What have you done to your bike today?

pkovo

Pulled my old Klein out of it's garage cocoon and Installed a 24 speed drivetrain pieced together using old used parts I found. Couldn't find an 8 speed shifter, but luckily my LBS still stocks them. I'm sure it's going to shift like a dream!

w_b

Pulled my old Klein out of it's garage cocoon and Installed a 24 speed drivetrain pieced together using old used parts I found. Couldn't find an 8 speed shifter, but luckily my LBS still stocks them. I'm sure it's going to shift like a dream!

Capture.JPG

qclabrat

My kid is going to Rutgers this fall and she told me she wants a bike. I have not sold the Rascal for $150 so it's getting a make over the next few weeks. Though I'll let her take an old Gary Fisher instead to see if it gets stolen.

Kaleidopete

So I was working on my front brakes squeak today.
The photo shows clean pads before ride and dirty/glazed after about only 10 miles.
Today I also removed the rotor and really cleaned it up and re cleaned the pads again.
I'll see how they work tomorrow. A weird thing happened though. I had the bike flipped
up on the seat & bars to remove the front wheel & rotor. When I got done and squeezed
the brake lever I had none! I pumped the lever a few times and it started to come back. Now it feels OK.
The weird thing too is that the back brake lever was the same, no brakes, until I pumped them up too. I didn't do anything
to the rear brakes today, but lost the pressure after flipping the bike onto the seat & bars. I've never had this happen before.
Losing brake pressure in my hydraulic system just because I flipped it. So why did I loose pressure?
clean on start of ride, 10 miles later glazed/dirty
breaks FR.jpg

Last edited:

Mathers

So I was working on my front brakes squeak today.
The photo shows clean pads before ride and dirty/glazed after about only 10 miles.
Today I also removed the rotor and really cleaned it up and re cleaned the pads again.
I'll see how they work tomorrow. A weird thing happened though. I had the bike flipped
up on the seat & bars to remove the front wheel & rotor. When I got done and squeezed
the brake lever I had none! I pumped the lever a few times and it started to come back. Now it feels OK.
The weird thing too is that the back brake lever was the same, no brakes, until I pumped them up too. I didn't do anything
to the rear brakes today, but lost the pressure after flipping the bike onto the seat & bars. I've never had this happen before.
Losing brake pressure in my hydraulic system just because I flipped it. So why did I loose pressure?
clean on start of ride, 10 miles later glazed/dirty
View attachment 100468
Try some high grit sandpaper on the pads and rotors.
Which brand of brakes ?

Kaleidopete

Try some high grit sandpaper on the pads and rotors.
Which brand of brakes ?
Shimano, metal pads. I tried the non metallic and same thing. I've been cleaning everything regularly.
Sometimes it works for a while. Weird thing happened today, I left my bike outside overnight and when I rode this morning there was no squeal!
After a few miles squeal returned periodically. Another weird thing is when the rear brake is squealing while braking, if I pedal hard while braking is immediately goes away, only to return when I stop pedaling.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member
Shimano, metal pads. I tried the non metallic and same thing. I've been cleaning everything regularly.
Sometimes it works for a while. Weird thing happened today, I left my bike outside overnight and when I rode this morning there was no squeal!
After a few miles squeal returned periodically. Another weird thing is when the rear brake is squealing while braking, if I pedal hard while braking is immediately goes away, only to return when I stop pedaling.

Are the pads symmetric? Switch sides.
This was a trick I used to stop rim brakes from squealing. Not sure it applies, but worth a shot

Last edited:
Top Bottom