal. So I went to remove my crank arms,
I have a puller that threads in, but it's too big for these arms, it's for my other bike. Gave up and I'll have to bring it in to LBS
next week, I hate that because of repair times lately. Also my new Ks eten dropper post took a shit and all leaked out. I just
got it for Christmas and only used it 3 times. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
What part is to big Pete ? I might have a puller that could work.

Kaleidopete

What part is to big Pete ? I might have a puller that could work.
I don't really know how to do this, I know I have a crank arm puller for my Trek, but it is too big a thread to use on the Moonlander.
Maybe I don't even need a puller, I took the "tension" adjustment cap off and didn't see a way to remove the cranks. I was going to
youtube it today and see if someone shows how to remove the cranks. I'll keep you posted, thanks.

johnbryanpeters

I don't really know how to do this, I know I have a crank arm puller for my Trek, but it is too big a thread to use on the Moonlander.
Maybe I don't even need a puller, I took the "tension" adjustment cap off and didn't see a way to remove the cranks. I was going to
youtube it today and see if someone shows how to remove the cranks. I'll keep you posted, thanks.
Loosen the two Allen screws and pull it straight off...

Kaleidopete

Thanks, that was it, 2 screws, I only saw 1 it was so crudded up. It came apart just fine.
The bearings just fell out on the left side. I just ordered a new bottom bracket with the new bearings.
I really only need the bearing cups I think, but they were out of stock, so for $20 more I got the whole thing.
That's why it was hard peddling! o_O
Cimg0125.jpg
Cimg0126.jpg
Cimg0127.jpg

Ian F

The new to me 170mm cranks arrived, so the Chameleon went into the stand last night.

For the love of all you may find holy - use Ti-Prep on the retaining bolt on eeWings cranks (as mentioned in the bloody instructions that I ignored...). You WILL regret life if you don't. I didn't even ride the friggen cranks and they were a bitch to get off having been installed with just grease. Feel like I dodged a bullet there...

The cranks I bought are Deore level, so I probably over-paid... but whatever. They arrived as advertised (clean and look never ridden on) and will be fine on a Chameleon. Now to figure out how long the dropper post cable housing needs to be and then get that installed and the rest of the drivetrain set up. Hopefully within a few days the bike will be able to ride - even if my shoulder is still a month or more away from being able to ride off road.

MadisonDan

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Got my rear wheel for the Trail429 back from DT Swiss this afternoon. They packed way too much grease in the hub the first time, and the ratchets wouldn’t engage because the floating one was getting stuck.
They replaced the internals and looks like a different, lighter grease.
Took a while to get the tire to seat, even with a compressor and soapy water. Rotor and cassette reinstalled, and wheel back on the bike.
34663507-2D2A-4C45-8859-B0E567509E7E.jpeg
CAC75E2D-B944-44EF-BAC3-AE6696D1B53F.jpeg

rosceaux

I think I’m done for now(?) Just installed the Trans-x dropper with a Wolftooth lever. It is smooth on the lower and surprisingly fast on the return. Fixed my wheel issues this weekend. Installed Fox 34 110 travel fork a few weeks ago. all tires re-filled and reset on the rims. Just need to work on the engine...
BACBACFF-4713-4284-8D15-BEBF2267A586.jpeg

Kaleidopete

Thanks, that was it, 2 screws, I only saw 1 it was so crudded up. It came apart just fine.
The bearings just fell out on the left side. I just ordered a new bottom bracket with the new bearings.
I really only need the bearing cups I think, but they were out of stock, so for $20 more I got the whole thing.
That's why it was hard peddling! o_O
View attachment 151797View attachment 151798View attachment 151799
Worked out great, my new BB came today and was installed by me in a short time, all went well.
The original setup was open bearings on one side (outer). The thought was to periodically re-grease.
The new setup is sealed bearings, much better. Easy job when you know how.

pkovo

Reworked my kids race bikes to better fit her new size. New Bars, stems, moved spacers etc. Basically made the riders area as similar as possible between them since she'll be swapping back and forth from one moto to the next. The cruiser is definitely short, so as band aid I'm using a longer than ideal stem and rolling the bars forward a touch. Hoping she can get a season out of them, but I'm definitely keeping one eye out for deals on frames one size up.

FC880B2F-9C2F-4104-AB98-81022D240AF7.jpeg

serviceguy

Switched the Fugitive to 12 speed, can’t wait to test it on the trails. Kept the 11 speed group brakes, lots of $$$ all at once to do the whole thing. Maybe later this year but it doesn’t look very likely. Also found the possible cause for the annoying creaking that had bugged me forever, when I changed the chainring I realized the OneUp Switch carrier was wobbly (cinch), so a nice overdue clean up and blue loctite should have taken care of that ( finger crossed).
A9871958-7E7C-437D-A97C-0F5F37B7B171.jpeg

CF8D8393-82FB-4556-925F-3432C3EC5594.jpeg

29C7B78D-B2B0-443C-B978-4F27E199643F.jpeg

serviceguy

I'm interested in the 1G DSM with Evo wheels sitting in your driveway...
Me too, unfortunately it’s kind of rotting away along my hopes of putting it back on the road, especially after a huge branch crashed the roof during last summer storm. It’s a 91 eclipse gst. I am being pressured by the more relevant members of my family to get rid of it but I am desperately clinging to it and the gazillion of spare parts I own, thinking about finding an AWD donor body for a full transplant.

Ian F

The Chameleon is finally starting to look like a bike. Dropper installed. Drivetrain installed and roughly tuned. Now I have to decide if I want to break open the brake lines to shorten up the hoses in an attempt to clean up the rat's nest of a cockpit... It's not like I have anything better to do... and the shoulder rehab might slow a bit since my health insurance denied coverage for further PT. The tricky part is a lack of space. I can have the trainer set up or the bike stand set up, but my living room isn't quite big enough to have both with adequate room to really work on a bike in the stand.

In other semi-bike-related news, I scheduled an appointment with a car audio place to have the alarm system and stereo in the big van (future biking camper) overhauled along with a back-up camera installed. And in a "well, duh..." moment, I realized an old diesel (the van has a old 7.3L IDI engine) starts a lot easier in cold weather if you plug the block heater in... as-in, it will crank the batteries dead and won't start if you don't plug it in. Something I'll definitely have to keep in mind if I plan to use the van in its current form for winter trips. Part of the camper conversion will be a diesel boiler that can also pre-heat the engine. And eventually, the engine will get replaced with a Cummins 12V - eventually... since that is another huge project I currently don't have room to do. Otherwise, the van drives pretty nicely - as long as you're not in a hurry (it's OMG-slow...).

jklett

The Chameleon is finally starting to look like a bike. Dropper installed. Drivetrain installed and roughly tuned. Now I have to decide if I want to break open the brake lines to shorten up the hoses in an attempt to clean up the rat's nest of a cockpit... It's not like I have anything better to do... and the shoulder rehab might slow a bit since my health insurance denied coverage for further PT. The tricky part is a lack of space. I can have the trainer set up or the bike stand set up, but my living room isn't quite big enough to have both with adequate room to really work on a bike in the stand.

In other semi-bike-related news, I scheduled an appointment with a car audio place to have the alarm system and stereo in the big van (future biking camper) overhauled along with a back-up camera installed. And in a "well, duh..." moment, I realized an old diesel (the van has a old 7.3L IDI engine) starts a lot easier in cold weather if you plug the block heater in... as-in, it will crank the batteries dead and won't start if you don't plug it in. Something I'll definitely have to keep in mind if I plan to use the van in its current form for winter trips. Part of the camper conversion will be a diesel boiler that can also pre-heat the engine. And eventually, the engine will get replaced with a Cummins 12V - eventually... since that is another huge project I currently don't have room to do. Otherwise, the van drives pretty nicely - as long as you're not in a hurry (it's OMG-slow...).
Liked for the bike and van coming along, sucks about the insurance denying PT. That just ain't right.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.

They make chinese diesel heaters for heating the van. Maybe route some pipes to the water system in from the heater?

Made my old trance 26/27.5 mullet. Test rode it and I like the result. I just need a dropper and it will be a trail ripper. Also need a nicer carbon rear wheel. Any one have one in there pile?

Attachments

• 18181.jpeg
    18181.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom