What have you done to your bike today?

Bike N Gear

Shop: Bike N Gear
Shop Keep
I've gotten decent at installing the inserts but this absolutely broke me. DD casing on the rear... Just couldn't get it. Whatever, I'm sure it'll be fine.

View attachment 196102

Try the Bead Bro yet?

serviceguy

Maybe I'm always doing it "wrong" but I got tired of the sealant mess when installing tires, especially ones with inserts. I install the tire on the rim, fill it up to seat the beads, pull the valve core to deflate it and then add the sealant through the valve as the last step. No mess.
mando-way-this-is-the-way.gif

Cassinonorth

Try the Bead Bro yet?

Sold out everywhere as your link says lol. I was thinking how nice that would've been to have the whole time. Next time my distributor re-ups I'll probably grab one.

Maybe I'm always doing it "wrong" but I got tired of the sealant mess when installing tires, especially ones with inserts. I install the tire on the rim, fill it up to seat the beads, pull the valve core to deflate it and then add the sealant through the valve as the last step. No mess.

That's 100% the right way but I got tired of dealing with the gunked up syringes after a few uses, also the insert has a channell that sucks up a bunch of sealant with that method. 95% of the time I do it clean with 0 sealant...this was a different beast. Exo casing feels like paper compared to DD or DH.

Anywho, Ripmo is almost Thunder Mountain ready. Jumped on that Transition bikes free day...just need the proper socket to tighten the new BB to spec and we'll be rideable here. Up to 33 lbs, 3 lbs heavier with the beefy tires and coil shock vs when I have it in full trail mode.

PXL_20220914_000402923.jpg

qclabrat

Sold out everywhere as your link says lol. I was thinking how nice that would've been to have the whole time. Next time my distributor re-ups I'll probably grab one.

That's 100% the right way but I got tired of dealing with the gunked up syringes after a few uses, also the insert has a channell that sucks up a bunch of sealant with that method. 95% of the time I do it clean with 0 sealant...this was a different beast. Exo casing feels like paper compared to DD or DH.

Anywho, Ripmo is almost Thunder Mountain ready. Jumped on that Transition bikes free day...just need the proper socket to tighten the new BB to spec and we'll be rideable here. Up to 33 lbs, 3 lbs heavier with the beefy tires and coil shock vs when I have it in full trail mode.

View attachment 196127
Nice setup and shop there

Turbotrix

I hear ya on the syringes. I had a few cheap one that were always problematic. I finally bought one of these and it's been solid. I just need to clean it right away after using it or it get's all gummed up.
IMG_0834.JPG

serviceguy

this is true of all syringes, especially used with tire sealant, never had even the cheap ones get gummed up if cleaned properly after use. . .
It's the nature of the liquid you're injecting, it will gum up in a tight space such as the tube/needle as it is its purpose. I use a Stan's syringe (which sucks BTW) but cleaning it with warm water after each use does the trick. I should add that I use WPL sealant made out of plant fibers and it tends to form clusters of fibers, still washing after use work every time.

qclabrat

First foray into Sturmey Archer. Lights don't work and shifting is rough on the Pashley. So far not impressed with English handmade.
PXL_20220915_210926670.jpg
PXL_20220915_210953793.jpg
PXL_20220915_211016265.jpg

Also working on a better English build, my new coffee getter
PXL_20220915_214121298.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220915_211444258.jpg
    PXL_20220915_211444258.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 28

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Found a front triangle so I could up size my park rat bike . Let's just say it was in bad shape. Talked to evil about repair and or crash replacement but this would put it way over what I was looking to spend on a 7 year old bike . Decided to fix the problem area myself . One of the suspension pivots were badly damaged and its a main pivot point that a bearing buts up against. Found 3mm thick conical washers so made a jig that allowed me to remove 2.95mm of material from each side . Left a lil extra so I can always clean up with a file if needed . Beveled edges test fit and everything seems fine . Also painted it purple afterwards because purple is best .
Before
20220915_170123.jpg

Repaired
20220916_171808.jpg

Painted

20220916_181339.jpg

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
Found a front triangle so I could up size my park rat bike . Let's just say it was in bad shape. Talked to evil about repair and or crash replacement but this would put it way over what I was looking to spend on a 7 year old bike . Decided to fix the problem area myself . One of the suspension pivots were badly damaged and its a main pivot point that a bearing buts up against. Found 3mm thick conical washers so made a jig that allowed me to remove 2.95mm of material from each side . Left a lil extra so I can always clean up with a file if needed . Beveled edges test fit and everything seems fine . Also painted it purple afterwards because purple is best .
Before
View attachment 196316
Repaired
View attachment 196317
Painted

View attachment 196318
Sweet.

a.s.

Mr. Chainring
this is true of all syringes, especially used with tire sealant, never had even the cheap ones get gummed up if cleaned properly after use. . .
I bought a small bottle of orange seal 3 years ago. Came with a short tube that fits over the valve. I kept the bottle for the sole purpose of using it with Stans to refill my tires. Works great and never gets gummed up.
1663369117469.jpeg

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
If only my works angleset arrives this week I'll be back to creek in no time . Took lots of measurements but I think my redneck frame repaired front triangle now lines up better w swingarm than the original did .replaced a few bearings and gave everything a good going over . Reminds me of my 98 rm125 .
20220918_182605.jpg

Turbotrix

I figured I'd give this a shot since i can't make friends with my Pike. It's been a constant battle over recommended sag vs hitting full travel, more tokens / less tokens, feeling good in rock gardens vs handling big hits/drops. Too many compromises thus far. Maybe I'm expecting too much since I'm comparing it to a ZEB and Fox 36.

I pulled 2 of 3 tokens and added about 10 psi. I've taken it 2 rides so far and it does seem better.
IMG_0728.JPG

Bikeworks

I figured I'd give this a shot since i can't make friends with my Pike. It's been a constant battle over recommended sag vs hitting full travel, more tokens / less tokens, feeling good in rock gardens vs handling big hits/drops. Too many compromises thus far. Maybe I'm expecting too much since I'm comparing it to a ZEB and Fox 36.

I pulled 2 of 3 tokens and added about 10 psi. I've taken it 2 rides so far and it does seem better. View attachment 196580
New Pike? I've heard that they are shipped with not nearly enough oil compared to spec.

Top Bottom