What have you done to your bike today?

mtbiker87

Gotta say I'm with Paul on this. As a person with some mechanical experience, I also like to tinker and experiment. I have went the wolftooth, one up, path in the past, and yes...it certainly works. In fact... works pretty damn well. BUT...went full company line with the Knolly( shimano xt 11spd 11/46 ) and so far I'm glad I did. With little more than basic tuning it shifts great, and with less BS than swapping cages and cogs, and all that. On a budget build on existing equipment ?..yeah..I might go the hacks and bodges,way again. But damn man...for brand new build ?.....Not me.

serviceguy

The only problem I had was due to a broken rear derailleur spring that wasn't pulling back the cage in the highest gears, it took a while to diagnose it because it was supposed to be 'as good as new' so I wasn't inclined to take it apart, but once that was out of the way the 'customized' parts worked as designed.

Is it too geeky if I show you the chart I made to evaluate the different gear ratios and step up from the previous gear?

XT CS-M8000 Gear Ratios.JPG

qclabrat

The only problem I had was due to a broken rear derailleur spring that wasn't pulling back the cage in the highest gears, it took a while to diagnose it because it was supposed to be 'as good as new' so I wasn't inclined to take it apart, but once that was out of the way the 'customized' parts worked as designed.

Is it too geeky if I show you the chart I made to evaluate the different gear ratios and step up from the previous gear?

View attachment 88916
Not at all, I have one somewhere to figure out combos for different bikes

Paul H

Fearless OOS Poser
I prolly would have ended up buying a new RD... because I would have broken it while trying to diagnose lol

View attachment 88916
Not trying to be a dick, but do you know what .6122 feels like? I have no clue. Just know that its easier than .7143... but what does that really mean?
Like when I hear 300 watts... I get thats hard... but those numbers doesn't explain to me how it feels.

Patrick

Overthinking the draft from the basement already
Staff member

View attachment 88916

are you going to factor in wheel size and crank length ???
if you are going to geek out, go full-on!!! :D

shrpshtr325

Infinite Source of Sarcasm
Team MTBNJ Halter's
I prolly would have ended up buying a new RD... because I would have broken it while trying to diagnose lol

Not trying to be a dick, but do you know what .6122 feels like? I have no clue. Just know that its easier than .7143... but what does that really mean?
Like when I hear 300 watts... I get thats hard... but those numbers doesn't explain to me how it feels.

borrow a power meter and see what 300 watts feels like!

serviceguy

I had a new RD already so I used it, I just feel compelled to fix things in my possession even if it's not economically the best decision. I guess you can call me a 'no crap left behind' type of guy...

The point was to find the more linear progression without big jumps between one gear and the next one, not the 'feel' of each gear. As per Wolftooth website then, the 49T allows for 7 shifting gates instead of the 4 on the 46T, shifting should be almost twice as fast. That's the theory of it...

Top Bottom