What have you done to your bike today?

Cassinonorth

New build time, moving on from the Intense 951. Rocky Mountain Element carbon frame. I bought the 30 build and swapped the new parts to the 951 to sell since I really didn't like any of their builds. The 50 was OK, the 70 was outrageously expensive for what you got. I liked what I had on the 951 so it works and someone will get a very new bike for cheap.

IMG_20220817_204114_01.jpg

Spent ~2 hours doing Ride Wrap full protection which was only 16 pieces vs 28 on the Ripmo... Probably took half the time and came out so much cleaner. New fork (Pike Ultimate) arrives today and I can finish the build hopefully tomorrow morning to ride during lunch.

Kaleidopete

So after replacing my 3rd brake caliper on the front wheel, they all became leakers that contaminate the pads and howl like crazy.
I blead the system using the full bowl on the leaver and opening the bleeder on the caliper. Went fine, but my lever felt a little too
squishy for my liking. So I blead again from the caliper up to the bowl on the lever. Went just fine. Still feels a little squishy, now I'd
really like to make myself happy with this, new caliper, and new pads. Adjusting the lever to the handlebar did nothing. I had an idea,
I made a shim to insert between the caliper pistons and the back of the brake pad. A very thin shim out of stainless steel, 0.06 mm.
Thar worked great, lever travel is nice and short, brakes don't drag, everything works fine. I'm a happy man. BUT, explaining what I did
to my motorcycle mechanic friend, he said that should have no effect, inserting that shim. I kinda see what he means, but for me it worked
perfectly, so I'm sticking to that story.
da shim
Dsc08814.jpg

Last edited:

rosceaux

I've bled and reset my hydraulic brakes a number of times. But man... I botched a pad replacement on my BB5s yesterday. Couldn't get the pads seated correctly, couldn't orient the calipers, couldn't stop the clanging. Off to the bike shop today.

TommyF

Currently having a hard time setting SRAM brakes up with MTX pads. It seems like the MTX pads are just slightly thicker then the stock SRAM pads resulting in brake drag. Currently sanding down the new pads slightly to stop the drag show. Calipers are all clean, pistons are all the way back and operate smoothly. Why doesn't anything go right the first time....

Karate Monkey

Currently having a hard time setting SRAM brakes up with MTX pads. It seems like the MTX pads are just slightly thicker then the stock SRAM pads resulting in brake drag. Currently sanding down the new pads slightly to stop the drag show. Calipers are all clean, pistons are all the way back and operate smoothly. Why doesn't anything go right the first time....

protip: most times, the screws make the caliper wander when you tighten it down. Put a drop of oil on the washer, under the bolt head.

That said, I've deffo seen aftermarket pads have this problem. Jagwire was the most guilty, when they were doing that "20% extra life!" nonsense...either they just barely fit, or you needed to sand off material, like you did.

Cassinonorth

Woke up stupid early yesterday in hopes to getting a ride in on the new bike before work (fail). Almost had it all done (press fit BB, cranks, cockpit, shifting adjustment, swap saddles) but didn't have a olive and barb for my rear line so I had to wait until the local shops opened at 10. No big deal, had to get some new side load cages anyway (2 bottles!!!).

PXL_20220819_212446996.jpg

Anyway, first shop didn't even know what I was asking for but found a shop that had them on hand for SRAM. Eventually got the bike feeling complete enough to ride by noon and took it on a spin on my local loop. Bike absolutely rips. 27 lbs and almost the exact same geometry as my Ripmo...it feels baffling. I've never felt so comfortable on a bike.

After the ride I needed to install the proper crown race (oops, maybe don't build up 2 bikes simultaneously next time) and adjust the preload on the cranks because it was a bit sloppy pedaling. If anyone hates those cheap plastic preloaders on SRAM cranks I can't recommend this upgrade enough:

Crank Preloader Black

serviceguy

36 travel reduction and stanchion replacement completed. Why I stretched a 20 minutes job over a month is anybody’s guess.

I wasn’t without incidents, I did not seat the brand new retaining ring on the air side, when I started pressurizing the fork to install the lowers the air spring was ejected across the driveway, bumped off the hood of the Mitsubishi Eclipse and landed in the weeds. No damage but the ring was lost forever, will probably become the subject of an epic saga in a few years when a slimey individual will accidentally find it…
80B758B7-DCD2-4D1F-AD59-8218C95AD02D.jpeg

Again, upside down picture. Apologies.

Then I installed it on the Honzo frame…it’s a collection of all the bronze tones available on the market. Not really digging it…wife saw the frame+fork on the stand. Cat is out of the bag. No comments so far, I either have some credit I forgot about or I am going to pay for this later. For now I’m heading to do the groceries. Stay tuned…
83732F49-9D48-4876-8CA6-A6425E92AE11.jpeg

Last edited:

Juggernaut

Master of the Metaphor
36 travel reduction and stanchion replacement completed. Why I stretched a 20 minutes job over a month is anybody’s guess.

I wasn’t without incidents, I did not seat the brand new retaining ring on the air side, when I started pressurizing the fork to install the lowers the air spring was ejected across the driveway, bumped off the hood of the Mitsubishi Eclipse and landed in the weeds. No damage but the ring was lost forever, will probably become the subject of an epic saga in a few years when a slimey individual will accidentally find it…
View attachment 194264

Then I installed it on the Honzo frame…it’s a collection of all the bronze tones available on the market. Not really digging it…wife saw the frame+fork on the stand. Cat is out of the bag. No comments so far, I either have some credit I forgot about or I am going to pay for this later. For now I’m heading to do the groceries. Stay tuned…
View attachment 194265
Yeah, I feel’ya. It’s like one of those un-exploded WW II sea mines. Wishing you luck in Navigating those waters. Love the bike so far BTW.

serviceguy

Yeah, I feel’ya. It’s like one of those un-exploded WW II sea mines. Wishing you luck in Navigating those waters. Love the bike so far BTW.
That is such a fitting description of what it feels like, the dread and fear of not knowing when disaster is going to happen, and yet the certainty that it is going to happen!

krink

Eddie Munster
New build time, moving on from the Intense 951. Rocky Mountain Element carbon frame. I bought the 30 build and swapped the new parts to the 951 to sell since I really didn't like any of their builds. The 50 was OK, the 70 was outrageously expensive for what you got. I liked what I had on the 951 so it works and someone will get a very new bike for cheap.

View attachment 194061

Spent ~2 hours doing Ride Wrap full protection which was only 16 pieces vs 28 on the Ripmo... Probably took half the time and came out so much cleaner. New fork (Pike Ultimate) arrives today and I can finish the build hopefully tomorrow morning to ride during lunch.
What kind of a work stand is that ?

djm

View attachment 194264

View attachment 194265
happened to me when i bought my hayduke last year. My wife made a comment about some lime green bike in the garage but we need $ to buy kids stuff/vacation/clothes/etc. I knew I was screwed and so I just corrected her and said its not lime green its called sublime :cool:

Top Bottom