What have you done to your bike today?

Karate Monkey

Dropped the handlebars 1.5cms (threaded stem, /flex ), and went out for an after-work ride. The fortuitous south wind, steadily blowing, meant that I was halfway home by the time I looked down and realized I had been riding for 30 minutes. My options were: turn around and crawl back to the car, or simply press on. It took almost an extra hour, but I got the rare treat of a warm ride on Ocean Ave with almost no traffic (crap beach day), AND a ripping tail wind that let me average ~21mph without working.

Le Crust is almost dialed in enough for some long 4+ hour days. The padded Newbaums tape is the bees knees, just remember to pull your ends farther up the bodies of the shifters if you split colors/rolls. They don't sit in place quite as nice as regular cloth tape at an end.

Steve Vai

Endurance Guy: Tolerates most of us.
I should be better at this by now...But, I cobbled a couple Boa kits together to make the shoe I broke Wednesday work well enough for the Jam. We have literally 1,000 pairs of shoes in stock, and no 43 MTB. Thanks Dyson.

20220617_073445.jpg

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
broke another pawl (minimally) on my fatbike. It would be nice if i could find my cassette tool for further diagnosis.
Usually right next to the chain whip no? well, NO!

Pulled my hardtail off the wall, and flat... added some sealant which mostly pissed on the floor through a failed dart.
Don't make me ride the SS..... TBC.

Guess I need to get a proper rear hub if i'm going to go out with a loaded backpack,
along with my personal mass......

Last edited:

iman29

broke another pawl (minimally) on my fatbike. It would be nice if i could find my cassette tool for further diagnosis.

Pulled my hardtail off the wall, and flat... added some sealant which mostly pissed on the floor through a failed dart.

Guess I need to get a proper hub back if i'm going to go out with a loaded backpack,

Bummer.

I was waiting for the part where you smashed it with a hammer.

Steve Vai

Guess I need to get a proper rear hub if i'm going to go out with a loaded backpack,

What hub is that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Steve Vai

Craethos Prep for Saturday's 400k. Finally got a Mirror Saddle in stock that I can buy (we're not allowed to buy the S-Works because they're limited). Added some bling while raising the bars 10mm for added comfort. Also swapped to a 35c tire for some extra squish. I haven't laced up my Rando wheels yet so I'm running the C38s.

PSX_20220620_190613.jpg

20220620_140403.jpg

PSX_20220620_190542.jpg

PSX_20220620_190703.jpg

Last edited:

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
The w1f3's 8sp shifter was acting up. I've seen posts from @Karate Monkey and @Fire Lord Jim to shoot some penetrant in there,
followed by some lube. Worked like a charm.

1655772231087.png

Lubed up the chain, and it is still under .75. played with all the adjustments and got it shifting pretty well.

1655772347241.png

1655772381867.png

Mounted it up in the trainer so she can rehab her ACL.

Last edited:

Kaleidopete

Bike was shifting a little gawky last week. I checked the chain and it was done, so I replaced it.
Two days later it's really acting up, chain jumping off gears and banging around like crazy.
All it could be is I also need a new cassette. Wasn't sure which one was on there, so I went to
remove it and read what it was. Went to remove the rear wheel and found the lever was already
three turns undone! That was it, the wheel was so loose. Maybe the big stick I picked up a while
ago hit the lever and loosened it, I don't know. Tightened everything up and decided to use my
new derailleur hanger tool to line things up. It's perfect now. Whew!

stick in wheel54.jpg

jdog

Shop: Halter's Cycles
Shop Keep
CA293776-B119-45EC-A6B0-FECD8BCD1024.jpeg

Orbea sent me this rallon which was used as a media test bike.

It’s a big bike, but it pedals well for a 160/170mm bikes. The coil on the rear is so stable, planted and lively. I love it.

This is the first bike I’ve spent time on the the sramano setup.. xt cass and chain w sram axs der and shifter. This setup is fantastic. Smoother and quieter than straight sram or Shimano. I still think xt brakes are crap and Magura’s will be on here soon. Yeah I said it.

This bike also has a different yoke which allows you to run a 27.5 rear wheel. That’s next too.

I really wanted to ride one of these after seeing so many glowing reviews everywhere about this bike. It’s just what they said. Climbs better than you’d expect and does everything better than average. This one has the box in the Down tube which is sor of gimmicky but neat. The magnetized mini tool in the main pivot is so clever though. Forgot a photo, but it’s legit.

Coming off an axs dropper, the fox feels old school. The axs post is fantastic and missed.

Race face wheels are good but coming off Moto rims and onyx hubs, these are underwhelming. Not bad though.

Not sure if I’ll keep this long term, but I already know that I’ll like it more as a mullet as that how I have my 429 which is so good.

Color is sweet. Green tinted clear coat over raw carbon. Doesn’t show here well, but it’s sweet in the sun.

Taking it to highland shortly and that’s where I know I’ll understand what this was made for a bit better.

Steve Vai

Laced my SP hub into my Terra wheel. I specifically bought the lower end Terra C because they use a standard 2x24h lace pattern as opposed to my Gravel CLX set that uses 2:1.

These will be my Rando/Bikepacking wheels. They can run a 32-48 tire which is perfect for a wide range of Adventuring.

20220623_140543.jpg

Top Bottom