What have you done to your bike today?

JDurk

Thanks for the info, John! Yeah, I thought it was a good time to try something new. I have always loved the Ikons for racing and they're probably ideal for spots like Wharton because they have always rolled very fast. But I wanted to see if I'd be happier with something a bit more aggressive in rockier spots like Wiss or FC right now - I haven't lined up for a race now in over two years and while I'd like to do something this year (pandemic permitting!) I think my overall plan is to just ride a ton this year and that means I'll have the luxury of playing with some new setup without worrying about sticking to what's worked for racing in the past. BTW - the front is a 2.4, which is only slightly larger than the 2.3 Ikon I had on there before, but holy crap does it ever look huge! Probably a combo of larger tread and the extra size, but it looks like a balloon on there!

A few other things I may play with this year - possibly going to pick up a ti cog form Boone to see how that rides. They're super expensive for cogs, so I'd probably just go with something like a 19 since that's my "go-to" gear for most rides. If I really love it, I might get a 20 for Rothrock rides, but I'd really have to love it a lot to get two at those prices. And, of course, my one other add this year (???) is my I9 wheels. I order a set of Trail 280 24 spokes last April and I am hoping they finally arrive soon (with "soon" basically meaning "in 2022 at some point.") My current front wheel is basically a dumpster fire being held together with duct tape and chewing gum at this point, so I really, really want those damn wheels to get here already.

There is one other thing I'm waiting on as well, but I'm kind of ashamed of that one ... it's a ... well ... it's ... got ... gears ...
Actually, that's been a plan for a couple of years now ever since my lower back decided it was done with me for good (who'd have guessed that riding only a SS for 12 years - and at least half of that time on rigid - could have negative effects on a middle aged body???) I figure if it ever arrives - it's a Niner RKT that has been on order since June - it'll be a nice change of pace now and then to keep the back from dipping out on me once and for all.
The 2.4 definitely looks bigger than it is. Also a tire that definitely changes feel with pressure. With my fat ass, I could get away with 18/20psi F/R and only rim strike occasionally with Flow EX rims. With the Rekons, I'm running 17/19. A thing I did notice when riding Wiss rocks, the side knobs will snap loudly when catching a rock. Sounds scary, but never had 1 rip the tire.

Boone Ti cog FTW. I bought an 18 and 19 when they were first available. Got the 18 in the $60-70 range, and the 19 in the $70-80 range. As demand went up, so did the pricing. I have a few brand new Surly cogs I'll be selling.

No shame in having a geared and FS option. I'm looking to get a suspension fork for my SS because of the recent surgery on my thumb. Also planning to sell both of my geared bikes and replace with 1 all around bike, which I'm also waiting for. I could always put a RD and gears on the SS.

robcleary

Finally built up my second wheelset to use for gravel rides. Looks a little off with slimmer tires on an MTB frame, but it rides great. They're 26x2.1 Panaracer Gravelking SK+. Also had 4 stripped rotor bolts delay the process but I eventually got them out. Now I'll just need to pick up a second set of 160mm rotors and a cassette for the other mtb wheelset and I'll be good to go.

Attachments

• PXL_20220128_220942097.jpg
    PXL_20220128_220942097.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20220128_220909367.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220128_220909367.MP.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 62

Bikeworks

So seeing @pygmypony stand that he built inspired me to do this, pretty happy with how it turned out. Once spring rolls around I'll either stain it or paint it. Leaning towards stain.
MTB stand.jpg

Here it is in action. I also took the time to add a new top tube protector to the HT. The paint is gorgeous in person, shifts in color. Unfortunately, there is a defect in the satin finish that resulted in some flaking on the top tube and one of the seatstays. Specialized is willing to warranty the frame, but they no longer have the color (and I LOVE the color). So I got a pretty cool design from Ground Keeper that seems to work, matched the fender in style as well. Didn't bother with the seat/chain stay protection, preferring to leave the clear that's there as I felt the additional graphics would be a bit too much as they leave gaps between where they end and other decals begin.

Epic stand.jpg

robcleary

Some winter maintenance for the YT. Got a full damper and wiper service done on the fork and shock from Gearwork, just got around to reinstalling. Also did a quick clean/re-grease of the headset, cassette, freehub, and the shock mount hardware.

Attachments

• PXL_20220205_223327131.jpg
    PXL_20220205_223327131.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20220205_213230011.jpg
    PXL_20220205_213230011.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 53

pygmypony

So seeing @pygmypony stand that he built inspired me to do this, pretty happy with how it turned out. Once spring rolls around I'll either stain it or paint it. Leaning towards stain.
View attachment 177956

Here it is in action. I also took the time to add a new top tube protector to the HT. The paint is gorgeous in person, shifts in color. Unfortunately, there is a defect in the satin finish that resulted in some flaking on the top tube and one of the seatstays. Specialized is willing to warranty the frame, but they no longer have the color (and I LOVE the color). So I got a pretty cool design from Ground Keeper that seems to work, matched the fender in style as well. Didn't bother with the seat/chain stay protection, preferring to leave the clear that's there as I felt the additional graphics would be a bit too much as they leave gaps between where they end and other decals begin.

View attachment 177957
super nice! next level!

Ryan.P

Team MTBNJ Halter's
Getting park bike ready , 160 canfield cranks , ochain spider , renthal chainring and handlebar. Was previously running spank bar that had less back and upsweep and would occasionally flare up my tennis elbow. So now all my bikes have same handlebars .
20220206_121417.jpg
20220206_121307.jpg

Top Bottom