What have you done to your bike today?

Replaced the 30T for 28T to make up for my recent lack in fitness. :oops:

IMG_4014.jpg

How do I remove this crank ? The smallest chain
67543D5F-070D-43C3-99C3-1572A7295C6C.jpeg
Looking to get this pos working so I can ride it around town.

Depends on if you can fit a new narrow wide chainring. You could probably rig something if you use a derailleur with a clutch and a chain guide up front if they're riveted.

I did on my old Moto-Bacon.... remove all 3 rings and install a 104bcd (assume) in the middle ring position. Bob’s your uncle (British slang) you’re now a one-by.

BTW, NW ring is more important than the clutch RD for chain retention.... noisy doe w/out the clutch RD.

Thanks Jay I have one though. Can I make this a 1x ?
Yes... but what are you looking to do? Cruise with the kids or do something stupid and try to go fast with it?
If cruise with the kids... go for it.
If later... keep it as a 3x or 2x because you are prolly going to run out of gears if you run anything less than a 34t chainring.
I run a 36t on the Fredkenstein and I am spinning out on the downhills.

Yes... but what are you looking to do? Cruise with the kids or do something stupid and try to go fast with it?
If cruise with the kids... go for it.
If later... keep it as a 3x or 2x because you are prolly going to run out of gears if you run anything less than a 34t chainring.
I run a 36t on the Fredkenstein and I am spinning out on the downhills.
I want something o can ride around after it’s crappy like this week and the trails are a mess. I’ll probably Stick with the 3x

Losing the cast and feeling good enough to walk around a bit got me motivated to get moving on my gravel/road/recovery bike project. Converting this U-08 I picked up off the side of the road into a retro mod gravel grinder. Today I mostly finished disassembly, and cold set the frame and fork to fit modern, 700c wheels. My homemade tools worked perfectly. Next step? Drill out the cotters on the crappy crank set, as all the other methods of removal failed miserably !
20191031_140910.jpg
20191031_150721.jpg

Losing the cast and feeling good enough to walk around a bit got me motivated to get moving on my gravel/road/recovery bike project. Converting this U-08 I picked up off the side of the road into a retro mod gravel grinder. Today I mostly finished disassembly, and cold set the frame and fork to fit modern, 700c wheels. My homemade tools worked perfectly. Next step? Drill out the cotters on the crappy crank set, as all the other methods of removal failed miserably !View attachment 109474View attachment 109475

Cut a piece of pipe to fit under the crank, with cotter inside, resting on the floor (put tires on, first). A piece of hardwood is okay, too, but requires more prep work.

Most of the time that cotters fail to come out, it's a question of the frame/bike moving while you are trying to drive it out.

Losing the cast and feeling good enough to walk around a bit got me motivated to get moving on my gravel/road/recovery bike project. Converting this U-08 I picked up off the side of the road into a retro mod gravel grinder. Today I mostly finished disassembly, and cold set the frame and fork to fit modern, 700c wheels. My homemade tools worked perfectly. Next step? Drill out the cotters on the crappy crank set, as all the other methods of removal failed miserably !View attachment 109474View attachment 109475

Glad to hear you’re on the mend. ?

Cut a piece of pipe to fit under the crank, with cotter inside, resting on the floor (put tires on, first). A piece of hardwood is okay, too, but requires more prep work.

Most of the time that cotters fail to come out, it's a question of the frame/bike moving while you are trying to drive it out.

Also, don't remove the nut entirely but unscrew it so it's flush with the end of the thread, it gives you a little bit more of surface to hit with the hammer. Once the pin moves than you can remove it entirely.

Glad to hear your feet on the ground again!

Oh, and I wold use a clamp at the seat stays bridge to prevent the bridge welding from being stressed by being pulled sideways. Same with the BB welds.

Back
Top Bottom