What have you done to your bike today?

jShort

2018 Fantasy Football Toilet Bowl Lead Technician
Team MTBNJ Halter's
Hopefully I don’t break them too fast.
36B1E699-F13F-4123-A636-72D9EC8DE587.jpeg

Mathers

Second that. Also, if you're looking for legs exercising why not converting it to SS? My wife's diamondback had the same horrible derailleur/shifter as well, I upgraded it to my old XT and it's night and day.
I’d like to have the flexibility of gears. I also want to spend as little money as possible on it.
I think I’ll take @sundaydoug advice seems the easiest.
the brakes and shifter combo is a total piece of shit.

JDurk

The chain ultrasound cleaning went well, I think.

The 10 speed chain was in there for a few times with diluted Pedro'd Pig Juice as a media, ton of gunk came out of it (although I'm sure there was more). After manually cleaning it and drying it I had it laying vertical on a plastic sheet and applied a generous amount of Maxima Chain Wax (it was a freebie from this summer, probably too expensive to do this routinely). As expected the wax brought out some more gunk from inside the rollers (hopefully replacing it). Wiped it and installed it. Wow, what a difference! Is it possible it's better than new? It does smell delicious, so there's that.
I've read some people put the chain, with gasoline, in a sealed jar in an ultrasonic cleaner with water as media.

Edit.....totally joking, don't do this kids.

Last edited:

Karate Monkey

Please, use mineral spirits--they're flammable...but gasoline is explosive, especially when you put it in a closed container and it begins to vaporize.

serviceguy

I've read some people put the chain, with gasoline, in a sealed jar in an ultrasonic cleaner with water as media.
I'm hoping you were joking...or does that make it even worse?

Please, use mineral spirits--they're flammable...but gasoline is explosive, especially when you put it in a closed container and it begins to vaporize.
I tend to read the instructions for everything I use (most times before I use it), so that wasn't going to happen...I'll stick to non flammable degreaser, seems to work fine. Not planning to do much ultrasonic chain cleaner either, seems like a lot of work.

knobbyhead

Next off the Island.
I have a brand new 9speed LX derailleur you can have for $5. Not sure if it's compatible. Someone check me and let us know.

I have a brand new 9speed LX derailleur you can have for $5. Not sure if it's compatible. Someone check me and let us know.
Yes it is 9 and 8 speed derailleur are compatible. They use the same pull ratios. I might have a 8 speed shifter.

Top Bottom