What have you done to your bike today?

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
Tis the season for Armadillo tires so I swapped out the Turbo Cottons and will live like a peasant for a while.

20230311_132910.jpg

JDurk

Hung my bike a few weeks ago and the levers went to the bars when I took it down. Bled both XTs this afternoon. All is good.
Taking back my "all is good" statement. I was wrong. During this morning's ride, literally had no rear brake and the squealing was terrible. Didn't really think the pads looked too bad and didn't clean them during the bleed. After the ride, scuffed them with some 220grit, cleaned with alcohol, lit them on fire, and wiped down the rotor. Reassembled and rode up and down the block, no change. Threw in some new resin pads and now all is good.

Question about pads. I had resin available, but still not sure about resin vs metallic. What's everyone's preference and why?

Forgot to mention this was on the rigid SS, with Enve carbon fork. While I had the caliper off, swapped the dropout and brake setup from 51mm to 44mm offset. Riding it today was noticeably different and I liked it. Steering didn't seem as twitchy and almost felt like it was under steering. Not a big deal and will get used to it.

kramonut

This is a new bike that I haven’t ridden yet… Finished the Invisiframe wrap, installed GX carbon cranks, Nukeproof pedals, stem & carbon bars, PNW grips. Just have to finish setting up the wheelset & suspension & it’ll be ready to go 😀

FF110D7D-DFA9-49E3-8E55-56CDC8416D14.jpeg

Cassinonorth

Question about pads. I had resin available, but still not sure about resin vs metallic. What's everyone's preference and why?

I was a metallic guy when I was running SRAM. Needed that bite to be strong whenever it eventually hit. I've been running the stock organic pads on my TRP's so far and liking them. May go to semi-metallic when they wear down.

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Resin tend to bite better cold where metallic need to warm up to get maximum grab. So for trail riding reson tend to be more suited. While metallic are more suited to high heat type use such as downhill riding

Steve Vai

Taking back my "all is good" statement. I was wrong. During this morning's ride, literally had no rear brake and the squealing was terrible. Didn't really think the pads looked too bad and didn't clean them during the bleed. After the ride, scuffed them with some 220grit, cleaned with alcohol, lit them on fire, and wiped down the rotor. Reassembled and rode up and down the block, no change. Threw in some new resin pads and now all is good.

Forgot to mention this was on the rigid SS, with Enve carbon fork. While I had the caliper off, swapped the dropout and brake setup from 51mm to 44mm offset. Riding it today was noticeably different and I liked it. Steering didn't seem as twitchy and almost felt like it was under steering. Not a big deal and will get used to it.

immortal2.gif

CNJRider

Joker
This is a new bike that I haven’t ridden yet… Finished the Invisiframe wrap, installed GX carbon cranks, Nukeproof pedals, stem & carbon bars, PNW grips. Just have to finish setting up the wheelset & suspension & it’ll be ready to go 😀

View attachment 209275
Nice ride. Did you get the gx carbon cranks on sale too? I was able to save 215 grams over the stock alloy crankset.

kramonut

Nice ride. Did you get the gx carbon cranks on sale too? I was able to save 215 grams over the stock alloy crankset.

You know…I can’t remember how much I got them for 😂. I bought them a few months back for a hardtail build that I procrastinated on & now they’re going on the new full sus…

Mind if I ask how much you got your set for?

CNJRider

Joker
You know…I can’t remember how much I got them for 😂. I bought them a few months back for a hardtail build that I procrastinated on & now they’re going on the new full sus…

Mind if I ask how much you got your set for?
Don’t mind at all. Got them online for 158 before tax. At that price, they dipped below the magical dollar per gram personal weight weenie threshold I’ve set for myself.

ChrisG

Unapologetic Lifer for Rock and Roll
Mrs Santa's Sister goes ROUND to make gear changes easier...

View attachment 209320
This is not a judgment of anyone else's choices, but I'd never be able to tolerate an oval ring on a fixed gear bike. Would drive me nuts.

44x17 is around 70", which is a really versatile gear for general road work.

That's actually the gear I currently have on my road fixie; not that I've ridden it lately. I miss it a lot.

Steve Vai

It's definitely weird at first. The loose/tight makes a lot more ruckus, especially at higher cadence. I usually run a 44x15 but have a 44x14 on right now. I have a pile of rings and cogs for when I get to take to the track for real.

one piece crank

BMX cassette driver bench testing. Comparing 4-pawl vs. 3-pawl engagement, I tested four drivers in a cassette hub.

Installing each driver and testing no-load engagement, the 4-pawl 9T and 11T, and the 3-pawl Cog drivers engaged all pawls on drive. I could consistently feel the solid, simultaneous click of all pawls, and even view this with the driver slid partially out.
The 4-pawl Cog driver however, did not do this. It appeared to have at least one pawl behind the others, evidenced by a multi-pawl click, then less rotation for a “single” pawl click - alternating with rotation. I was not able to visually confirm this, but it was easily felt.

Left to right:
  • Skyway 9T 4-pawl driver
  • Odyssey 11T 4-pawl driver
  • Odyssey cog driver 4-pawl
  • Odyssey cog driver 3-pawl

https://s3.amazonaws.com/uploads.bmxmuseum.com/user-images/246025/b45f4ce0-69d9-4d15-89bf-03747068f3f4640e2557a5.jpeg

Of course, this is all subject to real life loading, but it gives me a solid starting point - and I need to run a 14T.

Last edited:
Top Bottom