What have you done to your bike today?

Wanted to put some fresh chainrings on it, turned out to be more cost effective to get a NOS crankset.
IMG_1398.jpg

Did not have a Octolink puller, so I tried this
IMG_1359.jpg

Did not work, squashed the dime, and pulled the head off the puller, both got stuck in the spindle.
When I knocked them out with an 8mm allen wrench, they shot across the floor of the shop, never to be seen again....
Got the right tool and it went easier

Also did the jockey wheels while I was at it
IMG_1454.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

Trickiest bit ended up being the rear bit of shifting-
I replaced the hanger, and that helped mostly,
but not fully.
Crisp shifts at the ends of the cassette, but in the middle, I was getting some ghost shifting.
Weird.
Maybe the rear der is toast too....

As I was about to pull the trigger on a new rear der (good luck finding one),
I decided to really look at the situation-
Lo and behold, it was the cassette-
Turns out it was a cassette I had managed to bend the cog for the 4th lowest gear.
I had no idea how I did that, but I did.
And took it off the bike and put it in the cabinet.
So that explains why there was a nearly new cassette sitting on the shelf.

A little impact persuasion, and I got it within tolerances- shifting is crispy all through the range!

Also there was the tires-
It came with Hans Damnits on there, which are way more aggressive than she needs.
It'll see mostly gravel duty, so something lower profile was in order.

So for 27.5's there is a solid selection of tires between 30-50mm, then there's a gap until you get to 2.25-2.8.
After spending waaaay too much time thinking and looking, went with 2.1 Gravel Kings-
The bike was originally specc'ed with 2.0's, so I figured this would work.
IMG_2076.jpg

Shakedown ride today confirmed- these are the ones....
When we were out today running from the rain, she was right on my wheel.

And final pic again because end.
IMG_2074.jpg

Figure while it's raining, might as well button Fatty McStretchy Balls up.

Salsa stem. Carbon Descendant bar off the Sqweeb. Ran a new uncut rear hose. New pads in the rear. Quarq install while I wait for the Ignite Crankset I ordered at the Philly Expo. 2 new rainbow chains. ($170 for those playing along) Dished the rear wheel to clear the chain with the non-compatible 100mm rim and 4.8 tire. 10-speed spacer behind the cassette to help get another 1.5mm. Don't have a quick bleed kit here so the brake still needs to be finished.

20211113_142032.jpg

20211113_144203.jpg

I guess bad things qualify as what have been done to your bike; I couldn't have hit that stick at a better angle. Of course @jdog is used to me bringing in things I break on the regular. View attachment 170929
FFS, that sucks!!! Was the RD salvageable at least?

Like a lot of you today, decided to use the crap weather to my advantage. Took to doing some light PM on the hardtail. I topped off the brake lines with fluid, cleaned out the tires of dried sealant and added new, checked all the bolts on the bike. I also installed the new Wolf Tooth chainring and bashguard I posted earlier in the week, which prompted a drivetrain cleanup.

IMG-1791.jpg

Wanted to put some fresh chainrings on it, turned out to be more cost effective to get a NOS crankset.
View attachment 170892

View attachment 170891
Did not work, squashed the dime, and pulled the head off the puller, both got stuck in the spindle.
When I knocked them out with an 8mm allen wrench, they shot across the floor of the shop, never to be seen again....

View attachment 170894

View attachment 170893

View attachment 170895

but not fully.
Crisp shifts at the ends of the cassette, but in the middle, I was getting some ghost shifting.
Weird.

Turns out it was a cassette I had managed to bend the cog for the 4th lowest gear.

A little impact persuasion, and I got it within tolerances- shifting is crispy all through the range!

It came with Hans Damnits on there, which are way more aggressive than she needs.

So for 27.5's there is a solid selection of tires between 30-50mm, then there's a gap until you get to 2.25-2.8.
After spending waaaay too much time thinking and looking, went with 2.1 Gravel Kings-
View attachment 170897

View attachment 170896
If you want to get rid of that SS tensioner, I know a guy....

FFS, that sucks!!! Was the RD salvageable at least?

Like a lot of you today, decided to use the crap weather to my advantage. Took to doing some light PM on the hardtail. I topped off the brake lines with fluid, cleaned out the tires of dried sealant and added new, checked all the bolts on the bike. I also installed the new Wolf Tooth chainring and bashguard I posted earlier in the week, which prompted a drivetrain cleanup.

IMG-1791.jpg
Rear derailleur was fine, hanger did its job. Chain and the ride were screwed but I'm glad I was only a mile in.

Figure while it's raining, might as well button Fatty McStretchy Balls up.

Salsa stem. Carbon Descendant bar off the Sqweeb. Ran a new uncut rear hose. New pads in the rear. Quarq install while I wait for the Ignite Crankset I ordered at the Philly Expo. 2 new rainbow chains. ($170 for those playing along) Dished the rear wheel to clear the chain with the non-compatible 100mm rim and 4.8 tire. 10-speed spacer behind the cassette to help get another 1.5mm. Don't have a quick bleed kit here so the brake still needs to be finished.

View attachment 170918

View attachment 170919
You weren’t kidding about that Hu-Du. It’s massive 👍

View attachment 170892

View attachment 170891

View attachment 170894

View attachment 170893

View attachment 170895

but not fully.
Weird.

View attachment 170897

View attachment 170896
Dude that came out nice!! I wish you had asked me about the crank tool.... I bought the same park tools one just for that bike and will have zero use for it now. Cool seeing some new life in that thing. After about a 12 year hiatus I saw some dudes loading bikes up at Lewmo and started telling my wife about racing bikes when I was a teen.... Bought that bike a week later.

Dude that came out nice!! I wish you had asked me about the crank tool.... I bought the same park tools one just for that bike and will have zero use for it now. Cool seeing some new life in that thing. After about a 12 year hiatus I saw some dudes loading bikes up at Lewmo and started telling my wife about racing bikes when I was a teen.... Bought that bike a week later.
Thanks man!
It was a fun low key project,
and she loves it which is all the better.
It will definitely have a long (and less abusive ;) ) second life...

Had a large discrepancy between piston position so did a little reset...feels much better now. Guessing the one piston was basically pushing the rotor into the other one as a way of stopping instead of getting equal power from both.

PXL_20211115_230839670.jpg

Installed a Kabolt in place of the quick release

PXL_20211115_230813767.jpg

and installed a 28t oval chainring (AXS has made it painfully clear I do not use the 4 hardest gears in my cassette. Not ashamed of going to a granny gear.

PXL_20211115_230822490.jpg

Okay NOW it's done.
Had a large discrepancy between piston position so did a little reset...feels much better now. Guessing the one piston was basically pushing the rotor into the other one as a way of stopping instead of getting equal power from both.

View attachment 171073

Installed a Kabolt in place of the quick release

View attachment 171072

and installed a 28t oval chainring (AXS has made it painfully clear I do not use the 4 hardest gears in my cassette. Not ashamed of going to a granny gear.

View attachment 171071

Back
Top Bottom